Wall Tent Question

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
After figuring out the stove jack in the side wall was terrible, I had a local shop put it through the roof. As stated above dry your tent every time I baught a tarp online that’s heavy clear with nylon cordage in it and grommets. Set it up stretched the tarp over cut the stove jack hole 4 inches wider . They also sell bungee cords that keep it secured in the worst snow and wind around $100 works great. Have had it 28 years and use it multiple times per year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Generally, a wall tent is SHORTER, not longer, than the stated length, due to doubling the seams while sewing. Just saying......
I have two 14x16 Davis tents currently, and sold another one about 10 years ago. All three are longer than 16 feet, but no longer than 16.5 feet.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the replies and the couple of PMs I've received. I've spent probably 30 nights over the last few years in a wall tent that my buddy had. It is the 16 X 20 Davis. Anywhere from 6 guys down to 3, Colorado 3rd season and 7 days of nasty Montana weather. It was cozy, especially since he insists on getting up to keep the fire going :) . Both brands seem good. I like the gromets on the Davis and being local, I'm struggling to see much added value in WTS. A little cheaper, but somewhat negligible. First world problems I guess. I'm certainly not rich, but this may be a long term investment.

Now to maybe even more controversial questions. :)

The tent would be just my wife and I 60% of the time, add in son 20%, son and buddy 10%, and me solo probably 10%. I may have an opportunity at a 12 X 14' Davis, traditional pole setup, with stove, for $1K. I'm a bit worried about size. Anyone ever fit 4 adults in a 12 X 14? I know it wouldn't be ideal for a long period, but for 4 nights or so with cots and stove?

My other thing is I'd really like an internal frame to get rid of the pole in the middle. Anyone set up an internal frame solo, in particular a 14 X 16? If I buy new I'm probably going this route from a size perspective.
For $1K go with the used 12x14. You can always buy a cook shack later (12x10), that can be added on to the front of your tent for more space. With that combo you have setups that work for 4 people down to 1 person. Below is a YouTube video I made by myself setting up a 14x16 by myself in my old backyard. Nothing professional, but might give you a decent idea.

Oregon Steeler, you can have a Stove jack added to the roof of your tent and the existing covered with a velcroed patch? You are in portland? Bravo tents in Camas can do it pretty easy and reasonable.
I am in Portland and will give them a call. I just wonder if they will work on a tent that isn't theirs?

Thank you!

Anyone set up an internal frame solo, in particular a 14 X 16? If I buy new I'm probably going this route from a size perspective.
Takes me 45min to setup by myself. If you go 14x16 get the couplers for your rafters...That way all you pole bags are the same size..easier to pack/stack.

sndmn11

WKR
No, I never worked for Davis tent like he has.

Width is pretty close but I don't think I've ever actually measured it like I have the length. I've put two 8 foot tables against one wall before with some room to spare.

Width should be +/- 3" for a Davis Tent. The same range would typically hold true for length, other than the 12x14, which is now called a 12x15. Those were closer to 15' because the panels are 5' +/- 1" in width. Three panels are laid next to each other to be seamed and you lose about an inch and a half I'm the two seams.

Respective to Davis Tents, in other sizes like a 14x16 for instance, one 5' wide panel would be cut into quarters (~1' 3" wide) to add to the above three full width panels to get a finished length around 16'.

@Back Country Hunter 2 has worked there since '18/19 winter I think. He could probably explain the verbage change to 12x15, and why 14x16 is now a 14x15.

Width should be +/- 3" for a Davis Tent. The same range would typically hold true for length, other than the 12x14, which is now called a 12x15. Those were closer to 15' because the panels are 5' +/- 1" in width. Three panels are laid next to each other to be seamed and you lose about an inch and a half I'm the two seams.

Respective to Davis Tents, in other sizes like a 14x16 for instance, one 5' wide panel would be cut into quarters (~1' 3" wide) to add to the above three full width panels to get a finished length around 16'.

@Back Country Hunter 2 has worked there since '18/19 winter I think. He could probably explain the verbage change to 12x15, and why 14x16 is now a 14x15.
I shot and edited a YouTube video explaining the change.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I looked off and on and finally scored a killer deal on a circa mid-90's Davis Tent, stove, traditional poles. Tent is in good shape, three pinholes in roof and one small 1" cut lower on a side wall. Nothing that can't be fixed up. All for the same price as it would have cost to buy just a new cylinder stove, and the one that came with it is in great shape.

Only question I have for you pros (I've watched videos but it isn't explicitly stated). During setup, are you just staking and setting the corners poles before raising the ridge. Or, are you staking all wall holes but only setting the corner poles? I think it is the former but want to be sure. I've set them up before but always was just helping a buddy and didn't pay attention to that sequence.

First setup in my backyard this morning took a while and I made some errors, but it will get quicker (and more square :) )