Upland Pants

ZHY

FNG
What is the pick on upland pants that are light weight, gusset crotch, and can take some thorn? Looking at the KUIU Pro Brush pants as the attacks fit well. I also have the Orvis Softshell I like, but still searching.

rbljack

WKR
Following this one. I went duck hunting in the am and determined I need to get some wadersfor that. Then I went quail hunting after that and decided i need an upland pant. Both hunts in west texas. My current pants are not going to hold up to briars, mesquite, cactus...its very clear that I need something more durable for kicking around the cover.

I have a couple of pair of under armor that are starting to fail so I have been looking. The kuiu are my lead pick so far but I haven’t pulled the trigger.

my buddy swears by the orvis missouri breaks pants

yfarm

WKR
I wear Patagonia field pants, no longer made, also have FL sawbuck which are very similar except the rise is longer. My experience hunting blue quail in prickly pear patches is that the thorns go right thru. My combo for the most hostile cover is those pants worn with snake boots and a pr of cutoff cordura chaps over the top ending 2-3 inches below the top of the snake boots. I cut them off as I have yet to experience a thorn going thru the boots and ventilation is far better with the shorter chap as is ease of movement. Recently was pheasant hunting in sw Ks on a 36 degree day with fog and mist and very wet waist high prairie grass. Used the short chaps with gaiters to stay dry, easier to walk in than full length.

ks.snow

FNG
I have in order of least to most protection:
Prana Zion
Kuiu Attack
Kuiu Axis
FL Sawbuck
Pyke Dakota

The Pyke Dakota is by far my favorite, they are just too warm for early season. FL sawbuck gets some thorns through in rose bushes, but most other stuff stays out. They breath decently.

I will be picking up a pair of Pyke tongass to try for next season. Felt the Kuiu brush pant in person and its basically the attack with a light protection layer. Would be good for early season with the hip vents.

Early Season light brush: kuiu brush pant
Mid season/wet moderate brush: Pyke tongass
Mid-Late with heavy thorn: Pyke Dakota

Reactions: ZHY
Filson chaps are my favorite. I can wear anything from light synthetic, jeans, goretex.....anything and slide on the chaps and bust briars.
I have a set of double tin chaps. Heavy and hot as hell but they wear like iron. My grandkids will be hunting in these things.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Scheels brand endeavor pants. They may get a little warm in higher temps but they do come with hip vents which are nice for dumping heat. I wore them through some pretty nasty thorns and never felt a thorn. I think they run about 120 bucks

rm06

WKR
I have the most recent iteration of Cabela's Instinct upland pant, I really like them

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Final Rise has an "All Terrain Field Pant" that looks interesting, however it's new & initial run sold out.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I have been on this mission and figured out no pant can handle true heavy cover with thorns. Orvis tough shell is the best, but a good pair of chaps is really the only solution.

MTtrout

WKR
I’ve always liked a well worn pair of carhartts but if you want to spend the money check out Fjallraven keb pants. Durable pants for busting brush and very comfortable

Dos XX

WKR
I like my Scheels brand endeavor pants. They may get a little warm in higher temps but they do come with hip vents which are nice for dumping heat. I wore them through some pretty nasty thorns and never felt a thorn. I think they run about 120 bucks
I bought a pair of these and hunted in them for 3 days last week. They are great pants. At first, I thought the extendable waist band was kind of weird and made the waist band way heavier than needed, but the flip side is, you don't really need a belt. They definitely will not slide down, which for my skinny ass, is a good thing. After three days, the waist band was decidedly a non-issue. I will be ordering another pair.

Also, the built in gaiters worked great.

I like the Sawbucks, but I think the material on the back and upper front is too wimpy. I wear them mostly for non bird hunting activities, now.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I thought the waist band was weird too at first but now I really like it. I will also be grabbing another pair as well. So far I’ve been very pleased with Scheels branded items. It may not be the elite level of some of the other brands but the bang for your buck is tough to beat.