Utah rut? (Recap)

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, most of the bucks will follow the does during that time of year. With a significant amount of snow, it could be an epic hunt.

As with ,ost of the West, get you a good spotter and set up and figure this out in each area. In low pressure areas these deer are pretty consistent. The desert areas are a good source for mature bucks. Food/water and bedding- as always- are your friend.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
As with ,ost of the West, get you a good spotter and set up and figure this out in each area. In low pressure areas these deer are pretty consistent. The desert areas are a good source for mature bucks. Food/water and bedding- as always- are your friend.
When you refer to the desert are you talking about the very southern end of the unit or just the desert country they the 70 runs through and the country the 10 runs through?

When you refer to the desert are you talking about the very southern end of the unit or just the desert country they the 70 runs through and the country the 10 runs through?
Ok I want to be helpful but I am not gonna drop pins for you. Many have spoken up trying to help you get started, but ultimately you have to run your own race. The desert bucks (in general STATEWIDE) are usually older better bucks, cause the hard hunting to get them. Glass them. I am glad you drew a tag, but don't expect us to be your guide in this hunt. Seriously you have what you need as a hunter to go be successful. And I am not upset at all, I just hope you realize the scouting can be as much fun as the hunting and we want you to do good, but also figure some of this out on your own. I wish you the best, you seem to be more than able to succeed.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Ok I want to be helpful but I am not gonna drop pins for you. Many have spoken up trying to help you get started, but ultimately you have to run your own race. The desert bucks (in general STATEWIDE) are usually older better bucks, cause the hard hunting to get them. Glass them. I am glad you drew a tag, but don't expect us to be your guide in this hunt. Seriously you have what you need as a hunter to go be successful. And I am not upset at all, I just hope you realize the scouting can be as much fun as the hunting and we want you to do good, but also figure some of this out on your own. I wish you the best, you seem to be more than able to succeed.
Completely understand and don’t expect hand outs at all I’ve got a lot of very good info from you guys and really do appreciate it. I will most definitely be scouting it when I come down from wyoming and I’ll report back with how the hunt goes if I can return the favor to anyone with Colorado help or western wyoming help I’ll be happy to do so. Thanks again

Should be an excellent time to be out there with the Muzzleloader. Probably getting into Pre-Rut and Rut action.

Be aware that you will have Muzzleloader Spike Elk hunters out at the same time.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
just got home last weekend from the le muzzy hunt so thought I’d do a little recap on how it went. Got there couple days before the opener to get the lay of the land got some good tips from a few fellow roksliders as to where to start. Opening day had a big snow storm blowing in so the huntin was slow but I was optimistic that the snow would get things goin as there were piles of doe’s in the area I mean like 200-300 a day I was seeing! I should also add I brought my 5 year old son with me so I wasn’t able to get after it like I would by myself but that was totally fine with me it was really more about the experience for my son. Second day of season we had 6-8” of snow on the ground and the rut seemed to be starting off pretty good! I passed one buck that I probably should have shot but being the second of 9 days and the rut starting to get into full swing I let him go hoping for better he was probably a 26-27” 170 buck. I let him walk and a number of 20” deer. next day the 20” deer were gone along with the 170” and all that was hanging around were small forks and tiny 3’s! This remained for the next week and I was getting pretty discouraged so on the second to last day I found a smaller 4 point that I just couldn’t pass and my boy had been quite the little trooper for 7 days of hunting and he was dying to get a buck on the ground! So we ended up taking him. All in all it was a really fun trip with loads of deer but just a lack of bigger mature deer, for the amount of tags they give out and as many points as it takes to draw I wish Utah would move that season back a week and give us a chances at some of the higher end bucks in the unit. Opening day of my le hunt was only three days after the last day of the general rifle where there are thousands of guys on the mountain but all in all can’t complain to much got to see a lot of deer and had a blast with the boy I think he’s officially hooked!8525728E-8A5A-42BF-860C-14A881824E87.jpeg
7F1977B6-08B3-4E05-BACD-220E7B7653B5.jpeg74CE2ACB-7E11-48F1-88CC-4FB7F963F3E3.jpeg

And it’s hard to beat it when you can kill one where you can load the whole thing in the SxS lol!