UT Bison

I put in my brothers apps this year and it turns out he drew the bison hunt that I put him in for. If anyone has knowledge about the Book Cliffs unit for bison and would being willing to share their experience via PM I'd be very thankful. We have hunted the unit on a couple elk hunts, but this bison hunt will be a whole new adventure. Thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to take the time to visit a little about the hunt or the unit in general.

OP
gonhunting247
We had a successful trip, but Bison sightings were rare though. We scouted three days and never laid eyes on a Bull (or any bison for that matter). Luckily on the evening of the actual opener which happened to be my Brother's Birthday we spotted a nice herd and Bill (my Brother) made good on the opportunity. We had a great time on this hunt with me, my brother, my BIL and his brother.
It was pretty cool to actually be in on a hunt for such an iconic animal of the old west! I was amazed at the weight and size of the bull's head and the unique hair and cape on his front half ! We even got done in time to get back and catch the tail end of deer season at home :)
20231007_184153.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations on a nice bull. That's a cool unit to hunt, glad you guys didn't end up having to pack him up from the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
gonhunting247
Thank you and yes it is very cool country for sure.
Yes, the location he folded was kind of unbelievable (almost too easy maybe), we were prepared for a long hard pack, but we joked that I guess my brother got an extra bonus to go with his birthday bison.
I hope to get back for antelope and maybe deer sometime soon :)

Last edited:

DAD

FNG
That is awesome! What was the butchering and pack out process like?

OP
gonhunting247
That is awesome! What was the butchering and pack out process like?
No packing to speak of (just by chance and an old two track). It still took us quite awhile to get him back to camp, with trying to keep everything clean and wanting to save the cape and the robe. We got all the quarters off and bagged along with the huge backstraps and an amazing amount of meat off the neck and rib cage. We brought some extra large coolers and a generator/freezer set up to keep the meat in excellent shape on the trip home. The butchering went well and we cooked up some steak to try and it was great. He yielded every bit as much meat (maybe more) as a big old Alaskan moose. Pretty amazing animal and experience!

Awesome bull! I drew the late cow tag this year. Have done some scouting and seen some bison but seems like they are always on the move. If you’d be willing to share any spots I should check out, any tips would be much appreciated

Congratulations! Great luck to get him opening evening. And excellent job on the meat care!

I was fortunate to draw the Henry Mt NR tag about 23 yrs ago. Arrowed a younger bull. Awesome eating and a full day of packing….5 trips each to get it all to the truck. Completed 24 hrs after I shot him. We took a freezer too, first trip of many since that I use one.

The pack out convinced me to dump the old Kelty frame pack that carried the load too high in rough mountainous terrain for stability. Bought a Kifaru and have never looked back!

Found my bull in rough “sheep” country. Was hoping for a close to road but had to take him where I could find one a week into the hunt.

OP
gonhunting247
Congratulations! Great luck to get him opening evening. And excellent job on the meat care!

I was fortunate to draw the Henry Mt NR tag about 23 yrs ago. Arrowed a younger bull. Awesome eating and a full day of packing….5 trips each to get it all to the truck. Completed 24 hrs after I shot him. We took a freezer too, first trip of many since that I use one.

The pack out convinced me to dump the old Kelty frame pack that carried the load too high in rough mountainous terrain for stability. Bought a Kifaru and have never looked back!

Found my bull in rough “sheep” country. Was hoping for a close to road but had to take him where I could find one a week into the hunt.
That's really cool that you got yours with archery gear! We actually were a little let down at first about not having any pack out really, but looking back we'll take luck when we get it :)

OP
gonhunting247
Awesome bull! I drew the late cow tag this year. Have done some scouting and seen some bison but seems like they are always on the move. If you’d be willing to share any spots I should check out, any tips would be much appreciated
Are you already on your hunt? I couldn't PM you due to post count I guess.
Edit: got a PM to go, contact me if I can help