Vivo forest tracker esc durability

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have both the Tracker Forest Esc and the Magna Forest Esc? I have the Magnas and I'm curious if the sizing is exactly the same for both as I'd like to pick up the Trackers.

BBob

WKR
@Formidilosus thinking about pulling the trigger on them, no issues with heavy packs? Any issues on sharp, rocky ground? Thanks!
The boots will have no issues but as stated many times in this thread if you haven’t used shoes like these don’t expect to just jump in them and carry a heavy pack and or walk over sharp rocks and not have issues. Your feet will probably hurt in the beginning carrying a light pack around. They may even hurt in the beginning with no pack at all. There is virtually no cushioning in any of these shoes beyond a very thin cork insert so beware it might take a good long time to adapt.

OrangeHat

FNG
The boots will have no issues but as stated many times in this thread if you haven’t used shoes like these don’t expect to just jump in them and carry a heavy pack and or walk over sharp rocks and not have issues. Your feet will probably hurt in the beginning carrying a light pack around. They may even hurt in the beginning with no pack at all. There is virtually no cushioning in any of these shoes beyond a very thin cork insert so beware it might take a good long time to adapt.
Thank you! Yes, I do understand that there is a break-in period. I have had a couple pairs of Altras for a while now (I know they are not true barefoot) so lets say I am halfway broken in. I guess what I was interested in, was even if your feet are used to barefoot boots, do they provide enough support for those specific situations.. I have heard it both ways so I was trying to get more data.

BBob

WKR
There is no support in these boots, the support is your feet. Granted the ESC sole is thicker than the simple soles on a Gobi but they are still super flexible and don’t offer anything in support like a traditional boot. There is no shank, no plastic stiffeners no nothing other than the sole, some sort of thin bottom liner everything is stitched to and the thin piece of cork for an insole. I wear them on backpack hunts and everywhere else pack or no pack so yes they can be used for that if your feet will let you. I believe Formidilosis has stated he backpack hunts in them and has hauled loads of meat with them.

Last edited:
OP
H
I got mine in the mail tonight. They are awesome. The quality of the stitching looks great. Extremely comfortable and the fit, I think, is just right for comfort with regular merino socks and also thick winter merino socks.

I will have to figure out if I'm going to put a different waterproofer on them other than my obenaufs LP or in place of it.

OP
H
After reading more about the pros and cons of various leather conditioner/waterproofers, I'm thoroughly confused and undecided on what the hell to put on these boots.

BBob

WKR
I'm thoroughly confused and undecided on what the hell to put on these boots.
You’re probably way overthinking it :ROFLMAO:

They don’t need anything out of the box and mine went a good long time before I did anything. My Gobi’s had some Nikwax who knows how long ago and they are still going strong.

OP
H
You’re probably way overthinking it :ROFLMAO:

They don’t need anything out of the box and mine went a good long time before I did anything. My Gobi’s had some Nikwax who knows how long ago and they are still going strong.

Probably. I just got to reading about obenaufs LP and found that some of the high end boot mfg won't warranty boots that have had that applied because it apparently can cause the rubber rand to separate and cause the stitching to rot over time.

I just don't want to use something that could damage the stitching or glue, make the leather unbreathable, or be incompatible with a different waterproofer I may put on later.

I do tend to think quite a bit about the care of items like boots, down, and rain gear because the quality items are so expensive.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you! Yes, I do understand that there is a break-in period. I have had a couple pairs of Altras for a while now (I know they are not true barefoot) so lets say I am halfway broken in. I guess what I was interested in, was even if your feet are used to barefoot boots, do they provide enough support for those specific situations.. I have heard it both ways so I was trying to get more data.

They will allow you to do whatever your feet can handle. Given sufficient foot and leg strength and conditioning- they will do any standard backpack hunting task. I just hauled another elk out from a backpack hunt today with them, right at 3 miles.

If you're transitioning to minimalist shoes I'd suggest getting some Xeros for everyday wear. Doesn't really matter which ones, they're just so much cheaper and easier to find that the barrier to entry is way lower. They won't last as long as the vivos, and they don't look as nice, but for hitting the office or the gym they've worked really well for me. I've been wearing minimalist shoes for a long time and while I love the Forest Tracker ESC, it's not cheap, and elk hunting is not the first place is recommend switching to a barefoot style shoe.

BBob

WKR
One more piece of gear I’ve never heard of. If you ever post your gear list, it would be most appreciated.
Hestra very popular and fairly well known in the ski/snowboard realm especially for backcountry use. Giver is another. Kinco gets some noise but I don’t find them very warm compared to the others. My Kinco’s have been relegated to the truck box as backups.

woods89

WKR
Hestra very popular and fairly well known in the ski/snowboard realm especially for backcountry use. Giver is another. Kinco gets some noise but I don’t find them very warm compared to the others. My Kinco’s have been relegated to the truck box as backups.
If they're better than Kinco, I'm all ears!