Upland/Bird hunting pants

I have been using LL Bean Upland Field Pants with GORE-TEX for the past three years and they have worked well for me. They were noisy when new but, after several washings, they are now as quiet than any other nylon field pants I've owned. I've even wore them on a deer hunt a couple of years ago, and they held up well in a steady, cold rain and I stayed dry and warm.

I started out with a pair of Carhartt brush pants. Worked well but wore out in a couple of years. I replaced them with Filson Tin Cloth chaps about 20 years ago and am still using them. They are a little warm but I've never considered them heavy. I'm guessing one of my boys will still be wearing them after I'm gone.

I just wear First Lite Kanab 2.0's and some gaiters. With the amount of hiking I do, I find anything else to be too hot. Yeah, I do spend a few minutes removing some burrs at the end of the day, but that is much better than sweating my ass off all day.

I'm no help. I hunt quail here in Texas in all types of weather. I've worn Filson Chaps on every hunt for over 20 years. I wouldn't change a thing about them. They are awesome. Good luck on your search.

For what it's worth, one of the things I like about them is the knowledge that I hunt in areas where we have a lot of rattlesnakes and I don't worry about where I step as much with my Filson chaps on. It's gonna take a pretty big rattler to punch through those things.

I use my Sitka Cloudburst pants. Keeps me dry on wet mornings, and the thorns just slide right off. Lighter than any upland pants I ever had. The only downside is that, being goretex, they heat up when it's warm, but deal with that by cracking the top end of the leg zips to vent heat.

If you're on a budget I would look into either Wrangler Pro Series or Cabelas Roughnecks. Both came at the top of our list when we reviewed different pairs of upland hunting pants here.

Back