Missouri Breaks - Fuel

I've looked through other threads about the breaks and haven't found much about fuel issues aside from others saying to bring extra. I will be hunting 621/622 during archery season and am wondering how much fuel I should bring. I have a 32 gallon tank and get around 16 mpg average. I have two 5 gallons already, will I need more than that? I don't want to be limited on driving farther in if that's where I need to go. I'll be scouting soon but was hoping for some advice on how much I should bring to start.

I think you will be fine. Fill up in Malta or somewhere on 191 and head in. If you're planning to hunt the CMR you will definitely be okay. You will end up driving and parking. Even if you switch sides of the unit I think you will still be okay.

It’s a long drive to the gas station either way you go. I’d bring more than you think you need

Malta to fourchette bay is 60 miles one way
Zortman to James Kipp is 30 miles

You use up a good part of your day going to get fuel especially when you are in 622.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SlinkinElk
Thanks for the info! I'm heading out to do some scouting tomorrow, looking forward to checking the area out.

Djacker

WKR
I brought 7 extra gallons last year, 5 gallons would've been enough for me. Good luck on your hunt, I'll be there in November.

dtrkyman

WKR
I brought 5 gallons extra, never used it but was good insurance and piece of mind knowing I could have ran out of gas in the tank and made it back easy anyway.

hobbes

WKR
I know that you can get fuel in Malta and Harlem to the north and Grass Range to the south. I don't know about Zortman. If you get 16 on the HWY, you won't be getting that on BLM roads. 10 gallons are probably fine because it sounds like that'd get you out from anywhere.

OP
SlinkinElk
Thanks everyone for the tips with the fuel, went out before the rain this weekend and made it in far and back out without having to touch the spare fuel, good piece of mind though.

Some really cool country, @406huntermt that is my main goal, I've heard how crowded it can be.

@Djacker good luck to you with your hunt as well! That's a nice tag

hunterjmj

WKR
FYI, if it gets muddy you'll burn a bunch more fuel. I always take 10 extra gallons just in case. My fuel gauge has come dangerously close to empty a few times. I'm a slow learner. 🤣

OP
SlinkinElk
Super late getting back to this, but just wanted to say thank you to those who gave me the advice. It was a cool hunt, learned a lot, and was lucky enough to take my first bull with a bow. Came down to the wire on closing day, but got it done.

Attachments

• IMG_8768.jpg
    IMG_8768.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 186

Herbie03

Lil-Rokslider
Nice Bull. If drawn, I'm hunting the 620-1 this sept. Can I pm you for info? (if you don't want to put it out here)