Vernal UT Antlerless hunt

Hey Folks,

Looking for some advice on the South slope Buckskin hills-Jensen antlerless hunt in Vernal Utah. My brother and I have been out here for five days so far and running out of time fast. We have only found a couple lone elk on private mine property and a massive group on thunder ranch but we’ve covered a lot of miles in the truck and on foot already. We’re both veterans (both Navy FMF Corpsmen) and this is our first elk hunt together since we’ve been talking about it for about 20 years. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help, folks!IMG_3722.jpeg

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
I'm sure you've read this before, but just in case you haven't. This is from the UDWR hunt planner

General Information
This unit is a General Season hunt and has a considerable amount of hunting pressure. This hunt has many hunters and there are fewer elk compared to limited entry areas. This hunt was established to help during severe winters when elk come lower in the Valley and cause damage to hay stacks. Most of the elk on Taylor Mtn. when pressured flee to the large mine where there is no hunting. There are some areas that the elk will stay in that border the mine. Little Mtn. has a small resident elk herd, and hunters have had success hunting the top of it in the past. Road access is allowed on the majority of the unit.
Biologist Notes
There is a federally managed refuge called The Ouray National Wildlife Refuge. It is located south of Vernal and has the potential of holding elk during the winter months. The refuge has their own set of regulations and hunting areas. Contact them to answer any hunting questions http://www.fws.gov/refuge/ouray. There is a significant amount of private land in this hunt boundary. It can be difficult to obtain permission to hunt on these private lands. Please consider this before you apply for this hunt.

Migration Patterns: Elk on this unit migrate down in elevation during the winter and tend to stay on south facing slopes at lower elevation on the Forest Service lands. In harsh conditions the elk will pull off of these faces and come lower onto this hunt unit.

OP
S
Thanks for the post 257. I did read that when I drew the tag.

Time ran out and we headed back home yesterday. We had a great hunt and saw some awesome country. I would say overall the trip was a success. Cheers, fellas!