Vortex Viper 10x42 vs Maven c1

The old specification pair is 319 fov, not 314 so it would be a really tough mistype to imagine.

There's a thread dedicated to this sale pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 binoculars.

I have been in contact with Vortex after receiving my pair with some very specific questions with respect to the packaging they come in, what the ad print says, what you get when you walk into a Bass Pro or Cabela's, etc.

rbi2210

FNG
The old specification pair is 319 fov, not 314 so it would be a really tough mistype to imagine.

There's a thread dedicated to this sale pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 binoculars.

I have been in contact with Vortex after receiving my pair with some very specific questions with respect to the packaging they come in, what the ad print says, what you get when you walk into a Bass Pro or Cabela's, etc.
My bad. The Maven C1 was 314 FOV. I’ve read so many threads and done so much research my head is spinning. This model Viper is VPR-4210-HD. If you look at the specs anywhere online the FOV is listed at 319 but the box says 341. Something is not right here. Can you please share your questions and responses from Vortex?

No worries, no time or place like the present to keep good discussion going. I dug deeper into the two pairs of sale binoculars I have purchased.

First pair last November, box says 341' fov however on the bottom of the box it says made in China, as do the binocs. Second pair I received a couple days ago, box says 341' FOV and on the box bottom it says made in Philippines, as do the binocs.

Vortex representative told me yesterday to his knowledge there has never been aware of a pair with 319' FOV made in the Philippines. 319' fov were all from the previous factory in China (2018 and earlier). However to be clear, he told me a year ago that Cabela's had commissioned Vortex to make last year sale models in the old China factory to the previous generation specifications. Again that was specifically for the sale.

It comes down to what would you get if you walked into Bass Pro or Cabela's and told them you didn't want the pair that was on sale, you wanted the regularly priced model. What would they give you? I bet a dollar that they don't know a way to keep the different pairs separate, or more interestingly, is there such a thing as a 341' FOV pair of binoculars that a customer could discern from the 319' FOV version if they were handed a pair from behind the counter in a box. I've heard the newer versions come with the glass pack which is the binocular harness and holder can anyone confirm or deny that?

I've heard that as well about the cosmetic differences. It's not a huge deal as the binoculars are advertised as the older spec version.

rbi2210

FNG
35WhelenAl, I just read through the other thread that you referenced before reading your last post in this thread.

To clarify, are you saying that the current sale model was made in the Philippines plant but to the same specs as the previous sale model that was made in the China plant?

Also thank you for all the information you have provided. At this point, I (and I’m sure others too) want to get to the bottom of this. I do think it is complete bull$hit if Vortex is selling a 319’ FOV binocular in a box that says 341’ FOV even though I probably could not tell the difference.

You summed it up perfectly. The specs Cabela's and Bass Pro list for the current sale binoculars made in the Philippines is 319' FOV. You have to dig for it but you can find it in the literature. However both the current sale binoculars and last year sale binoculars come in a box that says 341'. The sale version I got last year when this came out for the first time was in a box that said 341' FOV and the box as well as binoculars said made in China. The current sale binoculars I just got say made in Philippines on the same 341' FOV box and the binoculars say made in the Philippines. I am serious, the only difference in the boxes is one does say made in China in small print on the bottom of the other says made in Philippines in small print on the bottom.

It's been a couple days and I haven't heard back from the Vortex rep, this can easily become a mess with thousands of pairs of these binoculars being sold...

GMiller

FNG
$300 for the Vipers is a steal. They’re definitely an upgrade over your DB in every way.
I have to agree. Picked up my 10x42 Vipers from Bass Pro for $300. Big upgrade from the lower level lines and hard to beat for the price.

WBrim

WKR
I about picked up a pair of used mavens for 250$, so I’ve been reading lots of reviews. It seems majority of forum reviews/discussions claim the mavens are better. On the other hand, the majority of individual reviews (such as articles) seem to favor the vipers.

WBrim

WKR
I have a set of vipers, and figured may as well keep going with what I’ve got, but I am regretting it a bit.

Superdoo

WKR
I bought both and put them side by side. My pairs were optically indistinguishable from each other. The Vipers seemed more comfortable and easier for my eyes to use, so I went with them.

WBrim

WKR
I bought both and put them side by side. My pairs were optically indistinguishable from each other. The Vipers seemed more comfortable and easier for my eyes to use, so I went with them.
I like hearing that. I like my vipers, but it helps hearing people who did a real time comparison pick them!

Four pairs of Vipers in the family, 2 pairs 10x42, 1 pr 10x50 and 1 pr 12x50. No complaints. Been able to glass pronghorn on the plains at first sign of light, elk as light was past waning and deer on hillsides as light was dim to say the least.

As has been said, not a fair comparison to the Diamondback line as I have tried 12x50's in both, Vipers are much better in all aspects of image and light transmission.

With respect to Maven, the B2 lineup with the unique 9 and 11 power ratings are identical to Sig Sauer Kilo 9, and are the same binocular. Trying to understand the draw and claim of Maven being "direct to the consumer".

Maven on Amazon: "Elite performance, Direct prices". If their prices are direct, sure doesn't seem it comparing to the Zulu 9 at the same price or less for the Zulu some places.