Vahalla or Tiburon?

Daniel_M

WKR
Yep, the new model would just be getting in now.

If you get a chance, try the new Valhalla on and report back.

Thanks!

Aron can you clarify the new gear that is on the shelf as some Sportsman's Warehouse. For instance, the Koldo Rain gear are labeled as GenII gear...so is this 2013 or 2012 leftovers?

The Tiburon shirt problem is likely one of cut rather than material (or perhaps more specifically the cut given the material). We successfully used clothing made from material with no appreciable stretch for decades.

Edit: my point (which did not come through well above) is that there is a shortcoming to 2 way stretch versus 4-way stretch regardless of the direction of the stretch, but that can be addressed by providing more room to mitigate the lack of stretch. It sounds like Kuiu made the Tiburon stuff with a "4 way stretch" cut using "2 way stretch" material and the pants and (especially) the shirt suffer as a result.

Agree with you MattB, I think. More room would have helped. However, the tight cut of the sleeve is nice for bow hunting and sneaking through the brush. I prefer them to be that tight. But it cannot be that tight and not stretch. So the problem in my opinion is the direction of the stretch in the sleeve.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It seems to me that the price of the Kryptek gear is pretty good. I hope their pants are like the Sitka Ascent pants because those are my favorite hunting pants so far.

At $99.00 instead of $150.00, they could be a winner!

I am really looking forward to comparing the new Kryptek with my Ascent pants.

I'm also hoping to compare the Kryptek with the Kuiu. I will report back if I get a chance to compare them side by side.

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with you MattB, I think. More room would have helped. However, the tight cut of the sleeve is nice for bow hunting and sneaking through the brush. I prefer them to be that tight. But it cannot be that tight and not stretch. So the problem in my opinion is the direction of the stretch in the sleeve.

I agree with both of you, more room may have helped (especially the shirt) and the stretch is totally wrong in the sleeves of the shirt. Compare my Tiburon shirt (size Lg) with my Sitka Core Zip-T (size Med) and freedom of movement is night and day different. The Sitka is more form fitting and not restrictive at all. The stretch is opposite the Tiburon, although it is suppose to be 4-way there is little to no vertical stretch and a lot of horizontal. If all things remain the same except the direction of the stretch in the sleeve, I would say the Tiburon shirt would be much better and I could wear a medium and not have sleeves going down to my knuckles. :)

BowBob

Banned
In my humble opinion the extra $50 you may spend on Kuiu gear is money well spent. I don't mean to be disrespectful to Aron as I know he has worked hard to develop and promote Kryptek.

The Valhalla pants are more similar to the Attack pants than the Tiburons. If you compare the Valhalla to the Attacks they both have 4 way stretch but the Valhalla's achieve this through spandex which is a cheaper way of getting the 4 way stretch. Like Aron said, Krptek is trying to meet a price point so they are willing to use cheaper materials.

One of the major things that I like about Kuiu is that they develop their gear without price points. They just set out to make the best gear available. And they make it affordable because they only offer it online and eliminate the retail markup you get from every other company. If they were going to sell the Tiburons at Cabelas I'm sure they would be twice as expensive as they are now.

For a hot weather pant the Tiburons are going to be much more breathable and cooler than the Valhalla's because of the micro dot technology which allows air to pass through more freely.

dotman

WKR
In my humble opinion the extra $50 you may spend on Kuiu gear is money well spent. I don't mean to be disrespectful to Aron as I know he has worked hard to develop and promote Kryptek.

The Valhalla pants are more similar to the Attack pants than the Tiburons. If you compare the Valhalla to the Attacks they both have 4 way stretch but the Valhalla's achieve this through spandex which is a cheaper way of getting the 4 way stretch. Like Aron said, Krptek is trying to meet a price point so they are willing to use cheaper materials.

One of the major things that I like about Kuiu is that they develop their gear without price points. They just set out to make the best gear available. And they make it affordable because they only offer it online and eliminate the retail markup you get from every other company. If they were going to sell the Tiburons at Cabelas I'm sure they would be twice as expensive as they are now.

For a hot weather pant the Tiburons are going to be much more breathable and cooler than the Valhalla's because of the micro dot technology which allows air to pass through more freely.

Not sure if I agree but we all have our own opinions. After having both I didn't see that big of a diff in Kuiu quality over kryptek, sold all my Kuiu but 1 pair of very used attack pants. The Vahalla's are not similar to the attack. The attack pants are much warmer and thicker but that is just my opinion.

Kuiu has a great product but to me it wasn't much better.

So I was one of the fortunate few that got to actually test out some of the new Gen II Kryptek gear, now mind you my closet is full of Sitka, Kuiu, and first light products so Im not biased but I am now with this years new line up.... My opinion on the Vahalla pants is as follows... Last years Vahalla pants were tight in the thighs for me because I have a J-LO boodie, and thunder thighs like a child Bearing Woman LOL, the material also fuzzed up a little but that was because of the manufacturer using a off spec material i believe without approval.... This years Vahalla's kick ass the slightly new cut and and 4 way stretch make for a more relaxing fit for my body style. I live in western Washington were the blackberries and brush grows so thick much of the terrain is impassable. The new Vahallas in my opinion with the 4 way stretch actually had a little give to them when snagged up and the material would rebound back nicely once pulled free, without tearing or even any noticeable pin holes, and absolutely no fuzz issues this go around A+++! After a morning hiking trip in the rain followed by an overcast but dry afternoon the pants dried very quickly, and had superb breathing qualities. I cant really imagine there being much difference in dry times between the two pants with there only being 12% spandex in them, thats a pretty minimal %. Who really worries about the weight of there pants anyways and were talking oz's here. I more interested in the Breathability/quality silent fabrics/seams/and fit... Im not sure were the Parachute pants comment came in but I would have to say thats the farthest thing from the truth with these new pants. They do resemble the Sitka Ascent pants in a way but I like the material composition much better and the cheaper price point allows me to save some a little money to puts towards another hunt or article of clothing.... Or flowers for the wife after a long Hunting trip!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Bowbob, I have the older Valhalla's the Tiburons and the Attacks. The Attacks are my favorite hunting pants period. But they are much thicker then the Valhalla's.

Both of the Lightweight pants breath very well. To close to call IME. To this point the durability goes to the Tiburons.

Disclamer: I paid for all of my Pants:)

ELASTANE FIBRES (SPANDEX FIBERS)

Significance
The elastic revolution.

Elastane fibres, better known under their trade names, Lycra and Dorlastan, represent a further high point in the development of man-made fibres. Invented in 1937 in Germany, elastane has properties not found in nature, the most important being an extraordinary elasticity.
Compared to rubber, elastane has both greater tear resistance and durability and a tension capacity two or three times greater, at a third of the weight. Elastane is used in all areas where a high degree of permanent elasticity is required, as, for example, in tights, sportswear, swimwear, corsetry, and in woven and knitted fabrics. When stretched, it always reverts to its original form. Elastane thus is a prerequisite for fashionable or functional apparel which is intended to cling to the body, while at the same time remaining comfortable.

The fibre
Elastane combines its good properties with both natural and man-made fibres.
There are two principal methods used in processing elastane. One is to wrap the elastane fibre in a non-elastic thread - either natural or man-made. The resulting yarn has the appearance and feel of the outer fibre used. The second method involves using pure elastane threads, which are worked or woven into fabrics made from other fibres. The added elasticity makes such fabrics more comfortable to wear. Blends with elastane depend on the type of fabric and the end use.
On care labels elastane is often designated as "EL".

Properties
High performance and easy care.
Elastane fibres can be stretched from four to seven times their length, reverting to their original length when the tension is relaxed. Elastane has the highest stretch tension of all textile raw materials.

Two per cent elastane is enough to make trousers, for instance, retain their shape. For body-shaped silhouette and high stretch capacity, i.e. in swimwear, corsetry or sportswear, 15 - 40% elastane is used.

Elastane fibres guarantee a high degree of comfort combined with great freedom of movement.

In woven and knitted fabrics elastane increases shape retention and accelerates crease recovery.

Elastane is not sensitive to transpiration, make-up, cosmetics, sun cream or sea water. For example swimwear with elastane should be rinsed out after bathing.

Elastane is easy to care for.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Just like James (Bearhunter), I was fortunate enough to have seen, worn and test out some of the new 2013 Kryptek line and my opinion of the Valhallas is extremely positive to say the least.

The one thing that really gets me is that people have opinions on a product that they have never seen nor tested. I think both companies make a great product but to come out and say, "For a hot weather pant the Tiburons are going to be much more breathable and cooler than the Valhalla's because of the micro dot technology which allows air to pass through more freely.", is a complete and utter juvenile move. You can't say because Kryptek uses spandex that the product is inferior if you have never put it thru the ringer yourself.

Please do your homework, buy the Kryptek stuff and test it. THEN AND ONLY THEN can you have an honest opinion about what is better. PERIOD!

Disclaimer: I didn't pay for all of my Pants :D LOL

dotman

WKR
Just like James (Bearhunter), I was fortunate enough to have seen, worn and test out some of the new 2013 Kryptek line and my opinion of the Valhallas is extremely positive to say the least.

The one thing that really gets me is that people have opinions on a product that they have never seen nor tested. I think both companies make a great product but to come out and say, "For a hot weather pant the Tiburons are going to be much more breathable and cooler than the Valhalla's because of the micro dot technology which allows air to pass through more freely.", is a complete and utter juvenile move. You can't say because Kryptek uses spandex that the product is inferior if you have never put it thru the ringer yourself.

Please do your homework, buy the Kryptek stuff and test it. THEN AND ONLY THEN can you have an honest opinion about what is better. PERIOD!

Disclaimer: I didn't pay for all of my Pants :D LOL

My thought is this, what gives you a better mental picture without really looking at facts? The word spandex or phrase micro dot tech? Marketing is all it is. The old Valhalla pants are not bad, yes they have issues but I picked mine up for $50 new on sale. I love my attack pants but I'm going to always try to save money and there are good options out there other then marketing, Kuiu has done well with marketing.

Like Ryan my attack pants are my favorite (more so due to fit then material) but I also really like my stoic and kryptek pants. Is Kuiu worth $50 more, not for me they are not but again that is just me and I'm not saying Kuiu isn't good. But if I'm going to spend $150 on new pants this year it probably will be on the first light pants, i like to experiment and probably will never limit myself to one brand :)

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Dotman, I totally agree! I pick and choose what I think is best for my situation. I Love First Lite's merino wool. The Attack pants kick ass and the most under rated Jacket out there is the Kryptek Aegis Jacket. The only thing I won't change is my Kifaru pack in highlander(best camo). Yep I do get very funny looks when I Rok this shit into a store but remember it's not a beauty contest. Wear what fits your needs!

dotman

WKR
Dotman, I totally agree! I pick and choose what I think is best for my situation. I Love First Lite's merino wool. The Attack pants kick ass and the most under rated Jacket out there is the Kryptek Aegis Jacket. The only thing I won't change is my Kifaru pack in highlander(best camo). Yep I do get very funny looks when I Rok this shit into a store but remember it's not a beauty contest. Wear what fits your needs!

Just ask my wife, I'm a fashion disaster and rarely match :). Heck I just traded for a bright orange Patagonia nano puff for my puffy layer :). But I digress, that is another topic in itself :). Crap I have a hard time deciding what I'll take between Kuiu, kryptek, first light, stoic, wild things, Patagonia, Outdoor research, crap the list goes on and on.

Ok back on topic, unless you are stuck on just one brand you can't go wrong with either :)

I will say I changed my Kifaru pack from highlander.....to coyote brown :)

Disclaimer, I have only tried the Valhalla and that is the 2012 model.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oh lord, the PM box is filling up fast!

As most of you know, I used Kuiu and Sitka for a long time and think they both make great gear. I still feel that way, but am now in a position that I can help design clothing for Kryptek. That means I can change, add or re design things that I didn't like with other companies.

Here's a few examples:

I loved the material on the Sitka Ascent pants, but the cut was a bit tight on the legs and crotch, so I would rip out at least two sets a season. To fix this issue I would buy XL pants, cut 3 inches from the waist line and then have a set of pants that now fit. The 2013 Valhalla is the answer (IMO) to those issues. The 12% spandex:) allows for a ton of stretch, but the material is extremely light weight and the cut is perfect at the same time. This gives me a great mountain hunting pant in early season that won't break the bank. That does not mean that the Ascent pants are bad, but it does mean that the Valhalla work for me better. (FYI....the material on the Ascent and Valhalla are very close)

The Kuiu Attack pant is probably one of the best pants ever designed. They have a great DWR finish, almost perfect cut and are very durable. The down side to the Attack, for me anyway, was they were very hot and my balls would sweat to death when temps were above 60 degrees. So we re designed the Alaios to offer hunters something something else to choose from. The 2013 Alaios has a 3m coating on the knees for durability, a few extra pockets, and a fastening system that will allow you to keep them up without a belt. They are also a bit lighter weight than the Attack and won't make you sweat as much. Does this mean that they are better than the Attack? No, but the Alaios is another great option for hunters to pick from.

The Borealis top is something that the backpack hunting industry has never seen. The front of the jacket is puffy/insulated, but the back and sleeves are merino wool.You will basically be able to wear this jacket when your backpack is on, but won't sweat to death. I did not design this, but was able to add some of my thoughts to the final product. Does this mean that the Borealis is better than the something Kuiu offers? No, but it's one hell of a piece of clothing that any mountain would use.

I can keep going on this, but I'm sure you get the point.... all of this is good stuff and the more options the better for customers.

dotman

WKR
Oh lord, the PM box is filling up fast!

As most of you know, I used Kuiu and Sitka for a long time and think they both make great gear. I still feel that way, but am now in a position that I can help design clothing for Kryptek. That means I can change, add or re design things that I didn't like with other companies.

Here's a few examples:

I loved the material on the Sitka Ascent pants, but the cut was a bit tight on the legs and crotch, so I would rip out at least two sets a season. To fix this issue I would buy XL pants, cut 3 inches from the waist line and then have a set of pants that now fit. The 2013 Valhalla is the answer (IMO) to those issues. The 12% spandex:) allows for a ton of stretch, but the material is extremely light weight and the cut is perfect at the same time. This gives me a great mountain hunting pant in early season that won't break the bank. That does not mean that the Ascent pants are bad, but it does mean that the Valhalla work for me better. (FYI....the material on the Ascent and Valhalla are very close)

The Kuiu Attack pant is probably one of the best pants ever designed. They have a great DWR finish, almost perfect cut and are very durable. The down side to the Attack, for me anyway, was they were very hot and my balls would sweat to death when temps were above 60 degrees. So we re designed the Alaios to offer hunters something something else to choose from. The 2013 Alaios has a 3m coating on the knees for durability, a few extra pockets, and a fastening system that will allow you to keep them up without a belt. They are also a bit lighter weight than the Attack and won't make you sweat as much. Does this mean that they are better than the Attack? No, but the Alaios is another great option for hunters to pick from.

The Borealis top is something that the backpack hunting industry has never seen. The front of the jacket is puffy/insulated, but the back and sleeves are merino wool.You will basically be able to wear this jacket when your backpack is on, but won't sweat to death. I did not design this, but was able to add some of my thoughts to the final product. Does this mean that the Borealis is better than the something Kuiu offers? No, but it's one hell of a piece of clothing that any mountain would use.

I can keep going on this, but I'm sure you get the point.... all of this is good stuff and the more options the better for customers.

Well of course your pm box is filling up, people want YOU to tell them what to buy :). Funny thing is you can't go wrong with either so pick a pattern and go, lol.