Vacation ideas? Hawaii?

Felton

WKR
I’m from Washington but live in Georgia now. I highly recommend camping somewhere along highway 101. I know several places in Washington that have unbelievable camp grounds (salt creek, kalalock, Toleak point) maybe stop and stay at a resort for a couple days in between campgrounds. Take a rod and reel to do some fishing, do some day hikes in the mountains, go whale watching if that suites your fancy, charter a captain to take you fishing, ocean kayaking, hit the hoh rain forest, while you’re there check out the solduc hot springs, go south into Oregon and rent a dune buggy to explore the Oregon dunes (did you know Oregon has dunes?)

Last edited:
OP
D
You didn’t mention in your original post where you’re headed from and what you and, likely more importantly, what your wife enjoys doing on vacation…that might help for better targeted recommendations
Georgia. We like experiences so snorkeling, zip lines, exploring, hiking, history-all the vacation tropes lol

Kauai is okay IMO. Very quiet, small, one trip and I don't have a strong interest to go back.
Oahu, at times feels like a crazy busy city, but glad we went. Pearl Harbor is great. Shark cage, Dole Plantation, etc.
I really enjoy the Big Island. Hilo is tropical. You have ranches. Good snorkeling. Volcano National Park. Kona is nice. Mauna Kea. I like the diversity.
I have never made to Maui but it's well liked.

I’d really suggest Maui. It’s got a good mix of everything. Awesome beaches, good snorkeling in areas, cool waterfalls to hike to and great restaurants. We love the Kaanapali area to stay at. If you end up there let me know and I’ll give you some good restaurants to check out.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a more laid back, tropical/nature experience, then Kauai is awesome. I’d look to stay at the North end around Princeville or Hanalei…great beaches, awesome snorkeling and tropical cliffs that plunge into the ocean…need to likely book a parking pass or bus pass through their parks site to get up to Ke’e and the famous hiking trail up there (do this now if planning to go). I’d skip Poipu area where most everyone goes, other than maybe a day trip to shop/eat. The West coast goes up to Waimea Canyon nicknamed the Grand Canyon of Hawaii. Lots of waterfalls and scenic overlooks as it heads further North.

Maui is a decent blend of more shopping and outdoor activities; not nearly as busy as Oahu…like someone else mentioned staying on the Northwest end near Kaanapali/Napili on up to Kapalua is pretty and away from the busier tourist areas of Wailea and Makena Beach. But if you want rainforest hiking, you have to drive all the way to Hana. Maui has nice beaches but apart from Hana it’s more arid/desert like.

I’m not a fan of Oahu…Honolulu/Waikiki area is like San Francisco on the beach. Traffic is terrible. You can head to pretty parts on the island, but it gets busy.

If islands aren’t a set decision and you haven’t been to the Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier all of those areas are very scenic with plenty of hiking and gorgeous mountains.

Best wishes planning your trip

All the Hawaiian islands have their pro's and cons. A lot of people hate on Oahu, and for good reason, but the beaches there are pretty flipping nice compared to a couple other islands and there is a lot to do, and a lot of history there. I'm not a fan of "the road to Hana" never understood the fascination, and when you get there, a couple of the beaches are so so. Nothing to write home about that's for sure. Just take a tent and sleep there and drive back the next day if you do go. I enjoy Hawaii, enjoy it a lot. Some of the off the trail places that the islands can give you are incredible, remote, and dangerous as you care to venture. If you can get away, the bowhunting there can be very good, especially up in the "Cliffs' to nowhere. The fruit on the way up isn't bad either.

Attachments

• IMG-20180627-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20180627-WA0008.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20180629-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20180629-WA0013.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG-20180629-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20180629-WA0014.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-20180629-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20180629-WA0015.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG-20180629-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20180629-WA0016.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 30

Rob5589

WKR
Never see it talked about but, a road trip around the north end of Maui is a cool trip. There's a blow hole to see on the way and plenty of scenery. The road gets one lane wide so take your time and honk going around the bends. You'll come into a neat little town dropped into a valley. There's a lady that has a roadside stand selling banana bread, roasted coconut, and other stuff. Stock up it's delicious! The road eventually winds down into Kahului.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
We did 10 days at the Fairmont in Wailea, Maui a few years ago. I am not a beach guy and probably spent 6hrs total in the sand. Road to Hana, Sunrise at Haleakala and bike down was an amazing experience. Took a $50 flight to Molakai and killed an axis deer. I thought I would just go on this trip because my now wife and I had just started dating and went for one of her friends little brothers wedding and felt I had to go. I loved it. 10 days is a long time over there, but there really is a lot to do. I would not go back for 5 days or less. I will go back. Several in our group booked a vrbo in Hana and drove half one day, half the next. Look into that. If you plan it right, you can bounch around to different islands, or even different locations on the same island.

OP
D
All the Hawaiian islands have their pro's and cons. A lot of people hate on Oahu, and for good reason, but the beaches there are pretty flipping nice compared to a couple other islands and there is a lot to do, and a lot of history there. I'm not a fan of "the road to Hana" never understood the fascination, and when you get there, a couple of the beaches are so so. Nothing to write home about that's for sure. Just take a tent and sleep there and drive back the next day if you do go. I enjoy Hawaii, enjoy it a lot. Some of the off the trail places that the islands can give you are incredible, remote, and dangerous as you care to venture. If you can get away, the bowhunting there can be very good, especially up in the "Cliffs' to nowhere. The fruit on the way up isn't bad either.
Love it! Thank you

OP
D
I’m from Washington but live in Georgia now. I highly recommend camping somewhere along highway 101. I know several places in Washington that have unbelievable camp grounds (salt creek, kalalock, Toleak point) maybe stop and stay at a resort for a couple days in between campgrounds. Take a rod and reel to do some fishing, do some day hikes in the mountains, go whale watching if that suites your fancy, charter a captain to take you fishing, ocean kayaking, hit the hoh rain forest, while you’re there check out the solduc hot springs, go south into Oregon and rent a dune buggy to explore the Oregon dunes (did you know Oregon has dunes?)
Never would have imagined! Thanks

Ursus

FNG
Take a look at Koloa Landing on Kauai. Great spot on the island and a bit removed from crowds. There are a couple of good restaurants that are relatively inexpensive (Da Crack, Pizza, and Italian food in the cool downtown area ) nearby, a shopping area, and fine dining if that is your thing. They have a great pool and a good facility where you can stroll down to the end and watch the sunset.

If you are interested in fishing or hunting there, check out Hunt & Fish Kauai, they took great care of my boys and me when we were there.