Utah archery hunter question.

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
This might be a dumb question but I can’t find a clear answer on Utah dwr website. A buddy and I drew two general season archery mule deer tags for Utah this year. We live in GA and will be driving out to hunt for 10 days. The problem is we drew two separate units. The units are divided by a town. With this being my buddies first trip out west I’m sure he’s going to try and put a arrow in the first legal buck we see. If he does kill a buck is it legal for us to debone that buck and skull cap the antlers, removing all brain tissue and obviously tagging it. Can we then transport the meat on ice to my unit where we will hopefully fill my tag before it’s time to go home? Sorry if this is a dumb question, we don’t have CWD back home and I can’t find anything on transporting meat/antlers from one unit to another. Thanks!

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
You shouldn't have any issues from a CWD standpoint. I would just make sure to document with pictures and GPS coordinates where the first buck was taken in case you get stopped and have to explain why you have a deer with a tag on it from another unit.

OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
You shouldn't have any issues from a CWD standpoint. I would just make sure to document with pictures and GPS coordinates where the first buck was taken in case you get stopped and have to explain why you have a deer with a tag on it from another unit.
Thanks! Yeah for sure will take pics and drop a onX pin if he kills one.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted both. Of the 2, I think you’ve got the better unit. Manti is a great place for an archery hunt, as long as you have proper expectations. Glad you had a great time last year and know what to expect. And as has been stated, you’ll have no problem with transporting your buddy’s nebo deer to your camp on the manti, but I’d document the location of the kill, just in case.

OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted both. Of the 2, I think you’ve got the better unit. Manti is a great place for an archery hunt, as long as you have proper expectations. Glad you had a great time last year and know what to expect. And as has been stated, you’ll have no problem with transporting your buddy’s nebo deer to your camp on the manti, but I’d document the location of the kill, just in case.
Yeah killed a forky for my first last year. Saw tons of deer just no real mature bucks other than a stud 4 point

OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
The real question is why didn’t you guys put in together for the same unit?
We did, I just happened to draw the first choice unit and he drew the secondary choice unit. In hindsight we probably should’ve just applied to the unit I hunted last year only. With the non resident tag cuts we were thinking maybe one would get drawn if we were lucky.

We did, I just happened to draw the first choice unit and he drew the secondary choice unit. In hindsight we probably should’ve just applied to the unit I hunted last year only. With the non resident tag cuts we were thinking maybe one would get drawn if we were lucky.
They do have party/group apps so you draw together. Yes, you may end up not drawing but if you do then both will be together. I guess if one would be willing to go to help without a tag that would be nice, or if only one draws they could go solo, or just do like you guys are doing splitting time between units, but that could decreased the odds of success or trophy size.....

Lots of considerations, have fun, and don't worry about transportation as long as you are legal and tagged. I have never been checked in years of hunting/living in Utah.

OP
Tegr0429

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
They do have party/group apps so you draw together. Yes, you may end up not drawing but if you do then both will be together. I guess if one would be willing to go to help without a tag that would be nice, or if only one draws they could go solo, or just do like you guys are doing splitting time between units, but that could decreased the odds of success or trophy size.....

Lots of considerations, have fun, and don't worry about transportation as long as you are legal and tagged. I have never been checked in years of hunting/living in Utah.
Yeah man that was our thought. We believed it would increase draw odds and we were willing to go with only one tag. We just love being out west. It’s completely different than at home chasing white tails. Like I previously stated, my buddy will be tickled with any legal buck so hopefully we can fill that nebo tag quick giving us more time in manti. Good luck with your upcoming season!