Utah public land hunting is so frustrating

CorbLand

WKR
I went on an unlimited in Utah this year, in 6 days I had 4 nice bulls sub 80. I spent months scouring and planning and calling everyone and their dog to get information and check my assumptions. If my partner didn't blow his brand new elk reed like a goddamn kazoo at every stick breaking or shoot over my shoulder on my day to shoot, I could have tagged 3/4 I saw.

The other was a bull at 81 I let down on. Great time, definitely had other hunter pressure, but people are lazy as shit and stay on trails and paths most of the time.
The rifle tag is even worse.

From what I see the any bull hunts are an opportunity for people to hunt and the department to make money. They would have no incentive to go draw as they dont care how much pressure there is. This is evident from the push to go unlimited that they had this year. They also dont really care about the elk in many of those areas. Many are places they just flat out dont want any elk.

I know a guy that has killed a mature bull on an any bull rifle tag 3 of the last 4 seasons. He has a couple of friends he hunts with and between them they kill a couple bulls every year. They spend a lot of time out there though and they have learned how the elk move. Most people road hunt and are done after the first day. He said this year half the vehicles were gone by Sunday afternoon.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Yep it feels the same way down here on the manti, even on private ground. Usually we could go up to the farm and see a (depending on the time of the year) 20-30 deer come through one of the fields every night and now we see closer to 10-15

So you thought you'd roll up to an any bull OTC unit, on public ground, in a day hike area and see a bunch of elk? No scouting, haven't been there in a decade.
Maybe that was reasonable 10-15 years ago. Morons on forums, YouTube, and all of social media ruined the last of that. Right after TV shows and magazines started the wave of stupidity. I wonder how many of those people look back wishing they'd just worked a real job and kept the hunting a secret.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
love this, aint it the truth, ruin the great hunting for a hundred dollar bill,that is why i kept my day job and never wrote about it.....oh well

CorbLand

WKR
I'm curious what the average feedback will be, for or against? Clearly something needs to be done and I do think it's too crowded.
Will be interesting, that is for sure. I know they got two emails against it. One from me and one from a guy I work with. Dont understand how last year this time, it was "we have enough elk to sustain unlimited tags" to "it needs to be a draw."

Will be interesting, that is for sure. I know they got two emails against it. One from me and one from a guy I work with. Dont understand how last year this time, it was "we have enough elk to sustain unlimited tags" to "it needs to be a draw."
I'm undecided. My first inclination is that the tag would be easy to draw (depending on how many tags are released) because all of the people that used to just buy a tag to sit in camp and drink beer, just won't bother applying.
Curious what your suggestion would be to fix? Or not fix?

CorbLand

WKR
I'm undecided. My first inclination is that the tag would be easy to draw (depending on how many tags are released) because all of the people that used to just buy a tag to sit in camp and drink beer, just won't bother applying.
Curious what your suggestion would be to fix? Or not fix?
They will still apply. The tag becomes the excuse to sit in camp and drink beer away from the wife and family. I know guys that pay NR prices for tags in Montana and Idaho to do that.

I am not 100% against the idea of a draw for these tags. What I don't like is the idea of a "trial period." Sounds more like, "lets implement this and then when the time comes we can make the argument that it is easier to just continue with the way it is then to change it again."

I dont think it will be that easy to draw the tag. If they are pushing it to a draw that means that the demand is there. I think it would be harder to get the tag than it is now. I know people that dont try and buy a tag because they dont want to wait in line to get it. Allow them to apply and bam, it is easy.

Last edited:
They will still apply. The tag becomes the excuse to sit in camp and drink beer away from the wife and family. I know guys that pay NR prices for tags in Montana and Idaho to do that.

I am not 100% against the idea of a draw for these tags. What I don't like is the idea of a "trial period." Sounds more like, "lets implement this and then when the time comes we can make the argument that it is easier to just continue with the way it is then to change it again."

I dont think it will be that easy to draw the tag. If they are pushing it to a draw that means that the demand is there. I think it would be harder to get the tag than it is now. I know people that try and buy a tag because they dont want to wait in line to get it. Allow them to apply and bam, it is easy.
Valid points, thanks.

I think a draw is better than a free for all. Not everyone has time to leave work or sit on a computer to try and get a tag.

Yeah I can't imagine going out for rifle ANYWHERE on an OTC tag.
I think some places are doable during rifle OTC. I live in an OTC unit in Wyoming. Even deep into rifle season I see elk on more days than I don't...not to say I can shoot them, but I can see them. I think if you're ok with a smaller bull OTC can be great fun. Just gotta make sure it's not one of those tricky OTC units where the state knows there are no elk.

Well it doesn't matter now anyway because they're just going to move the OTC tag to a draw tag. So then you'll only get to hunt and not see elk every few years.

Stickbow

FNG
Am I not understanding this correctly? They are going to sell they same number of tags, its just not first come first serve anymore. And you can still buy archery over the counter.

Am I not understanding this correctly? They are going to sell they same number of tags, its just not first come first serve anymore. And you can still buy archery over the counter.
You are. I was referring to the guys that like to rifle hunt. Even still, if they do that it's going to turn a lot of rifle hunters I to bow hunters and then the archery hunt will be just as much of a crowded mess.

No way should there be no OTC option for a rifle hunt in Utah for residents. That is the last available one

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious what the average feedback will be, for or against? Clearly something needs to be done and I do think it's too crowded.
They aren't going to issue less tags just make them draw how does that address crowding at all.

Utah has a ridiculous draw system it's not the answer for game management it's only to reward those who pander the loudest.

Watch the video and add your comments but know it's what Sportsman for wildlife has already bought and paid for so it's already a done deal.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

They aren't going to issue less tags just make them draw how does that address crowding at all.

Utah has a ridiculous draw system it's not the answer for game management it's only to reward those who pander the loudest.

Watch the video and add your comments but know it's what Sportsman for wildlife has already bought and paid for so it's already a done deal.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Most hunters Ive talked to are against the draw, but thought maybe moving the multi season tag to a draw would decrease server issues and get the state that draw app money like they want