Upland Pants

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find some of the old Columbia Tough Mother briar pants circa 1990’s they are great for upland hunting. Fleabay has them regularily.

Reactions: ZHY

c3cross

FNG
I’ve got a pair of Carhartt upland pants that are fine but my favorite is the Duluth briar pants with flex. For me, they fit about perfect, not baggy and not skinny and the flex material works great.

OP
Z

ZHY

FNG
I have some KUIU Pro Brush on order. I got the first pair in and it fit much bigger than my Attack pants so sent them back. Not sure how tough they will be, but hope to get them after Christmas and see if they shred.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from 5 days hunting Pheasants and Sharpies in SD...grasslands and weedy areas, but not cattails or briars. Wore both Kutanas and Attacks, both did well. Attacks with no base layer, was comfortable walking to about 25 degrees with a mild wind.

TreeDog

FNG
I'm really liking my FL Sawbucks. Two seasons so far including some big game hunts. I do wish they small side pockets. Just enough for a wallet and hunting license would be great. No durability issues so far, though I'm concerned about long term due to experience with a pair of corrugates that had problems.

OP
Z

ZHY

FNG
Got the second pair of KUIU Pro Brush in today. First pair size 34 were extremely loose and baggy. Went with a 32 and they are way smaller. Probably keep and try them, but could use some 33 if they only made them.

Hondo

WKR
I use Patagonia Field Pants for warmer weather and First Lite Sawbuck pants for most everything else.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I see these have a lifetime warranty but there is a laundry list of things like tears and rip not included. If I take these for a season and shred them upland hunting here in Michigan will they be replaced?
So is your lack of reply a no they will not be?

highcj5

Lil-Rokslider
I have an old pair of carhartt brush pants. Love them. Tough as nails. The only downside is that they are pretty stiff, but I believe that is due to the thickness of the material.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Been enjoying the Kings xkg upland pants I bought during the holiday sales. My biggest problem, as usual, is all these expensive pants with fixed/universal inseams. The second I see that I move on immediately. Not paying 150-300 for pants that need hemmed.

jdaturbo

FNG
Got the second pair of KUIU Pro Brush in today. First pair size 34 were extremely loose and baggy. Went with a 32 and they are way smaller. Probably keep and try them, but could use some 33 if they only made them.
I was going to buy my first pair of brush pants. I wear 36 in attack, stick with 36 in brush?

I have a pair of the Pyke Tongass pants.

Pros:
Lightweight
Breathable
Nice stretch
Good DWR

Cons:
Expensive
Cut is a little weird
Short inseam

I talked to the company owner and he said they have redesigned the cut. These pants seem pretty tough. They aren’t like Filson pants. They are thorn repellent vs thorn proof if that makes sense.

They work well for the grouse hunting and pheasant hunting I do.

OMB

WKR
Orvis Missouri Breaks pants I've found to be pretty great in all conditions. In super hot weather on the plains in early season you might sweat a bit more than something with hip vents but I've never had an issue because they dry pretty fast. Enough stretch to get over fences easily but strong panels in the legs and reinforced knees.

I’ve tried them all and bird hunt a ton.

Best bet. Wear the most comfortable ones you find. Then have a pair of dans chaps you can put on in thick conditions.

I just don’t think it’s possible to have a pair thick enough to stop briars, durable, but thin enough not to burn up and be comfortable.

I fell in love with the wrangler atg reinforced work pants after a ton of miles and the best grouse season I'll ever have. Cheaper on Amazon, and for 30 bucks I'd put them against all the other upland pants I've ever tried. Never felt burs through them, and they were always the right temp even early season. Durable, nice stretch. Only complaint was the size of the pockets on the front was a bit small. I do some side work building decks and stuff like that and they've held up to that as well. I've never been a chaps guy, just can't get behind it personally. For 30$, they win in my books.

ATG by Wrangler Men's Reinforced Utility Pant https://a.co/d/g1HwWeD

jmez

WKR
If you hunt a lot none of the cotton pants hold up. I used to wear Carhartt, tried a few other cotton brands. The cuff on the bottom will be ragged after a few weeks and pretty well gone halfway thru a season.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

OP
Z

ZHY

FNG
JMEZ, what have you went to? I’m still looking to some extent. I want to try some KUIU Kutana pants.

Bbrinks

FNG
I did about 50 miles of shed hunting a few weekends ago in the Kuiu brush pants through a ton of briars and I only had one small spot where the material pilled a teeny bit. I usually use the standard wrangler outdoor pants and they’re pretty much shredded after the season. The brush pants don’t completely stop all the briars from poking through, unfortunately, but they hardly shot any signs of wear