USCCA or similar insurance

chadcharb

WKR
Does anyone here carry a USSCA type insurance? Has anyone had to use it? After watching the Rittenhouse trial and some similar situations around Seattle over the last while it has me really thinking about getting a policy.

I personally wouldn't use Rittenhouse as an example of "it could happen to me" for the majority of people. I'm sure USSCA is getting a HUGE increase in memberships because of that case, but it's such an extreme edge case that it doesn't bear into my decision making personally. That was a perfect storm of a highly public event during an extremely volatile time combined with a politically motivated DA who happens to have zero interest in defending the actual law.

In my opinion, in the EXTREMELY unlikely event that you will have to use your firearm to defend your life the key thing to remember is KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! The cops/DA are not your friends, they are doing a job. Cooperate with the authorities, do what they say, but don't say anything to them until you have your own lawyer.

I personally wouldn't use Rittenhouse as an example of "it could happen to me" for the majority of people. I'm sure USSCA is getting a HUGE increase in memberships because of that case, but it's such an extreme edge case that it doesn't bear into my decision making personally.
The only part of that I'm really referring to is the fact that he clearly shot someone in self defense and ended up on trial and facing possible Civil lawsuits. I would never intentionally put myself in his position but in this climate and the region I live in it concerns me more and more that you could end up in a situation you never planned to be in.

The only part of that I'm really referring to is the fact that he clearly shot someone in self defense and ended up on trial and facing possible Civil lawsuits. I would never intentionally put myself in his position but in this climate and the region I live in it concerns me more and more that you could end up in a situation you never planned to be in.
I think it depends on your situation. Are you the type of person who would insert yourself into a volatile situation like that? If you are this insurance is probably a good idea.

I am not someone who would do that. If I ever have to defend my life it will almost certainly not be at a nationally televised politically charged riot. I also live in MT so I'm not terribly concerned about an anti-self defense DA.

armed car jackings in Minneapolis and surrounding cities are going WAAY up. I carry and often think about having to use my handgun during a situation like that and what the repercussions would be in blue Minnesota. It does make me second guess using my handgun bc of the political climate we are in, like the OP is referring to.

I have USCCA insurance. I originally got it when I lived in NJ where if you shoot an intruder in your own home you have to prove your life or that of a lived one's life was in imminent danger and that you couldn't have escaped somehow. Now in SC where based on reading the news it seems anything could happen at anytime. Like any other kind of insurance, you can't get it after you need it. In this litigious where it's like opposite day, even doing the right thing when painted into a corner can get you sued.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think it depends on your situation. Are you the type of person who would insert yourself into a volatile situation like that? If you are this insurance is probably a good idea.

I am not someone who would do that. If I ever have to defend my life it will almost certainly not be at a nationally televised politically charged riot. I also live in MT so I'm not terribly concerned about an anti-self defense DA.
It depends more on which way the DA leans and not the circumstances of the event; you may be inserted into a violent situation without your consent. It might not be an issue in a pro-2A state like MT but in CA it very likely will be.

Over-zealous prosecutors want to win and will pile up charges. A justified self defense incident backed with specialized, dedicated legal resources is less likely to be prosecuted and, either way, save you hundreds of thousands in legal fees (criminal and civil). Every incident does not result in death and criminals (and their families) are very good at becoming victims.

One company, I don't recall which but not USCCA, recently defended a case successfully. Be aware that most companies have a clause where if the incident is determined unjustified you're not covered.

Any update on folks thoughts on this? I believe I originally looked into this years ago (although it may have been the NRA affiliated program) and IIRC I just felt it was something I was willing to self-insure. Very low odds of it happening, and if it does, your facts depend more than the insurance paying for your defense. Am I missing something, or has time passed to demonstrate it's worth another look - or not?

We've had USCCA for about 10 years now, I think. Always had their top tier plan, thinking about dropping down a level when it's time to renew. We don't have as much to lose as we did 10 years ago.

Yes, it's kinda spendy. But it's like any other insurance. I hope to never need it, but if I do, I'll be damn glad to have it.

I've looked into other plans, and even went to the NRAs show in Milwaukee when they were coming out with their own plan. I haven't found a reason to leave USCCA yet, but as always, YMMV.

Any update on folks thoughts on this? I believe I originally looked into this years ago (although it may have been the NRA affiliated program) and IIRC I just felt it was something I was willing to self-insure. Very low odds of it happening, and if it does, your facts depend more than the insurance paying for your defense. Am I missing something, or has time passed to demonstrate it's worth another look - or not?
I am of the same opinion as you currently, very low odds and the facts are what will really matter.

in my opinion, good products don’t need a tremendous amount of advertising to sell. I was turned off when a carry insurance guy came to my last CCW class and gave a high pressure sales pitch for whatever carry insurance he was selling.

Back