Utah Licensing predicament

maxx075

FNG
So I just moved to Utah and I've found myself in an odd predicament with obtaining a license. I am aware that you have to have residency for 6 months in order to get a resident license. For the time being I do have a non resident license so that I get in for a tag this year.

Now this is where things get weird, I'm originally from WV and my parents bought me a lifetime hunting and fishing license like 30 years ago. So now that I'm in Utah and waiting for my 6 months, I've talked to DNR here and they're saying that I can't get a resident license because I "claim residency for the purposes of hunting/fishing in a different state."

My wife's uncle is a captain in the WV DNR and says that I should be able to get a license here in UT just fine.

Any thoughts on this issue?

OP
maxx075

maxx075

FNG
What Utah DNR thinks will matter a lot more than your wife’s uncle. I’d call the main office and ask for the enforcement division (assuming you spoke to someone at your local office).
And that's perfectly fine, the issue is that I'm in a catch 22 because I can't void the license.

So I guess I'm stuck with a non resident license while living in the state lol

So I just moved to Utah and I've found myself in an odd predicament with obtaining a license. I am aware that you have to have residency for 6 months in order to get a resident license. For the time being I do have a non resident license so that I get in for a tag this year.

Now this is where things get weird, I'm originally from WV and my parents bought me a lifetime hunting and fishing license like 30 years ago. So now that I'm in Utah and waiting for my 6 months, I've talked to DNR here and they're saying that I can't get a resident license because I "claim residency for the purposes of hunting/fishing in a different state."

My wife's uncle is a captain in the WV DNR and says that I should be able to get a license here in UT just fine.

My thought is that the thoughts of people here dont matter. Talk to the UT DWR and figure it out.

I take it that you just told them about your West Virginia license?

I can't imagine their system "knows" about it?

I bought a multi-year resident license in Iowa, then moved to Colorado. When I went back to Iowa, my license would have been within the time period but I bought a non-resident license anyway.

Rich M

WKR

Next time keep yer trap shut. Why you brought up WV is beyond me.

Either way you need to wait til you have residency in order to apply as a resident. Youll have the resident tag next year.

Stop talking w them and just buy it when allowed.

And that's perfectly fine, the issue is that I'm in a catch 22 because I can't void the license.

So I guess I'm stuck with a non resident license while living in the state lol
That’s not necessarily true and will largely depend on exactly what your WV license includes for resident privileges.

Also, depending on who you talked to they may not know what they are taking about.

sneaky

"DADDY"
After your 6 months is up then you aren't claiming residency in WV and that's that. It's pretty simple.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

It has become common for some states to offer a lifetime resident license as long as it is purchased while a resident of the state. However, once you move to a different state and meet the residency requirements, you are no longer claiming residency in state A, but rather able to apply for residency tags based on the legal purchase of the lifetime license.

Rich M

WKR
That’s not necessarily true and will largely depend on exactly what your WV license includes for resident privileges.

Also, depending on who you talked to they may not know what they are taking about.

What about driver’s license and license plate on his vehicle? Sorry i got a lifetime hunting license in “WV” and well, im a resident there - cant have an XX state DL or LP. The GW done told me so.

If he has a DL and LP and lived there long enough it doesnt matter about WV, he’s no longer a Res there.

Military have diff rules and the military folk should know them. That’s the only thing that could make sense.

Otherwise, he puts in the allotted time in the state system (house/apt, DL, taxes) and buys a resident hunting license next year. It aint complicated.

Rich M

WKR
Is your WV lifetime license good only if you're a WV resident?
No, good for life. Not good to draw res tags when you dont live there tho.

I had a chance to buy xx state lifetime for $350 and didnt. Then hunted as NR for about 10 yrs at $350/yr. Still kicking myself.

Have lifetime where i live. Lotsa folk buy em for their kids. Not uncommon.

Any thoughts on this?

Sounds pretty straightforward. Hunt with your Utah NR resident license until next year. If you go back home to WV to hunt with family/friends you'll need a NR resident license. Some states like Montana may have exceptions or nuances to this rule.

WRO

WKR
Lots of states offer lifetime licenses, I’d go talk to someone else at the dnr I’d bet you still have to pay nr rates for tags in wv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
I've dealt with the Utah Licensing headquarters in the past with an issue with a youth license for my son. They were very responsive and easy to deal with. If you have not called them, I would. Better yet stop by if local to them.

I understand the issue, but I think whomever you are talking to is extending the idea too far. I've talked to wardens about establishing residency in WY and a key part for some is to terminate resident licenses everywhere else, but this is not that, since you carry that one resident license everywhere you go. I'm in that position and the day I declare residency I will update my residency with all places I hold licenses.

OP
maxx075

maxx075

FNG
Appreciate all the replies and insight here - didn't necessarily mean to open a can of worms.

Seems like my best option is to either just not mention it and apply for a resident license when I'm eligible or just go talk with the local DWR and explain my situation.

CorbLand

WKR
Appreciate all the replies and insight here - didn't necessarily mean to open a can of worms.

Seems like my best option is to either just not mention it and apply for a resident license when I'm eligible or just go talk with the local DWR and explain my situation.
I would suggest doing the latter.

My guess would be that they are saying that you cant claim residency in WV and UT for hunting purposes. So your license in WV will still be valid (if thats the way WV set it up) but you are going to have to pay NR prices for tags. That's the way that Idaho lifetime works. Your license is valid, you don't have to buy a NR to apply or buy tags but you don't get tags at R prices.

Make a phone call and talk with someone else. Make sure that you explain that you will not be claiming residency in WV.

Scoot

WKR
Follow Corb's advice. Like he said- you're not claiming to be a resident of WV, you're just getting special hunting/licensing privileges because of the lifetime license. You are eligible to be a UT resident after 6 months and having a lifetime license in another state has nothing to do with that. Once you've accomplished that, you will be eligible to apply as a resident.

I have multiple lifetime licenses in MN and was able to apply for resident licenses in ND when I was a resident of ND. The lifetime licenses in MN had nothing to do with what state I was currently a resident in (or what state I was eligible to be a resident in).