AZ bison hunt

Cali hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody hunted bison on the north side of the Grand Canyon in the Kaibab? I drew a cow tag. nov10-dec31 2023. Az had decent amount of info in the hunt packet they sent me. Just looking for any info I can get to help my odds because the tag was very pricey and I don’t think I will ever get the opportunity/draw again. 7CF9B29D-0CAE-4195-A8C1-28EA44CD2B7C.jpeg

OP
Cali hunter

Cali hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on getting a scouting trip in late October on my way home from my Zion mule deer hunt then calling the warden with questions. Az did a great job providing salt lick/water source gps locations. I’m hoping to check a lot of these locations and see whats being utilized by the bison. I’m also hoping to find a camp location on my scouting trip. I also need to get visual on bison for cow identification so I have a fresh image on what’s legal if the opportunity presents it’s self.

Weldor

WKR
You'll see the difference right away. Cows are way smaller. The Bulls are very distinctive.

OP
Cali hunter

Cali hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You'll see the difference right away. Cows are way smaller. The Bulls are very distinctive.
I have seen them before but never paid too much attention. Because I didn’t ever imagine the possibility to hunt them. Az has some YouTube on identifying these animals. But going in with some fresh insite will be beneficial to me

AZ8

WKR
That's gonna be a tough one weather wise. Highway 67 is closed around Dec 1 for winter, sooner if the early snows are heavy. So just keep that on your radar and be prepared to find other options.

I have seen them before but never paid too much attention. Because I didn’t ever imagine the possibility to hunt them. Az has some YouTube on identifying these animals. But going in with some fresh insite will be beneficial to me
1-2 year old bulls look a lot like cows, be able to tell the difference. Good luck!

CorbLand

WKR
Everything I have heard about this hunt is that its not super physically hard but its a grind and a game of patience.

Don't worry Ned Flanders (Russ Jacoby) will tell you where you are allowed to hunt. Go with his "program" or else. 12a is a SH##SHOW on those buffalo hunts. Rogue guides running the show and Azgfd letting them

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
I had the last cow hunt up there a couple months ago. Nobody had seen a buffalo off the park when i left. It can really be a grind. Feel free to DM me any questions you may have.

OP
Cali hunter

Cali hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had the last cow hunt up there a couple months ago. Nobody had seen a buffalo off the park when i left. It can really be a grind. Feel free to DM me any questions you may have.
ok thanks. Sounds like This hunt is just a money grab for AZ. Not many successful hunts. I’ll shoot you a message.

MattB

WKR
Don't worry Ned Flanders (Russ Jacoby) will tell you where you are allowed to hunt. Go with his "program" or else. 12a is a SH##SHOW on those buffalo hunts. Rogue guides running the show and Azgfd letting them
That would be one interpretation. I’ve not done the hunt, but the couple I’ve talked to who have seem to think that not having people driving around all day helps with collective success.

The would definitely connect with Russ.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The bison rarely come 100-200 yards off the park. They run back if dudes are trying road hunt.

Success requires being prepared to sit in the blind dark to dark.

Get with Jacoby. My buddy knows the Kiabsb and we found where they were crossing. I didn’t need help, but the area where they will be actively crossing is so small, the hunters will be all over each other.

If you join Jacoby’s co-op your odds will increase. He will tell you where they are and work with you. Sometimes, you can get multiple cows out of the herd, for some reason trucks on the road scares them more than shooting. They will work to get as many down as possible, working multiple shooters in. Including non paying clients.

I got a radio from Jacoby as part of the Co-op. I told him what salt I was as sitting and which blind of his I was in. He said, oh, you know how to hunt and he didn’t say boo about me claiming it. He had hunters around me in several other blinds.

The second morning he radioed everyone that the herd was out in the meadow off the highway into the park. Paying and non paying, everyone went.

We all met off a road. I then jumped into front seat of Jacoby’s truck. We drove and pulled off the highway with the herd grazing.

The first guy shot after everyone had a chance to set up. And, boy howdy it turned into a clown rodeo as the bison started moving. Boom boom boom. Jacoby pointed out a cow. I hesitated a moment to give his client a chance, but he couldn’t shoot at the moving cow at 120 yards.

I shot the cow. Only two of us killed off that before they all ran back to the park, out of a mess of us. It was the first guy to shoot the standing cow and me to shoot the moving cow. Fortunately for the client next to me, a smaller cow stayed behind and stood next to my cow, and Jacoby’s client finally got prone and after a couple minutes was able to shoot and kill the third cow.

Say what you will about Jacoby, but the reality is he organizes everyone for success, because one rogue idiot can ruin the hunt. And, get a radio and you will know everything his clients do.

We were lucky because that was the first time that year they left the park and went to the meadow.

You get s long hunt, but get there before they shut the road down from Jacob Lake into the park cause of snow, or that adds a whole new dimension getting back in there.