Vortex razor compared to Swarovski line

stateguy

FNG
Guys I am looking for a 10x42 binoculars and wanted the nl pure was wondering how
the vortex uhd line compares to that. Or where does the razor Uhd compare to the Swarovski line

Maverick1

WKR
Guys I am looking for a 10x42 binoculars and wanted the nl pure was wondering how
the vortex uhd line compares to that. Or where does the razor Uhd compare to the Swarovski line
I believe this topic has been covered once or twice before; you can find the answer here.

Maverick1

WKR
First post, too. Well, Welcome to The Rok.

1664799081110-jpeg.459059

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’ve done some comparison threads.

While I agree swaros are better like many have mentioned…..I assume you already knew that.

Resolution on both will be similar in the center from my testing. They will have different color hues and what not and some will say that makes a big difference. I personally haven’t seen that it has but do agree the colors are a bit different (to the eyes of the user which colors are better). I’ve never been big on CA but folks do report the vortex has it worse.

To answer your question directly though, in my testing and experience the biggest difference is edge to edge clarity. The razor will lose visual acuity the last 20% or so of the edge (3-4 levels on a chart if I recall). The swaro does not or if it does very little (maybe one level). This means your FOV is different (larger useable) than the specs.

For me that is the largest difference. I’ve had 15 or so various binos from all the manufacturers now (exception to Leica…..not sure why) and I still have the Swaro ELs. They are better…..not 3x better though.

That said haven’t wondered about what bino I want next in a few years….NLs are getting close to being next on the list to mess with though.

Edit: I missed the UHD in the OP. UHDs have better edge to edge clarity than the basic razors. I personally didn’t like how big they were. Again haven’t had the NLs but personally thought they were pretty close for the ELs.

Last edited:

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I have both Razors and NL Pure, both in 10x42s

Not even close how much better the NLs are.

I have a buddy who has the 10x50 UHDs And we were in Montana elk hunting and I glassed up two muleys on distant peak. I was running my NLs and my buddy his UHDs.

I could easily tell it was a doe and fawn. My buddy could only tell they were deer. And said "You sure a doe and a fawn?"

We switched binos.

He pulls up the NLs and goes "Huh! You're right! Doe and a fawn. Doe has darker coat than the fawn, fawn still kinda red-ish. Damn these are nice optics!"

He didn't want to give the NLs back.

Now, they're 3x the cost, but they're stellar.

If I was just whitetail hunting in a stand, a pair I'd $200 Diamondbacks would work, but out west, buy the best you can afford.

NLs are the best glass on the planet. Period.

Gone4Days

WKR
If you don’t want to spend as much, grab a pair of 10x SLC HD’s used. Can find for 1,200-1,300

yea man, you are better off going with vortex diamondbacks to get you by if you can't swing legit glass at the moment. I had vortex everything when i started off and sold it all. now all I run is Swaro. Resale is also something to take into consideration. Swaro holds value quite well. Ive bought and sold over the years and have never taken a loss. I used to run the 10x42 SLC and now I have the NL pures. They are spectacular. I have no regrets buying them but they are expensive.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of binos in between uhds and nls. Specifically swaro slc, zeiss victory, leica noctovid, and swaro els are worth considering.
Not sure what you mean by "alot", but I would estimate the number falls between 5-10. In my view, the UHD's are far better optically than most people allow. As an optics dealer (not Vortex), alot of high end optics run through my hands and I routinely make field comparisons out to 1800 yards. While I have never directly compared UHD's to NL's, I have done several comparisons against non-HD SLC's and cannot tell a difference. The edge to edge clarity on the UHD's ranks with the best I have ever seen. Build quality is clearly inferior to Swarovski, Leica, or Zeiss. I agree with the argument to purchase used SLC's if the price is right.

Last edited:

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
you are better off going with vortex diamondbacks to get you by if you can't swing legit glass

Or go with something better than Diamondbacks in the meantime. Find a good deal and some mid range glass will hold value just fine. I bought a new discounted Razor spotter 4 years ago and just sold it for $100 more, then upgraded to a Kowa 554.

RussDXT

WKR
I had 10x42 razor compared it to the slc and was happy with the vortex, compared them to the nl pures and I ow run the nl’s.

I have not looked through UHD's much, but I have a few times. I have used Swaro SLC 10x42s for a few years now. As mentioned above, I think the best move if you are not wanting to spend more than $1500 is to pick up a pair of used SLC 10x42s. I bought mine new for less than that, but they do not make them anymore. I am dying to get a pair of NL's, but that might not happen this year, and I'd keep my SLC's regardless. I think the biggest difference you will notice will be edge to edge clarity and stellar low-light performance if you go the Swaro route. Plus, the compact size of the Swaro SLC's is appealing over a bulkier pair of Vortex's.

There is no doubt that the Swarovski NL Pure binoculars are an awesome set of optics. Well worth the $3369.00 price tag at Euro Optic (10x42) if you are a professional brown/polar bear, goats and sheep (including Europe & Asia) outfitter/guide or big-time serious trophy hunter. A PH in Africa might find them useful too. If you think you need them as part of you kit then get them. However, most hunters would be well served with the Vortex Razor UHDs (10x42) though. $1699.00 at Euro Optic. Apply your $1668.00 savings toward something else that you "need."

Jlt1313

FNG
I have the 12x50 UHD’s and tan them but I kept going back to my 10x42 NL Pures. For the money UHD’s are good to go but I like the ergonomics and glass on the NL Pures. I’m thinking on getting the sig sauer zulu6 20x42 just to ad an addition into my collection.