VCRs (Very Compact Rifles)

wildcat33

WKR
I’m very interested in a VCR and looking for suggestions. For me this requires two things: 16in barrel and folding stock. Economical is a big plus. Short action cartridge.

If I had the bucks a seekins slam would end the discussion but that is out of my price range. The sig cross and cross trax look the closest best option but has some drawbacks. XLR atom chassis looks very cool but spendy and requires a rem clone action (prefer tikka but don’t strongly object to rem).

Anyone have some builds and ideas they can share?

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
What's the minimum cartridge you're open to? Is a folding stock AR (even straight pull?) something you'd be open to?

I guess I have a VCR by that definition but it's not at all what you had in mind. I have two 6.5CM barreled actions, two chassis, two scopes, and a variety of suppressors that I kind of just mix and match accordingly when I want to reduce/raise weight and compactness.

Barreled actions:
1. Trued R700 with a 16.5" Bartlein barrel / Sendero contour and Huber two-stage trigger
2. Mausingfield with 22" Proof carbon Sendero contour barrel and Huber two-stage trigger

Chassis:
1. KRG X-Ray with ARCA rail
2. KRG Whiskey-3 folding chassis with ARCA spigot, ARCA rail, etc.

Scopes:
1. Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50 in MOA because I'm a moron and ignored my own reservations about getting MOA
2. Vortex Razor G3 6-36x56 in MRAD

So one of the combinations I'll be using (for only a few types of hunts) is the R700 steel barreled action with the folding Whiskey-3 chassis and probably the Razor G3. With my bipod, largest suppressor, and other accessories it'll probably be 17-18 pounds.

Honestly man given what you said, I think dropping a Tikka barreled action into an MDT Hnt26 chassis might be the most economical thing for you to do unless there's some other Tikka compatible lightweight folding chassis I'm unaware of. Depending on your final weight goal I'd grab a Tikka CTR in 6.5CM or .308, cut the barrel to 16", and drop it into an MDT Hnt26.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
What's the minimum cartridge you're open to? Is a folding stock AR (even straight pull?) something you'd be open to?

6cm, 6.5cm, 7mm-08, 308 is what I had in mind. But open to ideas. I’d like to use for CO deer and elk and I’m not on the 223 for elk train, yet.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd probably get a Howa 16.25 barreled action in 6.5 or 308 from brownells. These won't be super light though. They have a relatively heavy barrel profile. Then pick the chassis of your choice. Another interesting option could be a Howa mini in 6mm ARC or 6.5 Grendel in a chassis. Or Ruger american ranch in 6.5G.

Hnthrdr

WKR
so I have something that sort of fits the bill, but I decided against a folding stock. I can always go back and add a folder if I want. But grabbed a CA MPP in .308, used its Carbon chassis and I swapped the 12.5 barrel for a 16 so I could put a stock on it with out having Johnny law up my ass. It’s a pretty light pretty compact package,

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 75

z987k

WKR
Ya, for compact you either need a break action like a T/C encore or a bullpup, like the mk machine chassis or a desert tech.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Good stuff here. Thanks for info. I’ll do some research.

I’m not set on a bolt gun. But definitely want mag feed. I’m very intrigued by the hobbit gun stuff. Will go back and read through it again.

If you want very compact, it would be hard to beat a T/C Encore with a folding stock.

Even without a folding stock, they are hard to beat. My 18" .308 with the camo thumbhole stock is very short overall. Perfect pop-up, ground blind gun. Even with a suppressor on it, it is shorter than my factory Tikka 7RM.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m very interested in a VCR and looking for suggestions. For me this requires two things: 16in barrel and folding stock. Economical is a big plus. Short action cartridge.

If I had the bucks a seekins slam would end the discussion but that is out of my price range. The sig cross and cross trax look the closest best option but has some drawbacks. XLR atom chassis looks very cool but spendy and requires a rem clone action (prefer tikka but don’t strongly object to rem).

Every time a short lightweight 308 barrel comes along it makes me think of a folding stock! Lol

sram9102

WKR
If you didn't have to file paperwork to cross state lines with an sbr, my switch lug tikka would have a few short barrels. A bolt action shorty 300 bo shooting subs always grabs my attention. I could also do 95 percent of my hunting with a cut down 6/6.5 rifle.

Op, a 6 arc ar pistol would make a handy little gun to pack around.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
I’m set on a repeater of some kind so the encore is out.

SLG

FNG
I have used a Q Fix since they came out. I have a 16" 308 barrel and a 20" 6.5CM. It shoots great and has phenomenal ergonomics. Downside is that metal guns kind of suck in cold weather hunting, so I often prefer a wood or synthetic stock. Here is a pic of a Pronghorn my daughter took with it a few years ago. Not a great pic of the gun and it has a can on it so it is less compact, lol.IMG_9804.jpeg

Legend

WKR

Hard to beat a break action single shot if you want short. If you found a folding stock it would be a 20inch rifle.