Vote for the Best High End Hunting Apparel

Best hunting apparel brand

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I did this sort of poll with the packs and really liked the turn out and responses so figured we could try it with clothing brands also. I know the list of hunting clothing manufacturers goes on forever but I just have the three listed that are top end in the industry of the backcountry hunting world. If you think another brand should be in the running then leave a comment. Everyone uses something different but I think these three brands are the best in the business and most popular which I figured would get the most participation. Thanks guys.

This is not a viable experiment. You really should take a best-in-slot approach because these brands shine in some places and falter in others. Anyone that has determined one brand to rule them all is purely fanboying.

Where they excel IMO:

First lite - merino, whitetail line
Kuiu - active insulation and synthetic base layers
Stone glacier - down products
Sitka - softshell and wind stopper, whitetail line

Everything else (pants, fleece/midlayers) are personal and fit preference.

I know it would be nice and simple if one brand was a consensus best but unfortunately you have to do your own research to first determine what you actually need (if you fail here it doesn’t matter who makes it) and then determine who makes the best version of that item considering performance, fit, durability, etc.

weaver

WKR
I never pay full retail but I think Sitka has the best lineup top to bottom especially with their whitetail stuff. I certainly don't limit myself to any one brand though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I mix brands depending upon which garment works best for the particular use and weather conditions.

My preference is Sitka and Kuiu especially for raingear. I just switched from Sitka to Kuiu for pants. Kuiu pants fit me a lot better in the crotch area. I like Sitka Fanatic vest due to the quiet material, nice insulation, and pocket/pouch. I really like Cabelas microtech shirts because they wear like iron and dry fast.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my hunting clothing is a diverse, eclectic combination with both Sitka and Kuiu represented, but also Patagonia, Outdoor Research and others

I think it would be pretty tough for one company to have the "best" from top to bottom; much better imo to cherry pick the very best stuff from all companies

300wmxcr2

FNG
Have mostly Sitka but will use what ever is best for the intended purpose, ie. rain, snow, wind etc. I base every purchase on Ratings, Price and Warranty

Arc'teryx

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Exactly man. The hunting lines do not provide good value and have cq issues way more often than Arc, OR, TNF, etc.

People would save a fortune buying non hunting brands. And before we get a flood of but they donate some money to conservation but they’ll save us from non hunter agendas, I would say that I don’t think hunting clothing companies will be the savior and I’d recommend that you donate directly to the conservation agencies like RMEF for more bet benefit to conservation.

^ Yep. these high end mountaineering brands have been dealing with surviving in harsh environments a long long time. The only brand that I would say might be different is Sitka, due to their relationship with Gore. I really don't buy into the camo hype as much as I used to... and just use a leafy suit when I feel the need to wear it.

ZuluBravo

WKR
I own at least one piece of clothing from each brand. More based off features than a specific brand name or a camo pattern. A lot of my “hunting” clothing is solid colored clothing that works well in whatever environment I am hunting in.

Huntfun

FNG
I still prefer ASAT camo pattern over all others so I have a lot of First Lite from when they offered ASAT. First Lite makes good stuff but may not be the best in certain areas compared to other hunting lines, I know, ASAT has been around a long time and is not techy or fancy but it flat out works great for me. I too have been moving toward buying in non-camo natural colors from high quality non-hunting lines like Mammot, Arc'teryx, etc. The non-hunting lines do not build for quietness so you have to be careful what you get.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
Does Sitka Gear go on sale?

At our sportsman’s show last year sportco had Sitka 40% off. I picked up a Jacket, some light pants and an insulating jacket all for a great price. With the exception of my Kuiu attacks, I’ve bought all my high end hunting clothes at big sales like that one.