Wall tent guidance

sneaky

"DADDY"
Gents-

Next year our group will be larger and we are going to basecamp hunt instead of bivvy. Having never used a large canvas tent, some help will be appreciated.

5/6 guys
We want a stove
Idaho/MT rifle (we usually see snow)

Truck/trailer will be used for some gear storage

I’d like some suggestions on tent brand/size and stove setups and pros and cons

Thanks in advance-
Where you located? Thinking about downsizing from my 16x20 Davis tent setup because I haven't used it in a couple of years. Got suckered into footing the bill for it and everyone was gonna chip in. Yeah right lol. Three windows, screen door, internal frame with angles. Those same guys that wanted to chip in haven't hunted with me since 2017. Always an excuse. I've got a Colorado cylinder stove Timberline for it as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
It does vary..... Never needed more than one elbow at the stove. And a pipe 'T' at the end, vertical, will help draw and eliminate backdrafts on endwall jacks. And the best part? Never a burnhole in the roof with a wall jack. And the roof is easier to tarp...... And screw floors. I refuse to take my boots off everytime I enter. And hate sweeping/cleaning floors, or taking the time to even put one in, no matter what kind. A carpet scrap next to the cot to stand on to dress, is the most I'll do.

Does the ‘T’ trick really work? I have a 10x12 with a wall jack and I’m really tired of getting smoked out. I’m just about to have a roof jack cut in due to this. I have tried using a single 45, two 45s, no difference.

449B83B9-D9FC-47B8-A627-47AA9FB63B61.jpeg

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It's not quite a wall tent but you might want to look into Alaska Tent and Tarp's Arctic Oven. Their tents sizes range from 8'x8' to 12'x24'. I have their 10'x10' and a hunting buddy has a 12'x12'. These are quality tents and I recommend them highly.

Arctic Oven

You ought to like them, did you have to take out a 2nd mortgage to get one?

sneaky

"DADDY"
No offense intended, just seemed a little pricey when I went to the website. Why are they so pricey versus a dozen other manufacturers of similar designs.
I think the price is because they don't fall apart in Alaska weather. They are a proven tent system.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I understand that they are made better, just wish that their website would talk about the materials used to help me understand why they are better. I mean it is either design, construction or materials that is the difference in tents. Users are a source for the information about the quality of tent construction and design. Users can also speak to the materials but having the specs. would be easy enough I would think and easier to compare. I can see the design and read reviews for myself which are helpful even if they are subjective. But materials used in construction is not subjective and reliable information. Sorry I got carried away.

yhc

WKR
No offense intended, just seemed a little pricey when I went to the website. Why are they so pricey versus a dozen other manufacturers of similar designs.

No worries Firehole Hunter. No offense taken whatsoever.

Not sure whether you have read this on their website but it explains some of their tech specs.

Arctic Oven tech specs

Due to their double layer design with Vapex material lining, it's essentially condensation free (in the inner layer) and with a heat source, it warms right up. Even when the weather is foul outside and you get soaked, you can be confident that your gear will dry overnight...a little bit of heat goes a long ways.

Regards,

yhc

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I also have a 14x16 Davis that I use for 2-3 guys and it fits the bill perfectly. If I were looking for a tent for 5-6 guys I'd consider getting 2 smaller tents (10x12 or 12x14). If you ever decide to do a trip with just a couple guys it will be much easier to pack and set up than a huge 16x20 for just a couple guys. Plus when you're all on a trip together you can pick the tent without the guy that snores.

tsm213

FNG
Another option is to look into an insulated model. Not sure how cold it is where your at. A fella I work with had one worked very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I also have a 14x16 Davis that I use for 2-3 guys and it fits the bill perfectly. If I were looking for a tent for 5-6 guys I'd consider getting 2 smaller tents (10x12 or 12x14). If you ever decide to do a trip with just a couple guys it will be much easier to pack and set up than a huge 16x20 for just a couple guys. Plus when you're all on a trip together you can pick the tent without the guy that snores.
Ha. Then you have one guy with a tent all by himself and everyone else piled into the other one