Used older Alpha vs New Sub Alpha Glass?

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wondering how older preHD alpha glass might compare to the new $1k offerings by Zeiss, Maven, Kowa, etc.
Would less expensive binos built with new technology surpass the best optics of old? I didn't see where this specific question has been asked before and have wondered about this myself.

ridgefire

WKR
I was debating on buying some used Swaro's SLC's or new lower tier binocs and went with the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. I used them on my elk hunt this year and was really impressed with them. I upgraded from some Nikon Monarch 5's so comparing them with each other. Doug from Cameraland was great to work with and made my decision fairly easy.

kthomas

FNG
I was debating on buying some used Swaro's SLC's or new lower tier binocs and went with the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44. I used them on my elk hunt this year and was really impressed with them. I upgraded from some Nikon Monarch 5's so comparing them with each other. Doug from Cameraland was great to work with and made my decision fairly easy.

I also recently purchased some Kowa 10.5x44's, and I'm blown away by the optical quality.

It's been a while since I've looked through SLC's, so I can't give a comparison. Once you get to the "sub-alpha" tier of quality, you pay a lot of money for that next ~5% in performance that makes up that alpha tier. At what point that 5% of performance is worth that big step in $$$ is up to the individual.

However I'm not sure what generation of alpha glass is directly comparable to today's sub-alpha glass, if such a comparison can be made.

Last edited:

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
The Kowa Genesis are on par with a new pair of EL’s. They are easily better than any pair of SLC’s I’ve ever looked through. The NL Pures are something special though…

OP
Arcticmanak

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hearing lots of good things about the Kowas here and elsewhere, but their greater weight is often also is mentioned. Is that significant enough to be a factor? I'm considering stepping up from 8x32s.

It seems to me that newer glass built with latest technology in coatings, prisms and such is right up there in performance with what was only available in the most premium optics a few years ago.

kthomas

FNG
I'm hearing lots of good things about the Kowas here and elsewhere, but their greater weight is often also is mentioned. Is that significant enough to be a factor? I'm considering stepping up from 8x32s.

It seems to me that newer glass built with latest technology in coatings, prisms and such is right up there in performance with what was only available in the most premium optics a few years ago.

The difference is about ~4 ozs between the Kowa and a comparable Swarovski.

So I guess it depends on how much that ~ 4 ozs matters to the individual.

The difference is about ~4 ozs between the Kowa and a comparable Swarovski.

So I guess it depends on how much that ~ 4 ozs matters to the
The extra 4 oz has never been an issue with me, even when I was wearing them on my chest. I have a pair of 8X33 Gennys for offhand now, and the 10.5X44s are for scanning on the tripod. The 4oz is a small premium for the spectacular optical quality. Highly recommended.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Kowa 10x33 at 21oz. They are wonderful glass and will perform as well as most alpha 10x42’s @ 2/3rds the weight 1/2 the cost.