Vintage Burris 3-9x

I'm hoping someone knows about this scope. I can't seem to turn up anything relevant in my searches.

I have an older Ruger .243 wearing a Burris 3-9x. I suspect the gun and scope were purchased in the 1980s or possibly the early 90s. The scope has a one inch tube and a regular duplex reticle. As you increase magnification, the horizontal cross hair splits and an additional horizontal rises above the regular X-axis. It's supposed to be some sort of antiquated range estimator or BDC but I'm not quite sure how it works. The odd thing is, as you increase magnification and the cross hair splits, the upper horizontal seems to remain as the zero. This to me is at odds with the sticker on the objective end of the scope.

One sticker reads "Burris Fullfield Wide Angle HiLume Lenses 100% USA Made"

The other sticker reads "Burris ARC Scope Automatic Range Compensator. Crosshair is always at 200yd zero. Range Dot has adjustable zero 200-500yd.
****d does not affect Crosshair ****"

I'm hoping someone who remembers these can tell me exactly how it is supposed to work.

It's an odd design but a cool old scope.
803124152354d87c0c49ca1f27c552fe.jpg
4a7dc0c8f4764561564394a9dee56368.jpg
208120c4dfd14a94d41952dbf212054d.jpg

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Ktirao

FNG
IMG_2267.jpeg
Obviously this talks about a dot where as a cross hair splits but this was found on someone’s eBay post of the same scope

OP
LongWayAround
Hey thanks for bringing this up, I had forgotten to update it.

Awhile back I emailed Burris customer service and they provided me the PDF of your attachment. Send me a pm with your email and I'll send it to you, if you would like.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line I lost the removable rib that correlates range to magnification. A buddy of mine offered to machine me a new one but I haven't pursued it yet.

It feels counterintuitive holding that upper axis as zero when the reticle splits but it made much more sense reading the owners manual.