Urban Elk Hunting

Pittstate23

Lil-Rokslider
I do some urban Whitetail hunting here in Ks and was wondering if anyone hunts elk in close proximity to urban areas?

I've seen it all. Probably my favorite memory was this one neighbor that sings karaoke on nice weekend afternoons. He lives on a few acres so probably thinks no one can hear him. Little does he know I get a free concert while in the stand.

Elk dont tend to tolerate that type of close proximity to humans. They may pass through during migration or even winter in areas closer to homes/ranches. But from what I have seen during the summer and fall they are far from any urban settings.

I've seen elk in city limits in Durango, but rarely and on the edges. They definitely aren't like mule deer. Deer are all over town and very tolerant.

Pittstate23, I might suggest a fundamental shift in the way you think of elk behavior. Forget equating them to white tails or even mule deer. There are a few exceptions (Yellowstone, Estes Park, etc) where the elk are not normal, and some winter ranges that come close to urban/wild interfaces. But the norm is far different, esp in areas that receive hunting pressure year after year. Rather than a sneaky deer trying to stay hidden while going about their daily routine, elk are more akin to a paranoid schizophrenic that desperately try to avoid not only the sight/smell of humans, but even coming within 1/2 mile of the sight or smell of humans. Think of them in those terms, and you'll be more likely to understand how to find them.

On a side note, I wish we could hunt mule deer in city limits. I had to build a 6 foot fence around my garden just to keep them welfare deer out.

Pittstate23, I might suggest a fundamental shift in the way you think of elk behavior. Forget equating them to white tails or even mule deer. There are a few exceptions (Yellowstone, Estes Park, etc) where the elk are not normal, and some winter ranges that come close to urban/wild interfaces. But the norm is far different, esp in areas that receive hunting pressure year after year. Rather than a sneaky deer trying to stay hidden while going about their daily routine, elk are more akin to a paranoid schizophrenic that desperately try to avoid not only the sight/smell of humans, but even coming within 1/2 mile of the sight or smell of humans. Think of them in those terms, and you'll be more likely to understand how to find them.

Thanks, its been 10 years since i've been fortunate enough to go elk hunting and I miss it badly.

Back