VOTE: Maven's Next Scope

What scopes (choose 2 max) should Maven bring to market next?

• RSS6.X - Fixed Six, SHR-Mil, exp. elevation, side focus, $500, < 17 oz.

• RSS3.9 - 3-9x40ish, FFP, SHR-Mil, exp. elev., fixed parallax, $700, < 20 oz.

• RS2.2 - 2-10x40ish, SFP, SHR-Mil, optional capped or exp. elev., side focus, $800, < 21 oz.

• RS2.2 - 2.5-10x40ish, FFP, SHR-Mil Illum., exp. elev., side focus, $1000, < 23 oz.

• RS6.1 - 1-6x24ish, SFP, SHR Mil Illum., capped elev., fixed parallax, $800, < 19 oz.

• RS8.1 - 1-8x28ish, FFP, 34mm tube, SHR Mil Illum., opt. cap or exp. elev., fix prlx, $1500, < 24 oz.

• RS2.2DA - 2.5-10x40, FFP, SHR-Mil, capped elev., fixed parallax, $750, < 15 oz.

• RS3.4c - 3-12x44, capped elev. w/ ZS, FFP, THLR, $1400, < 21 oz.

• RS3.9THLR - 3-9x40, FFP, THLR, exp. elev., fixed prlx, $800, < 20 oz.

Results are only viewable after voting.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, right off the bat, I am not affiliated with Maven in any way other than being a happy RS1.2 customer that's hungry for more of the same performance in different configurations and price points. Seeking to bring attention to the demand that I suspect exists currently within the 'Slide community for 'drop test/field eval.' passing scopes that are simple, reliable, and don't break the bank... especially considering the unknown and indefinite backorder situation with SWFA.

So I figured, heck, let's put up a poll... if you could only pick 2. (naming conventions are totally made up btw)

For the sake of this vote, let's say all of their reticles are possible, but the SHR-Mil (matched with .1 mil adjustments) is the bee's knees and we want more.
To further simplify let's say all options (unless otherwise noted) are 30mm tube, zero stop(when exposed elev turret), capped windage, reticle sub-tensions optimized for magnification range, no illumination unless noted, and made as light as possible while still passing the Rifle Scope Field Evaluation criteria. I threw up some max approx. weights and MSRP to target just because that helps refine a choice sometimes and ends up a top consideration/condition after reliability/performance. For the FFP LPVO option, assume some reasonable segmented circle at 5 mil radius to help aiming point visibility at 1x-2.5x.

Please let's not turn this into an argument about the Field Evaluation criteria or what other scopes suck and don't suck, etc. etc. There's at least 3 other threads where that's going on right now even though that's not the OP/thread starter topic.

Thanks in advance for your polite and constructive input!

OP
W

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Just for the sake of discussion, if the poll said you could only pick one... what would it be?

For me it'd be hard choice between the imaginary RSS6.X and the RSS3.9... but I think I'd have to say the fixed six just to have as slim, trim, budget friendly, and simple 'go to' option as possible to offset the bells and whistles (and size/weight) of the RS1.2. In reality I'd probably add several of these to my collection over time though if they existed, starting with the 3-9.

OP
W

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
How about a bomb proof reliable 14 oz point and shoot 2.5-10 with capped turrets and a decent reticle in FFP.

That's something that doesn't really exist yet. I think there's a good market for that scope
I love that idea as well, matches my preferences for quite a few guns too. I wonder if a scope with those features can be made that light and pass the field eval.?
I'll see if I can add to the poll!

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only human who doesn’t use illumination in a hunting scope? It’s a feature that adds weight and price that I never ever use. I feel like manufacturers add it as feature just for shits.

OP
W

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only human who doesn’t use illumination in a hunting scope? It’s a feature that adds weight and price that I never ever use. I feel like manufacturers add it as feature just for shits.
I agree, 99% of the time don't have need nor want for it, would rather save the money and weight, just put it on some of these models (only if it mentioned in the description) to see what sort of discussion we'd churn up.

Appreciate all the feedback on the poll so far, love this place.

OP
W

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
How about a bomb proof reliable 14 oz point and shoot 2.5-10 with capped turrets and a decent reticle in FFP.

That's something that doesn't really exist yet. I think there's a good market for that scope
added to the poll if you want to change your vote

OP
W

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
All I want is FFP and the THLR reticle.

Done.
How about THLR in the simple straight forward 3-9 package?
First 3 people to contribute to the discussion get to add an option to the poll.
Since you're #2, I'll tuck it in there next to Dioni A's idea if you like the 3-9 with fixed parallax and exposed elev.?

OP
W

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
To be honest the 2-10 and 3-9 are so similar I would be happy with either option. I think a ffp mil 3 or 4-12x44 would also be a happy spot for a lot of folks.
I see 4cMuley (#3 contributor to conversation, so last one to get to add a poll option) thumbs upped this, so what do ya say @4cMuley, should I add a 3-12x44 to the mix in your honor? How would you spec it out? Simple and minimalist capped FFP, or some bells and whistles like zero stop exposed elevation and etc.?

Matt5266

WKR
Same. Never use it and definitely could do without it. I'd happily shave a couple ounces off and not have it

Sled

WKR
3-15
SFP
capped windage
Zero stop
Locking elevation turret
22 ounces max
I could skip illumination to hit weight

Tract makes that. I've been happy with mine but would swap it out for something that had a better durability record if it presented itself.

TxLite

WKR
I see 4cMuley (#3 contributor to conversation, so last one to get to add a poll option) thumbs upped this, so what do ya say @4cMuley, should I add a 3-12x44 to the mix in your honor? How would you spec it out? Simple and minimalist capped FFP, or some bells and whistles like zero stop exposed elevation and etc.?
Capped windage, side parallax, exposed elevation, zero stop, don’t care about illum or not illum, 21oz or less

OP
W

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Add MOA to the mix.
Yep, roger that, I'm sure if we nailed down the package it should sit in, and the stars aligned etc. Maven wouldn't ignore those of us that prefer MOA in said package. Relatively simple for them to have both options (I think, since they do it alot now) and would help them sell more.
If you vote just pretend it has your favorite Maven MOA reticle and adjusters? Listing all the options is a bit daunting and the guy who makes the thread gets to fix at least one variable to suit his preferences ;)

Thanks for adding to the conversation too, I don't want to leave out MOA peeps, just want more awesome scopes that are a good value.