Upland Forum?

ianpadron

WKR
What's the Rokslide equivalent in the Upland forum world?

Looking to pick up some upland specific gear and do a little reading.

Michael54

WKR
I know there's facebook groups but im not aware of any specific forum. There's a couple bird dog forums i've found in my searches but most seem to have died off.

What kind of gear are you looking for? I am sure there are enough upland hunters to help you out here. The only specific forums I have come across are state specific forums like Minnesota outdoors

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
What kind of gear are you looking for? I am sure there are enough upland hunters to help you out here. The only specific forums I have come across are state specific forums like Minnesota outdoors
O/U shotgun, Garmin for a dog, med kit recommendations etc.

Michael54

WKR
O/U shotgun, Garmin for a dog, med kit recommendations etc.
I run a mossberg silver reserve ll in 20 gauge, garmin pro 70 collar with a bell on it, and put my own kit together. I have high end o/u citori but usually its a safe queen unless im shooting clays.

Michael54

WKR
Yeah they're decent little guns for sure, I'm looking to pick up a used Franchi SL, appreciate the input on GPS and med kit!
The gps collars garmin has a pro550 that shouldn't break the bank for a one dog setup that tracks and has the e collar function. Lions country supply and okie dog supply are where i buy almost all of my stuff. Lions country is right up the road from me and has a pile of stuff. Okie dog supply is in oklahoma and mike and nancy franklin are awesome people!

Michael54

WKR
Med kit i have one i keep in the truck in a metal case, and a small one i keep in a dry bag. Major things id say are clotting powder, antiseptic, gauze, vet wrap, curved hemostats, tweezers, and a skin stapler. I carry penicillin and benedryl in the truck case in case a snake gets ahold of a dog. The liquid bandage spray comes in handy for an ear or tail that gets knicked but doesn't wanna stop bleeding as well. Of all of the items ive used mostly the liquid bandage spray and the hemostats/tweezers the most. Usually to pull out a thorn or stop a knick or scratch from bleeding

Ten Bears

WKR
Big upland guy, maybe my favorite thing to do.

I have used Beretta OU in the 680 platforms for years on ruffed grouse and woodies. Solid as they come. Also went through an old Ithaca phase.

Typically use a Benelli semi auto or Browning semi on ring necks.

I have used vests or packs from Filson, Orvis, Wing Works, Quilomene, and LL Bean over the past decade.

Currently running the Garmin Alpha 100 with a TT10 collar. Have had it since it launched. Great product and great piece of mind. I use it in tandem with ONX.

I used to carry a lot in my vest for meds. Now it’s just a blood clot gel, a custom conibear opener when hunting trapped areas, a small thing of wrap/tape. The rest stays in the truck. If hunting new areas I keep a list of local 24 hour vets. Some common meds go a long way. Flagyl for diarrhea. Novox or Carprofen for inflammation. Amoxicillin. Etc.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Jus got back from ND and the Upper in Michigan this week. The dog somehow poked a hole in the webbing of his paw. Med kit came in handy.

Well let’s see what your price range is? You can get spendy in every category. If you are looking for top of the line buy once cry once you are looking at paycheck or two difference to something that will just get you by.

for the dog collar if I would make a recommendation it would be between three. Least expensive and base line for a collar is the sport pro. Works great, doesn’t break the bank and will last but you really need to pay attention to the dogs location. If you hunt thick areas or woods it’s tough to keep track of your dog without a bell or beeper. Next level is the 550 pro. (Not just the 550, be sure you get the pro) the 550 plus gives you an arrow to the dog and distance he is from you. Excellent middle ground Gps collar. You can also attach it to a Garmin watch which will also show the direction the dog is and distance. Nice feature is it will also alarm you when the dog goes on point. The next level and top of the line is the Alpha which is amazing. They just came out with the alpha 200 which covers a few flaws that the alpha 100 had. Both are still awesome. You can likely find a used alpha 100 with someone upgrading to the 200. What is nice about this collar is it is the rino Gps with a collar. So you will have a Gps, dog collar and emergency text like the inreach has (if you pay for the subscription) and its all in one unit. Plus you can link it with other alphas and collars. I know guys that take them elk and deer hunting. Put the collar or each have the handheld and they can see where each other are at all times. Throw the collars in everyone’s pack and one guy can see where anyone else is. Plus with your dog you can quickly see his tracks. So if he missed an area you can double back and cover specific areas. It’s the bees knees but your looking at around a grand with the collar. The 550 pro and alpha use the same collars. You can always get the 550 pro and upgrade to the alpha later and use the same collars. Depending on the size of your dog you have two different size collars. The mini works well with any dog. The big one is a lot of collar for anything smaller than a large dog, 55lb or less.

gun... can’t help you with an O/U. I shoot a semi or SxS Turn that O/U 90 deg and you might hit more birds... :)

vest, I do guided hunts and need a big vest and have been using a Columbia for the last 10 years. However it sucks in the hot weather and doesn’t have good support so I did a lot of research and just received my “final rise” vest this season. It is awesome and I love it. Wish I had bought it years ago. There are some good ones out there. This guy that makes these By hand, does all the work himself with his wife in their house. Does a great job but there is a wait. It was worth the wait to me. Plus you are supporting an American made dream of a fella competing with the big dogs and making a great impression in the upland world.

med kit... keep some waterproof medical tape on you. You shouldn’t need much. Anything else keep in the truck. If you have a cut, puncture or break the tape can do it all until you get to the truck. If it’s a cut Or puncture you can tape up a piece of your shirt as gauze to get the dog to the truck. A break you can splint it with tape and carry him back. Have a basic kit in the truck to hold him over to get to the vet if it’s needed.

Last edited:

Oregon

WKR
Shooting an O/U for proper upland birds I.e. chukar/Huns/quail/pheasant is beyond my scope of thinking. I walk and walk and walk, mostly uphill. Birds flush. I go boom boom boom.
Way better than boom boom.
Then I mark covey where they land. Walk a mile.
Boom boom boom.
I shoot ducks with an O/U. Never ever would I shoot uplands with one.
Come gain 1000’ feet daily chasing them. You’d appreciate the 3rd shell

jmez

WKR
Interesting perspectives. I use an O/U for all of my upland hunting. I wouldn't shoot waterfowl with it. BPS 10 for geese, SX 2 for ducks.

Also shoot a Red Label which most people dislike because of the barrel weight.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Shooting an O/U for proper upland birds I.e. chukar/Huns/quail/pheasant is beyond my scope of thinking. I walk and walk and walk, mostly uphill. Birds flush. I go boom boom boom.
Way better than boom boom.
Then I mark covey where they land. Walk a mile.
Boom boom boom.
I shoot ducks with an O/U. Never ever would I shoot uplands with one.
Come gain 1000’ feet daily chasing them. You’d appreciate the 3rd shell

Haha, I hear you 100%. I have a Franchi 48 AL in 20 gauge that goes boom, boom, boom, just looking to add to the safe.

I like the look and feel of o/u's and the lack of any sort of gas/inertia recoil system moving the gun between shots, especially in a 20.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
What kind of dog and what kind of cover.

Currently have a field golden who is a duck retrieving pro that I want to try on grouse/pheasant/chukkar/quail, and on the wait list for a GSP next spring. Relatively open cover here in the NW

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Well let’s see what your price range is? You can get spendy in every category. If you are looking for top of the line but once cry once you are looking at paycheck or two difference to something that will just get you by.

for the dog collar if I would make a recommendation it would be between three. Least expensive and base line for a collar is the sport pro. Works great, doesn’t break the bank and will last but you really need to pay attention to the dogs location. If you hunt thick areas or woods it’s tough to keep track of your dog without a bell or beeper. Next level is the 550 pro. (Not just the 550, be sure you get the pro) the 550 plus gives you an arrow to the dog and distance he is from you. Excellent middle ground Gps collar. You can also attach it to a Garmin watch which will also show the direction the dog is and distance. Nice feature is it will also alarm you when the dog goes on point. The next level and top of the line is the Alpha which is amazing. They just came out with the alpha 200 which covers a few flaws that the alpha 100 had. Both are still awesome. You can likely find a used alpha 100 with someone upgrading to the 200. What is nice about this collar is it is the rino Gps with a collar. So you will have a Gps, dog collar and emergency text like the inreach has (if you pay for the subscription) and its all in one unit. Plus you can link it with other alphas and collars. I know guys that take them elk and deer hunting. Put the collar or each have the handheld and they can see where each other are at all times. Throw the collars in everyone’s pack and one guy can see where anyone else is. Plus with your dog you can quickly see his tracks. So if he missed an area you can double back and cover specific areas. It’s the bees knees but your looking at around a grand with the collar. The 550 pro and alpha use the same collars. You can always get the 550 pro and upgrade to the alpha later and use the same collars. Depending on the size of your dog you have two different size collars. The mini works well with any dog. The big one is a lot of collar for anything smaller than a large dog, 55lb or less.

gun... can’t help you with an O/U. I shoot a semi or SxS Turn that O/U 90 deg and you might hit more birds... :)

vest, I do guided hunts and need a big vest and have been using a Columbia for the last 10 years. However it sucks in the hot weather and doesn’t have good support so I did a lot of research and just received my “final rise” vest this season. It is awesome and I love it. Wish I had bought it years ago. There are some good ones out there. This guy that makes these By hand, does all the work himself with his wife in their house. Does a great job but there is a wait. It was worth the wait to me. Plus you are supporting an American made dream of a fella competing with the big dogs and making a great impression in the upland world.

med kit... keep some waterproof medical tape on you. You shouldn’t need much. Anything else keep in the truck. If you have a cut, puncture or break the tape can do it all until you get to the truck. If it’s a cut Or puncture you can tape up a piece of your shirt as gauze to get the dog to the truck. A break you can splint it with tape and carry him back. Have a basic kit in the truck to hold him over to get to the vet if it’s needed.
Super helpful insight all around, thank you!

Oregon

WKR
Interesting perspectives. I use an O/U for all of my upland hunting. I wouldn't shoot waterfowl with it. BPS 10 for geese, SX 2 for ducks.

Also shoot a Red Label which most people dislike because of the barrel weight.

Funny! I shoot a red label for ducks. Stainless, All Weather. And used to shoot an SX2 for upland.
I can’t count how many times that 3rd shell created meat upland hunting.
That 3rd shell waterfowling usually just wasted money. Don’t want to brag, but I will.
I’m a pretty damn good shot.
Ducks decoying, a triple is doable but not common. A double gun accounts for many doubles. Very frequent.
Upland, with a staggering flush, triples aren’t uncommon.
Literally, shoot the gun you’re comfortable with.

jmez

WKR
Close ranging dog in fairly open cover a GPS collar is overkill IMO. I use them on my hounds and on field trial dogs but haven't on a foot hunting dog.