Vacation ideas? Hawaii?

Wife and I are looking to take a vacation this summer (soon I know). No kids. No passports right now, looking for good ideas. A week to ten days. Not looking to burn the entire savings account, but willing to spend.
Seriously considering Hawaii, but I know of zero people who have went.
Help a brother out.
Doesn’t have to be hunting or fishing related
Thanks

jayhawk

WKR
I’d hit up Pearl Harbor if you’re going to HI.
Where’re you from? May help decide a good place to go further away from your hometown

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I went to Hawaii twice. I didn't really like it, made me feel like I was on an Island. There are a lot of nice places to see right here on the mainland. Just stay away from liberals, west coast and humidity, east coast. Take a ten day rafting trip down the Colorado.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
We have a timeshare on Kauai and have been there probably 10 times. Best island IMO. Very laid back, great food, great hiking and some very nice scenery and quirky things to do. A good friend just moved to the Big Island outside Kona and that was pretty cool too. Oahu was not for me, way too crowded. What's nice is we can fly direct to any of the islands from Seattle on Alaska airlines.

Rob5589

WKR
Been to Maui (3x), Oahu, Big Island, want to try Kauai. I'd only go back to Maui. Plenty to do, great food, reasonable crowds compared to Oahu. Stay on the Kaanapali side.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Wife is from Oahu. I've spend lots of time on Oahu and some time on Kauai and Maui. I would love to do the Big Island, but we tend to go back to Oahu a lot to see family and friends. You can split time between islands to mix up the experience. Waikiki is an experience for a 2-3 days. There is fun stuff to do in Oahu and there are some great beaches that are off the beaten track that we like. The food is really good as well. I like Kauai for the more lowkey experience. You can split time between Poipu and Princeville for the ten days or if you split with Waikiki then probably pick Poipu for the variety. The scenery is amazing. Maui has a lot of variety as well and can easily be lowkey as well. Great beaches, a variety of places to stay (we prefer Kihei since more locals live there and the food choices are good). We've stayed in a condo vs resorts, which is more our style. Upcountry and Haleakala are great. You can also drive out to Hana. Crazy drive that we haven't done, but heard great things. It's been a long time since we've been to Maui, so my recs may be a bit stale. Friends go a lot and say it hasn't changed much. Have a great time!

Last edited:

Mag_7s

WKR
+1 for Kauai if staying in the states.
My wife and I went to all inclusive Excellence Resorts in Cancun last summer for a week without our kids. Including airfare, the whole trip cost us under 3k. I can't wait to go back.

Wife and I took a week long trip a few years back. Spent half our time on the Big Island, half on Kauai. Much preferred Kauai. I would like to go back and do a through hike across the Napali Coast.

Go to Maui and rent a Jeep. It will open up the best things to do. Drive the Road to Hana and hit all the side roads and turn offs you’ll find isolated beaches with not a soul on them. Then take it as far north out of the towns, sorry can’t remember the name of the road, but it will take you to some parking lots where locals surf. Park where they do then hike over the Lava Flows to the North side of the island and it will again have almost no tourists. You’ll find isolated beaches, tropical jungle, waterfalls etc that you’ll have to yourself. Then towards the end drive up to the crater of Mt Haleakala.

We consider it our best trip we’ve taken.

Trust me, get the Jeep though anything else and you’ll be bottoming out or downright stuck. The Road to Hana can be pretty crazy too. At least when we were there.

Rob5589

WKR
Georgia. We've done all the Florida stuff. Lol
Guess I won't recommend the Keys then😆

Wife and I did a first cruise back in Jan. Had a great time and would go again. It's a different way to vacation. When actually cruising you are forced to just hang out, chill, and just be a couple. There is plenty to do on the boat, good food, service was so good it was almost annoying. We stopped at St Maarten (meh), St Thomas (very cool), and Coco cay which is Royal Caribbean's private island. Would definitely recommend.

svivian

WKR
Going to Kona for a tournament in June. It will be my first trip to Hawaii and right now flights aren’t terrible, we managed to get tickets for $1700 for the two of us. Resorts vary greatly in price though. Good luck finding a rental car

If you can get your passports in time check out Aruba. Used to go every year & everything is just damn near perfect. 4 hour direct flight from CLT. Safe, unbelievably beautiful beaches, tons of stuff to do. Stay at the Bucuti & Tara resort. You won't regret it.
Website is bucuti.com

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Been to Maui (3x), Oahu, Big Island, want to try Kauai. I'd only go back to Maui. Plenty to do, great food, reasonable crowds compared to Oahu. Stay on the Kaanapali side.

I agree. Maui and stay in the Kaanapali area. We took one day and flew to Oahu and went to Pearl Harbor. You can leave early in the morning (45 minute flight)and back in the evening and is only around $100 round trip per person on Hawaiian Airlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClayA23

FNG
I agree. Maui and stay in the Kaanapali area. We took one day and flew to Oahu and went to Pearl Harbor. You can leave early in the morning (45 minute flight)and back in the evening and is only around $100 round trip per person on Hawaiian Airlines.

Agree with these two. We stayed at The Westin near black rock both times we have been in the last 5 years. Haleakala and Road to Hana are a must. Also, as previously said, spend the money for the Jeep. I have not been in the summer though. We went in February both times to see the whale birthing.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Kauai if staying in the states.
My wife and I went to all inclusive Excellence Resorts in Cancun last summer for a week without our kids. Including airfare, the whole trip cost us under 3k. I can't wait to go back.
We are heading to one of the excellence properties in June, The Beloved. I am having a hard time getting them to return my emails about setting up a shuttle from the airport. Did you use a shuttle? The state dept has issued a kidnapping warning related to transportation in Cancun’s state.