Venison roast like brisket on pellet grill anyone?

oldgoat

WKR
This probably should go in food section but wanted an answer faster and this section gets more traffic. Curious if anybody low and slow's venison roast on pellet grills. I've done them on the pellet grill, I've just not done them like a brisket where you smoke to 160 unwrapped and then wrap in foil and finish cooking to 204. Was thinking of placing celery, potatoes and carrots etc in the foil with the roast for the final cook. Is this a dumb idea?

OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

WKR
I just did this on Friday with an elk roast. Turned out fantastic. Marinated in worchestershire sauce w/onion, then smoked it low and slow on my Pit Boss pellet grill. Turned out fantastic.View attachment 125132
Cool! I'm going to experiment with a deer roast before I risk my moose roasts lol! I'll probably never get to moose hunt again so got to make those count!

Been there and done that and not doing anymore. I've done Briskets, hole legs front and rear, and in the end it wasn't my thing. I've cold smoked a brisket and then finished covered in bbq sauce that was better, but still not worth it for me.
There's just no fat in them to keep them moist and add flavor.
Just one mans opinion here.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Been there and done that and not doing anymore. I've done Briskets, hole legs front and rear, and in the end it wasn't my thing. I've cold smoked a brisket and then finished covered in bbq sauce that was better, but still not worth it for me.
There's just no fat in them to keep them moist and add flavor.
Just one mans opinion here.

Did you try it with a pan of liquid (Apple juice)? I always smoke everything with a pan of apple juice for moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't done an elk or deer roast in my smoker, but I would not do it up to 160 or 200 like some state. With the lack of fat I would wipe the roast with olive oil and seasoning and then smoke it at about 225 until it was 130 internal and take it out and let it rest for about 15 minutes. 135 is medium rare and the temperature should rise up to about that. I love my wild game just like my beef medium rare!

Txbownut

FNG
Maybe Smoke at 200 for a few hours, wrap in a foil pan with some apple juice to about 155 internal.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't done an elk or deer roast in my smoker, but I would not do it up to 160 or 200 like some state. With the lack of fat I would wipe the roast with olive oil and seasoning and then smoke it at about 225 until it was 130 internal and take it out and let it rest for about 15 minutes. 135 is medium rare and the temperature should rise up to about that. I love my wild game just like my beef medium rare!
I am planning on smoking a roast this week and following these temperature guidelines. With air temps cooling off nicely this week in New Mexico, I will cold smoke the roast long enough to give a rich smoke flavor then sear in cast iron and drop in a sous vide bath at 135° until dinner time. As stated earlier, the fat content, or lack thereof, in venison doesn't do well with long cook times to a high temp.

Just did a whole antelope shoulder on the pellet grill. Cooked low at 225 for about 4 hours until internal temp was about 130-140. Came out great! I put 4 strips of bacon above it on the top rack and let it drip on the shoulder as it cooked.

Hank Shaw’s basic venison roast recipe turns any roast into the equivalent of prime rib when cut thinly. I’m sure you could cook that on the pellet grill instead of the oven.

Wapiti1

WKR
My go to is to use either lard or bacon fat injected into the meat. Probably 1/4 cup for a 2 pound roast. I don't season the fat. I've found olive oil and other vegetable oils don't penetrate the meat as well and can give an odd flavor. Coat it with your favorite rub and place in fridge.

Take the roast directly from fridge to smoker. Cold surfaces attract the flavors in smoke better. Smoke to an internal temp of 130-140. I use constant smoke in this phase because smaller venison roasts aren't usually in for a long time like a thick cut of beef or pork.

Place in a disposable aluminum pan, pour enough beef broth in to go about half way up the side of the roast, maybe a tad more. Layer in vegetables cut very coarse. I just quarter onions and halve potatoes. Cover in foil, finish in the oven at 300F for about an hour to hour and a half. Test it to see if it pulls apart, it should. If it doesn't I cook a little longer. Cut it up, then put back into the broth so the meat absorbs that flavor and stays more moist.

This is also how I do elk ribs.

Jeremy

This probably should go in food section but wanted an answer faster and this section gets more traffic. Curious if anybody low and slow's venison roast on pellet grills. I've done them on the pellet grill, I've just not done them like a brisket where you smoke to 160 unwrapped and then wrap in foil and finish cooking to 204. Was thinking of placing celery, potatoes and carrots etc in the foil with the roast for the final cook. Is this a dumb idea?

When I smoke a venison roast I inject it with mikes hard cider and then put a pan under it with regular apple cider. Rub the meat before with Salt, pepper, garlic powder,onion powder and red pepper flakes. I have never taken it up to brisket temps though. I take it to 125-130 internal temp and then wrap in foil and put in a cooler for about 30 minutes to let it settle. It comes out an amazing medium rare and super juicy.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't ever take it up to brisket temps. I've done pastrami from a roast and taken it to 150F and it was amazing. I think if you went up above 160F you would be asking for super dry meat.

Twang10

FNG
I would not take it to that high of a temp. Deer dries out so easily. Maybe think about injecting it to keep it moist too!

ChrisS

WKR
My venison doesn't go past 135 (with the exception of ground in preparations other than grilled). I've tried pulled neck roasts and shoulders and still felt it was way too dry. I've dry brined whole hams and slow roasted them at 250 or so over a 75/25 mix of lump charcoal and white oak, pulled at 135 and sliced thin. Those were delicious.

I wrap mine with bacon using toothpicks. Additionally, I ALWAYS have a can of liquid, water, beer, juice... in the smoker to make sure it doesn't dry out.