Vehicle Advice

Billinsd

WKR
If you get one, install a separate trans cooler on the 3rd gen and you'll never have the strawberry milkshake problem.
Right, You need to re-route the tranny line out of the bottom of the radiator to eliminate the milkshake, which can happen in any automatic and does. The Tacos have a reputation for it on the Taco forums. However, I think it's because the owners are more vocal on the Taco forums when it happens. There are no statistics. What the milkshake is, is when the tranny line that goes into the bottom of the radiator, fails and ruptures and tranny fluid mixes with coolant. So, you to install a tranny cooler and re-route tranny line out of radiator. The problem with this is if you live where it gets cold. Because, then you don't have the radiator to warm the tranny fluid and could have issues with real cold tranny fluid. I installed a tranny cooler on my truck and a temperature gauge, because I didn't want tranny oil getting too hot. My tranny line goes through radiator and it hasn't failed yet in 17 years and 130,000 miles. Bill

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The older pickups (89 included I think) were solid front axle -

The 89's don't have the solid axle, but I drove my brother in laws '85 enough to know that I much prefer my '89 to his. I hear people complain about the 3.0L a lot, but I can't complain about it at all. After 31 years it won't do 80 up the mountain passes anymore, but beyond that it hasn't lacked for much of anything.

Squamch

WKR
The older pickups (89 included I think) were solid front axle - highly desirable for folks wanting to build something for offroad, and thus command more.

The cool thing about the 3rd gen is its essentially a pickup/tacoma whit a different body - but without the price point. The 3rd gen v6 (3.4) is also a whole lot better motor than the 2nd gen (3.0).

Brent

Solid axle was 79-85.
2nd gen pickup is 84-88, runners first gen was 84-88, the 89-95 body style in both trucks and 4runners are all IFS unless it's from overseas or has been SAS'd.
Unless you're planning on some gnarly wheeling, IFS is fine, contrary to the internet's opinions.
IFS will ride better than 90% of leaf sprung SAS jobs, and factory parts are getting scarce for solid front ends. I've seen prices for a complete front end go from $100 to $500 in my area in the 15 years I've been building these trucks.
With a competent driver, a stock height runner or pickup, with a cheap rear locker or welded diff, and good 31's, will go about anywhere you have business taking a truck.

Weak points- the 3.0 mentioned previously is much maligned, but, do headgaskets and headers (the #6 hole blown HG issue is caused by the crossover pipe heating that corner of the head much more than the rest). I like to over torque the head bolts by about 10lbs. I have yet to have a HG job I've done, blow. A few have over 150,000km on them. 3.0 is a decent motor. 3.4s have the same HG issues, they just have a bit more power. A 3.0 that's properly tuned and cared for will move a loaded pickup just fine.
22re is the other available motor. Strong points- change the oil, dont let the timing guides wear out, and they go and go and go. My current one hasn't had a working odometer since 2 owners before me...it is stopped at 499,xxxkm.
Weak points- the timing guides wear out, wear a hole in the timing cover, you get milkshake oil, which is misdiagnosed as a blown head gasket.

Toyota frames always suck. Show up with a claw hammer and a big ol flathead screwdriver. Crawl under it and start tapping and poking the frame. If the seller starts telling you to stop, forget that one. Or beat him down on price, and break out the welder. LOOK BEHIND THE GAS TANK on the inside of the frame.
4runners tend to rust at the upper coil buckets, and link brackets on the axle. Mine was so rusted I cut it all off and put leafs in instead.

Jeeps-the 4.0 is a great motor, and the ax15 5spd is the same as a toyota w56 5spd found in 4cylinder trucks and 4runners.
Ok, I'm done listing good things about jeeps, literally everything else is a weak point.

bertha

FNG
My 1996 Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.7 has over 375,000 miles on it. Averages 17 MPG. You can find them with high miles for really cheap and they flat out last.
Nice...
o.png

Billinsd

WKR
My 1996 Tahoe 4x4 with the 5.7 has over 375,000 miles on it. Averages 17 MPG. You can find them with high miles for really cheap and they flat out last.
Have you replaced head gasket, engine mounts, wheel bearings, suspension parts, or performed major engine, tranny repairs? Thanks

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Have you replaced head gasket, engine mounts, wheel bearings, suspension parts, or performed major engine, tranny repairs? Thanks
Always do routine maintenance on all of my vehicles. Motor mounts are original and fine. Wheel bearings replaced at 250K. Takes like 2 hours total and cheap parts. Original suspension other than front bushings. No major engine work just routine replacement of wear parts (belts, fluids, plugs, wires, etc). Tranny and transfer case get new fluid every 100K and leave it alone haha. Easy to work on. Cheap parts.

Billinsd

WKR
Wheel bearings replaced at 250K. Takes like 2 hours total and cheap parts.
2hrs for wheel bearings? Seriously? Are they like repairing them in most cars and trucks? On my Tacoma I looked at a Youtube video and yes the bearing itself is cheap. But OH man!, what a lot of labor and mostly looks like banging with a hammer and/or sledge and they are buried in all those pressed together parts!! Of course if you got the hydraulic tools or heavy tools to do the job it's much easier.
Tranny and transfer case get new fluid every 100K and leave it alone haha.
I do those fluids at 100,000 miles too. Tell me more about the wheel bearings and how you replace them in 2 hours. I'd LOVE to be able to do that...... Thanks Bill

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
2hrs for wheel bearings? Seriously? Are they like repairing them in most cars and trucks? On my Tacoma I looked at a Youtube video and yes the bearing itself is cheap. But OH man!, what a lot of labor and mostly looks like banging with a hammer and/or sledge and they are buried in all those pressed together parts!! Of course if you got the hydraulic tools or heavy tools to do the job it's much easier. I do those fluids at 100,000 miles whether it needs it or not, I'm joking.....
[/QUOTE]

I have a shop and air tools. I'm spoiled I guess haha.

2hrs for wheel bearings? Seriously? Are they like repairing them in most cars and trucks? On my Tacoma I looked at a Youtube video and yes the bearing itself is cheap. But OH man!, what a lot of labor and mostly looks like banging with a hammer and/or sledge and they are buried in all those pressed together parts!! Of course if you got the hydraulic tools or heavy tools to do the job it's much easier. I do those fluids at 100,000 miles too. Tell me more about the wheel bearings and how you replace them in 2 hours. I'd LOVE to be able to do that...... Thanks Bill

I have an 03 Tahoe with 267,000 miles on it. I drive it all over. So far this year it has been to Arizona, Colorado and getting ready to head to Nebraska. All from Arkansas. I have changed wheel bearings on it several times over the years and it only takes about 3 hours. Take off wheel, brakes and rotors. Axle nut and the three bolts holding in the hub and off it comes.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have an 03 Tahoe with 267,000 miles on it. I drive it all over. So far this year it has been to Arizona, Colorado and getting ready to head to Nebraska. All from Arkansas. I have changed wheel bearings on it several times over the years and it only takes about 3 hours. Take off wheel, brakes and rotors. Axle nut and the three bolts holding in the hub and off it comes.

Yep. With my air tools and impact it's about 30 min per wheel bearing max.

Fatcamp

WKR
Toyota frames only suck in 2/3 of the country. Haven't seen a bad one yet in my area of California.

True story. My 4runner was sold new in California and lived on the front range of Colorado for a decade. Brought it home to South Dakota last summer. Around here I have looked at them with gaps in the frames I could put my hand through.