Venmo Business Account Scam

Anyone seen this Venmo Business Account scam yet? I'm 99.9% confident it's a scam at least.

Seller seemed normal at first, but their account was weird. Then started using some of the typical scammer language, using "kindly" excessively. Got the attached email and the address was a red flag. No action items or notifications in the app for me. And now they're saying they deposited the additional $300 and Venmo won't refund them. Blocked and reported.

Not sure how the scam is supposed to play out, but not sticking around to find out.

Attachments

• Venmo Scam.pdf
    132.8 KB · Views: 35

sndmn11

WKR
They want you to send them money on the pretense of it being a way to verify your account, so you can then receive your money and they pending payment.

The email address is incorrect.

The grammar is incorrect.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
My brain skimmed over the grammatical errors in the email. Since it says the buyer has to deposit $300, I thought that was strange. Especially with how quick they responded with, "I've sent the additional $300". I guess they then ask for the $300 back and you never get the balance.

Anyways, hadn't seen this one before though it was pretty easy to spot. Figured other's could benefit from knowing it's a tactic out there.

MThuntr

WKR
I bet I get 20 of these types of emails daily. They're easy to catch because:
1) sender isn't using the right domain name (venmo, paypal, etc)
2) English is obviously not their first language
3) how often does someone you don't know just send money via Paypal or Venmo (especially without your prior knowledge of an incoming payment)

SWOHTR

WKR
It’s a scam. Tried it on me. They might go as far as trying to call you, too.

I told them to **** all the way off and go to hell.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
I just wonder how it works if nothing ever pops up on your venmo app.

Do they just complain that they paid, give you their account and pressure you to refund the "business account deposit"?

MThuntr

WKR
I just wonder how it works if nothing ever pops up on your venmo app.

Do they just complain that they paid, give you their account and pressure you to refund the "business account deposit"?
They prey on inept people responding a one of millions of spam emails they send. If you don't respond it goes away. No offense to elder generations but Boomers are commonly the target. Not always being internet savvy they see these and are easily fooled into giving money or account access. It's social engineering.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
They prey on inept people responding a one of millions of spam emails they send. If you don't respond it goes away. No offense to elder generations but Boomers are commonly the target. Not always being internet savvy they see these and are easily fooled into giving money or account access. It's social engineering.
Yeah, this wasn't a random email. They responded to a Facebook marketplace ad and it developed into this venmo scam.

MThuntr

WKR
Facebook Marketplace is full of scammers too. The process is still the same. Often they also try to ask for "verification" using codes and links on your phone or in your case they got your email. Then gain access to your info. It's cash or nothing on Facebook (actually best to avoid anyone that you can visit with in person). When in doubt don't click the link or respond with your real info