Vivo forest tracker esc durability

ledflight

WKR
Did a few days in NY Appalachains this weekend in them. Some heel rubbing but overall good performance. No deep water crossings but stepped in some serious muck a few times. Had gaiters on, and the Renapur treated Vivos did fine. I think the tread is pretty good. Only time I wanted thicker sole was sometimes when climbing the sticks.

OP
H
Well my customer service experience was less than desirable and I ended up telling them I won't be ordering any more footwear from vivo given that experience.

I ordered mine through their Amazon storefront, which apparently includes both footwear sold by their own vivo seller account and other seller accounts. I didn't know that at the time of purchase and happened to get mine through a 3rd party seller. They refused to help out in any way because they said any warranty issue and customer contract is between me and the seller, additionally their warranty on the trackers covers only manufacturing defects for 6 months.

My thoughts on that are.... Are you #$!*ing kidding me? With a price tag of $270 from a company that is in a niche market, I'd expect good if not great customer service and backing of the quality of their products. Instead, it seems they hide behind their 3rd party purchase policy to avoid dealing with quality issues in addition to having an incredibly poor warranty period that doesn't appear to even be shown on their website.

Well, I'll get the most out of these pair that I can.

~80 miles in 9 days on the ESC's chasing Mule Deer in N. Central WA Sage-Steppe, outperformed any boot I've worn in the last 20 years.

Great idea to seal the rand and add some water proofing with the KG's Boot Guard, never heard of that product. Got some on order to apply in a similar manner, thanks for the great idea @sneek-ee !

Just a reminder from earlier in this thread (maybe it was in another one), the Vivo CS rep I spoke to said a Jungle version of the ESC was coming at some point, with more waterproof capabilities. Sounded like a liner similar to the FG Tracker.

+1 for their CS sucking in general though. I'm still of the opinion it's outsourced, oh well.

Grant76

FNG
So first trip for me and a buddy with these new boots. Put ~35 miles on them some tougher terrian and also a 6 mile pack out with each of us well over 100lbs. Most comfortable boot we both have used. Note that we both had been transitioning over the past year to this new no minimalists shoe/boot way when we could between work and home. It is the wayimage000000 (1).jpg

Can anyone recommend a shoe polish for these? Only downside to these boots for me have been the quick color wear around the edges and the top of the foot.

ledflight

WKR
I wore the Tacker ESCs on a hunt yesterday that started in the high 20s. I used a pair of fleece creepers with hand warmers in them and it made it tolerable on stand. Would not have been possible without these.

SouthPaw

WKR
Well my experiment with the KG bootguard on a late season hunt was a fail. I followed the instructions for application and felt the coats I applied were thick/adequate enough, but perhaps I did something wrong.

Post holing 9-20" deep crusty snow, rocks, cactus, and mud just seemed to tear it up. 1 heavy elk pack out and multiple deer pack outs. My feet never got wet, but I also did not encounter "wet" conditions on this hunt since it was freezing or dry most of the time.

The trackers are still the best footwear I've used for hunting, but I'm still looking for a solution for post-rain / wet vegetation when the trackers soak through after about an hour of hiking.

tracker esc nov23 2.jpg

tracker esc nov23.jpg

trackers nov23.jpg

BBob

WKR
So which cold climate person is going to buy and test? :)

fwafwow

WKR
I'm not in the right location, but I'm a baby when it comes to cold feet. If they have a sale soon, I'm in. And I may be selling some very lightly used Crispi boots....

ledflight

WKR
Not me unless some deal appears - I went for the Xero Alpine I linked above for $79 which have some good reviews from hiker users.

Dobermann

WKR
All of us.

sneek-ee

WKR

I already have 2 pairs of the old style from a couple years back. Assume they're the same pretty much besides color offerings.

They are much stiffer than the ESCs due to the rubber rand and felt lining on the inside. Not as comfy or flexible. They have a waterproof liner as well
I've begged them and wish they would make the esc with the same rubber rand around the bottom section of the shoe. It would be ideal to complete the esc's. I only wear my winter trackers a couple months a year. Wore them last week in Colorado chasing deer a couple of the colder days. But the rest of the time I just wore my Tracker ESCs cause they are more comfortable overall. The rubber rand would complete them.

I need to sell a pair of my winters, size 47 if anyone wants to try some out. I'll give them a deal. 20231201_213225.jpg20231201_213200.jpg

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
Been training my feet with Vivo’s for the past 9-ish months. Used the Tracker ESC on NM hunt in the Gila. First season hunting where I didn’t get blisters.

Had a fall on pretty steep scree field and “stretched” a ligament or tendon over my ankle on day 3. Contemplated whether ankle support wasn’t enough. Wore Crispi’s the next day. Missed wearing the Trackers, so went back to them on day 5.

Trackers ESC will be my go to boot going forward

IMG_1378.jpeg

sneek-ee

WKR
Well my experiment with the KG bootguard on a late season hunt was a fail. I followed the instructions for application and felt the coats I applied were thick/adequate enough, but perhaps I did something wrong.

Post holing 9-20" deep crusty snow, rocks, cactus, and mud just seemed to tear it up. 1 heavy elk pack out and multiple deer pack outs. My feet never got wet, but I also did not encounter "wet" conditions on this hunt since it was freezing or dry most of the time.

The trackers are still the best footwear I've used for hunting, but I'm still looking for a solution for post-rain / wet vegetation when the trackers soak through after about an hour of hiking.

View attachment 629118

View attachment 629119

View attachment 629120
Definitely way too thin or watered down.

I've had the KG boot guard on for 6 months now or so I'd bet. All through the fall hunts.
Just got back from a week in Colorado. Anywhere from 5-12 inches of snow and zero issues all week.

I just oiled them again last night after colorado deer and some wet weather bird hunting here a couple days this week.

Boots have been hammered but still going strong.

20231202_090605.jpg20231202_090622.jpg
20231202_090539.jpg

You guys have convinced me. Ordered some KG boot guard in brown. Might try to cardboard or tape a mask for application. Thinking one thinner application to "prime" it, then another thicker coat on top. Will follow similar upper line to examples above, and then extend down to the stitch line on outsole. Was also going to oil (Montana Pitch Blend) my boots but probably will give them a nice clean first, let dry, apply KG, then oil after drying.

sneek-ee

WKR
You guys have convinced me. Ordered some KG boot guard in brown. Might try to cardboard or tape a mask for application. Thinking one thinner application to "prime" it, then another thicker coat on top. Will follow similar upper line to examples above, and then extend down to the stitch line on outsole. Was also going to oil (Montana Pitch Blend) my boots but probably will give them a nice clean first, let dry, apply KG, then oil after drying.

It doesn't stick well to the rubber outsole. It'll peel off quick there. Too slick and smooth of surface, nothing to adhere to.