Vortex 16-48x65 Spotter Review, by Jordon Kauer

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Hey Roksliders,
I want you to meet Jordan Kauer. He's a member (spdrman) and spends a lot of time in the Idaho woods hunting and- by default- testing out some gear.

In this review, he gives us the goods on Votex's 16-48x but also compares it with it's bigger cousin, the 20-60x85 Vortex. I knew this might be interesting to those wondering if they should go big or go home. Here you go and give Jordan a big welcome.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/387-vortex-16-48x-65-spotter-review

Last edited:

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
How does this compare to the viper line of glass? Or the vanguard for the matter? Those are the other 2 I am considering...

spdrman

WKR
How does this compare to the viper line of glass? Or the vanguard for the matter? Those are the other 2 I am considering...

I've never seen a vangaurd in person so cant give an opinion on that one. I have several friends with the viper series and they are great spotters, price is about half of what the razor is and for the price point I think it would be a great option

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
I've never seen a vangaurd in person so cant give an opinion on that one. I have several friends with the viper series and they are great spotters, price is about half of what the razor is and for the price point I think it would be a great option

Went down to the local sportsmans warehouse this weekend. Just as the sun started going down, took a Swaro, Razor HD and Viper HD out to the parking lot. Salesman was telling me it was the same glass between the Viper and Razor and was just paying for a lighter body, looking through them I would disagree. Viper is good glass, but in the low light looking at a tree far away (800-1000 yards) I would see fine detail in the branches with the Razor, where as the Viper was a little fuzzy. The Swaro was a ATS 80 so had a unfair advantage, and def brought in way more light and was beyond clear... I wish I had the cash for one....

spdrman

WKR
Thanks duckhunter175, hasn't let me down yet either!

Novaman64 be nice if there was a way yo get them all in the mountaina and do a true side by side in the conditions we mainly use them in.

Johnboy

WKR
Robby, what tripod do you use and prefer for this scope? I'm considering purchase of this exact scope.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Johnboy
I wasn't the one who wrote the review but I'm currently running a big carbon swarovski tripod for glassing close to the pickup, a carbon vanguard for hiking around, and an old Leuopold compact for the backcountry. I use Manfrotto heads

Brock Akers has had good luck with the Slik 624 and Promaster XC525c. He wrote a good review here Backcountry Tripods: Slik 624 vs Promaster XC525C

Also, reach out to Jordan who authored this article. Send him a PM

spdrman

WKR
Johnboy, sent ya a PM, I'm using a Slik sprint mini ii with a panhead.

striker3

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to say thanks for the review. With the price drop on these now discontinued models they are in my price range, but I didn't know if I wanted the 65 or 80. When I hear about larger objectives letting you glass longer at dusk and dawn, I didn't realize we were talking about a few minutes only. Made the decision to pick the 65mm for the backcountry easier.

spdrman

WKR
Thanks striker3! Now would be a great time to buy the model that was reviewed here! Weight savings between the two made it easy to decide, the new model 65mm is 8oz heavier then this one. Hoping to have my hands on one soon to see if it's worth the extra weight

Jordan