Vacation ideas? Hawaii?

Just got back from Oahu. We stayed 7 nights at a beachfront VRBO on the Northshore. I wouldn’t do Oahu any other way. Honolulu and Waikiki are nothing impressive and over run with people.

Pearl Harbor was eye opening. Had an amazing time. Highly recommend it. The rest of our trip was on the Northshore. Amazing beaches, surf & food.

We did enjoy our time but I would bot go back to Oahu. My entire family went and we all loved Costa Rica 10xs more.

If I went back it would be to Maui if my kids were going, and if my it was jus time and the wife then maybe Kauai.

Hawaii is super expensive. So don’t be fooled you’ll save money staying in the states.

Wife and I are looking to take a vacation this summer (soon I know). No kids. No passports right now, looking for good ideas. A week to ten days. Not looking to burn the entire savings account, but willing to spend.
Seriously considering Hawaii, but I know of zero people who have went.
Help a brother out.
Doesn’t have to be hunting or fishing related
Thanks
I’ve been.
Maui: imagine a lush green tropical place.
That isn’t Maui. Although there is a spot there where it rains 400+ inches per year.
Dryer than a popcorn fart.

I live in Oahu. Good things about it and bad things just like anywhere, but to us the good outweigh the bad. Just gotta work around the bad stuff and mitigate it how you can. Can’t go wrong with visiting any of the islands IMO, different experiences on each though. Oahu has more hotels and resorts and attractions than you can do in a week, Maui probably second most, then Big Island and Kauai more biased to nature attractions.

That said, Oahu has some serious nature too. Like thrilling hikes up into goat country that are among the hardest you’ll find anywhere on earth.

Last edited:

Mag_7s

WKR
We are heading to one of the excellence properties in June, The Beloved. I am having a hard time getting them to return my emails about setting up a shuttle from the airport. Did you use a shuttle? The state dept has issued a kidnapping warning related to transportation in Cancun’s state.
Our experience was incredible, the service was fantastic nothing was disappointing. Anything you wanted at any time was possible. They treated you like royalty there, which was kinda uncomfortable for me. We went down for my wife's friends wedding and she had difficulty with emails as well. Everything turned out great though. Their shuttle serves was seamless. They picked my wife and I up promptly in a new Tahoe, with cold beer at the ready. The driver was great.
I was kinda concerned about Cancun as well, but the resort properties are actually quite a ways away from the city, (45 min drive from airport) and pretty secluded. Things might have gotten worse since I was there last September though.
The beaches were awesome too, and I'm really not an ocean/beach person.

If you want to try something a little further south, check out Ambergris Caye, Belize. Just as tropical, not as touristy, lots of activities (if you want things to do), dollar goes farther, nice people. One of the best vacations I've had with my wife and without the kids.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Our experience was incredible, the service was fantastic nothing was disappointing. Anything you wanted at any time was possible. They treated you like royalty there, which was kinda uncomfortable for me. We went down for my wife's friends wedding and she had difficulty with emails as well. Everything turned out great though. Their shuttle serves was seamless. They picked my wife and I up promptly in a new Tahoe, with cold beer at the ready. The driver was great.
I was kinda concerned about Cancun as well, but the resort properties are actually quite a ways away from the city, (45 min drive from airport) and pretty secluded. Things might have gotten worse since I was there last September though.
The beaches were awesome too, and I'm really not an ocean/beach person.
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Im really not a beach person either; this trip is more for the wives. My friend and I are considering packing the 7 weights and hiring a guide to do a little fishing while down there.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Have been to Kauai 10 times, Maui 8 times, Kona 2 times, and Oahu 5 times in the past ~30 years. Just returned from Maui and Kona about two weeks ago. Flights between islands are quick and relatively inexpensive, my daughter and I flew over to Kona for a night Manta Dive on our last trip. I am not much of a beach person and like to be active (hiking, snorkeling, scuba diving, good food, etc). My favorite islands are Kauai and Maui. Kauai is more laid-back with some great hiking. Maui has more of a “tourist” feel but has better diving/snorkeling, road to Hana, and some epic hiking in Haleakala crater. I recommend staying the night in Hana rather than driving round trip in one day and not being able to spend enough time at the end of the road. If you go, feel free to PM me for specifics about Maui or Kauai.

JFK

WKR
Kauai is worth going to.

East cape of Baja around Los Barilles is really nice too and worth looking into. In fact I’d go there before Hawaii. Really fun place.

Kauai is worth going to.

East cape of Baja around Los Barilles is really nice too and worth looking into. In fact I’d go there before Hawaii. Really fun place.

Yep, I'd definitely go back to Mexico, before going to Hawaii again. No question.

If the beach is important, be careful anywhere you go that is on the Caribbean/Atlantic side. The seaweed these days can really put the squash on a trip in a hurry. If you stick to the Pacific problem solved.

bozeman

WKR
Bora Bora- thank me later.

We are going to Honolulu this summer with the kiddos. Our effort hit all 50 satiates with them……

Another vote for Kauai. Went there for our honeymoon back in 2006. Special place

Or you could go to Alaska and fish for salmon and halibut.

Been to Oahu once, 10 days. No interest in going back.
Feel like the Caribbean does a better job of, that Get-away feeling, and with more bang for the buck.
Plus, the flight from the mid-west, just isn't worth the lost time.