Vortex razors vs Maven’s?

I cant speak 10x razor hd’s but I owned the razor hd 12x’s and ended up selling them after demoing the maven b2 9x45’s. The mavens had a brighter more colorful image ( less flat or more 3d/realistic looking) and better depth of field. Also with the mavens i found myself not having to constantly focus them for glassing different objects on the same hillside. With the razors if i went from glassing the top of a ridge to the bottom i would have to re focus as i glassed. The mavens were almost where i could set the focus and forget about it. This is my experience with them mounted to my tripod. Hope that makes sense.

I would say best comparison would be the B1. I personally think the glass is comparable with the B series (others will disagree). The B1 is roughly same form factor. The B2 is a much larger bino and will let in more light and many will say is better than the razor. I compared the B2 9x45 to the Razor 10x42 a few months back and I personally thought they were pretty close as far as resolution and glass performance but I liked the razor better for ergonomics and weight.

That said, Mavens are great binos I ended up with some B3 8x30s.

The new UHD razors would be more comparable to the mavens. They have the same kind of prism and some people thing they’re made in the same factory.

I had a pair of razor HD 10x42 and have switched to maven b.2 11x45. Although they are bigger I am happy to haul them up the mountain to be more comfortable glassing and better quality.

I personally liked the Razor HDs over Maven B2s. Not a large enough difference in glass quality (at least to my eyes) to justify the significantly larger and heavier mavens. Not sure what it was, whether difference in the prism system used or what, but the mavens also made me feel like I was going cross eyed ( and yes, I do know how to use a diopter to adjust, still didn't make a difference).
Both really solid binos tho, both made in Japan, both similar price. Really seems like a personal preference thing to me.

Back