Vortex Viper 10x42 vs Maven c1

I just recently started whitetail hunting and I am looking to buy my first binoculars. I think I narrowed it down to these two. The vipers are going on sale at bass pro for 300 And the maven c1 appear to be 350. I am having trouble deciding which to buy. Any help would be appreciated and feel free to suggest any other binoculars. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
I like the Viper HD. It is a good optic, built well for a decent price and represents a category of optic where one can start to see a real difference from the "entry level" binos in my opinion. The $300 price is very good. The Maven C1 will be a little sharper, but narrower FOV. I kept the C1 due to being a little better and better pricing, but at $300, the Viper would be hard to beat. That is my thoughts anyway.

OP
N
I like the Viper HD. It is a good optic, built well for a decent price and represents a category of optic where one can start to see a real difference from the "entry level" binos in my opinion. The $300 price is very good. The Maven C1 will be a little sharper, but narrower FOV. I kept the C1 due to being a little better and better pricing, but at $300, the Viper would be hard to beat. That is my thoughts anyway.

Okay, I was thinking I would end up going with the vipers but wanted to see other peoples opinion before pulling the trigger. Do you have any other recommendations for this price range?

OP
N
I also forgot to mention but bass pro also has leupold bx-1 mckenzie hd 10x42 for 130. Would this be a better buy than the vipers

jalcon9

FNG
Viper HD 10x42s for $300 at BP? Says who?

Last year I bought Vortex Viper HD 10x42s and Leopold BX4 10x42s. I had them both for about a week and asked multiple people which they thought was sharper and brighter. Over consensus including myself was the vipers were better clarity and brightness. Less chromatic aberration as well.

ZackP

WKR
Vipers are pretty great for the price.
I preferred them over the C1 due to the FOV on the C1, although I liked the C1 image better.

I also preferred the open bridge and image better on the BX4 than both the Viper and C1.

Laramie

WKR
I LOVE my Vipers but haven't looked through the Mavens for comparison.

OP
N
Maven without any question BUT I wouls save my pennies and go with the next level.

Okay, can you tell me why you would choose the mavens? I’m just trying to figure out the pros and cons of both.

Firehawk

WKR
At regular pricing, the C1 is a better binocular in my opinion. At $300, that Viper is a heck of a good buy. That said, the C1 is still better, but the FOV is definitely narrower. If you can get past that, the C1 is a better bino.

The B1.2 is significantly better than either. In fact, if you don't mind a 30mm objective, the Maven B3 8x30 is absolutely brilliant. But you are in the price range of the Viper HD normal pricing.

Michael54

WKR
Kowa bdii are better than both in my opinion. Bigger field of view and crisper image.

I'd talk to Doug at Camerland about a Meopta in the price range.

I bought the Black Friday special Vortex Viper last year for dedicated truck glass and sent it back. Maybe it's the same glass, but the China version is certainly not the same build quality of the Japanese version that the Viper built it's reputation on.
As mentioned the Maven C1 has better resolution with a narrower fov. I think it has a better focus knob but cheap feeling eye cups.

Both are good choices for a new hunter. But if you could find a Nikon M7 or Meopta Meopro at a holiday sale price, I'd go for one of those.

ZackP

WKR
I'd talk to Doug at Camerland about a Meopta in the price range.

I bought the Black Friday special Vortex Viper last year for dedicated truck glass and sent it back. Maybe it's the same glass, but the China version is certainly not the same build quality of the Japanese version that the Viper built it's reputation on.
As mentioned the Maven C1 has better resolution with a narrower fov. I think it has a better focus knob but cheap feeling eye cups.

Both are good choices for a new hunter. But if you could find a Nikon M7 or Meopta Meopro at a holiday sale price, I'd go for one of those.

Viper’s are made in the Philippines as are the C1.

Also to the OP. Toss the Tract Toric UHD on the list if you can squeeze out some more pennies(I know, sometimes easier said than done) but you’ll be at $1000 level glass for much less.

If the Viper HD switched to Philippines that's probably an improvement and my comments above are dated. It looks like the model I was shipped is older than what they are selling now.

ZackP

WKR
If the Viper HD switched to Philippines that's probably an improvement and my comments above are dated. It looks like the model I was shipped is older than what they are selling now.

I’ve never looked through a MIC example of them, but the MIP version are pretty good!

I think the only MIC exceptions are some of the Nikon products.

Firehawk

WKR
The Viper I was comparing to the Mavens were a Japan model Viper HD I think. But it was a few years ago and I don't remember. My buddy owned them for a few years prior to that. He runs a higher end bino now as do I.

rbi2210

FNG
I was about to start a thread before I came across this one. I also received an email with a flyer for the Black Friday sale at Cabela’s and was eying up the Viper 10X42 HD Gen 1 for $300. I’m in the market for a mid level $500ish pair of binos to upgrade from my 12 year old 8X42 Diamondbacks. I’ve read several threads comparing all different ones in this price range. If it wasn’t for the FOV I would definitely go with the Maven C1 and not look back. I notice the difference in FOV going from 8X to 10X in the same brand as I have tried 10X42 Diamondbacks. So I know that I would dislike the narrower FOV C1 in 10X. I’m confused now as to whether I should pull the trigger on these $300 Vipers or if I’m not going to find them much of an upgrade to my current diamondbacks.

ZackP

WKR
I was about to start a thread before I came across this one. I also received an email with a flyer for the Black Friday sale at Cabela’s and was eying up the Viper 10X42 HD Gen 1 for $300. I’m in the market for a mid level $500ish pair of binos to upgrade from my 12 year old 8X42 Diamondbacks. I’ve read several threads comparing all different ones in this price range. If it wasn’t for the FOV I would definitely go with the Maven C1 and not look back. I notice the difference in FOV going from 8X to 10X in the same brand as I have tried 10X42 Diamondbacks. So I know that I would dislike the narrower FOV C1 in 10X. I’m confused now as to whether I should pull the trigger on these $300 Vipers or if I’m not going to find them much of an upgrade to my current diamondbacks.

$300 for the Vipers is a steal. They’re definitely an upgrade over your DB in every way.