Wall Tent Question

It has a sidewall stove jack
It's such a pain in the ass with the stove pipes having to do 90 degrees to get out and then to go up. The weight of the pipes makes is susceptible to the pipe coming out of the stove or getting knocked off by wind. It's also a LOT harder to draft correctly and is a finicky bit%h.

Under optimal conditions, there's not much issue with sidewall stove jack, but if you're camping more than 2-3 days, there's going be either a storm, wind, rain, snow, etc, that's going to screw with your stove and pipes.
Sounds to me like a lot of your problems with the wall jack are self induced....... A pinned adjustable elbow fastened to the stove so it can't pull out, with a steeply angled pipe, does away with the funky, draft-killing horizontal run and worries about pipe 'coming out'. But having a few sheet metal screws and a screwdriver, and maybe a chunk of tie wire on hand, is beyond many.

IMG_1902.jpg

HPIM3161reduced.jpg

But then again, I've probably spent more time in a wall tent than anybody here, and kinda know what works by now....

Sounds to me like a lot of your problems with the wall jack are self induced....... A pinned adjustable elbow fastened to the stove so it can't pull out, with a steeply angled pipe, does away with the funky, draft-killing horizontal run and worries about pipe 'coming out'. But having a few sheet metal screws and a screwdriver, and maybe a chunk of tie wire on hand, is beyond many.

IMG_1902.jpg

HPIM3161reduced.jpg

But then again, I've probably spent more time in a wall tent than anybody here, and kinda know what works by now....
At first, yes a lot of issues were my fault. But a lot of issues are also with it being a sidewall jack. I also have screws, wire, drill, extra parts, etc.... it's a PITA! My wall jack is also located much lower on the wall compared to yours so that steep angle doesn't work with mine. I've tried it couple of times and always had issues. Pulls the pipe right out of stove when windy and not screwed in.

It's sure a lot of fun when a big wind gust pulls out your pipe and all of a sudden, the tent is filled with smoke and fire coming out of the top...

To the OP, you're going to have opinions on both wall or roof jack. In my opinion I would stay far away from a side jack. I know I am for my next tent.

Both our Davis Tents have roof jacks and we have never had an issue with burn holes. Draws amazing and wouldn’t do it any other way

hunterjmj

WKR
I run a roof jack and don't have issues with burn holes. My dad just used a cap and would get a few pin size burn holes but that was on the rain fly. I use a sparkler arrestor and it seems to do the trick.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve had both a side wall and roof jacks. Much prefer a roof jack. Never had any burn holes and better draft.

I even use a straight jack on my tipi. No burn holes

Spark arresters are your friend

1DBF1624-8EDA-4639-BA8D-A3CDD0D96A4B.jpeg

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider

IMG_1902.jpg

HPIM3161reduced.jpg

I use my stove/pipe in the exact same setup and I've had no issues as well.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Davis tent here for quite a few years. Stove jack out the roof and no burn hole issues from floating embers. Make sure you consider how you plan to transport the pipe. Angled pieces take space and need something to prevent getting crushed. Straight pipe out the top will likely nest on itself and fit inside the stove neatly and securely.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep, you'll never get a burnhole on the roof of the tent (and it's easier to tarp) with an endwall stovejack......
You'll never get the same draft on your stovepipe either going out a side or end wall. Still need the top of the pipe over the ridgeline of the tent for the best draw. That still means you can get embers just the same depending on wind direction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"

IMG_1902.jpg

HPIM3161reduced.jpg

Passive aggressive seems to be your forte as well. He gave his experience, and it didn't jive with yours. Your setup looks like it won't draft worth a damn.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the replies and the couple of PMs I've received. I've spent probably 30 nights over the last few years in a wall tent that my buddy had. It is the 16 X 20 Davis. Anywhere from 6 guys down to 3, Colorado 3rd season and 7 days of nasty Montana weather. It was cozy, especially since he insists on getting up to keep the fire going :) . Both brands seem good. I like the gromets on the Davis and being local, I'm struggling to see much added value in WTS. A little cheaper, but somewhat negligible. First world problems I guess. I'm certainly not rich, but this may be a long term investment.

Now to maybe even more controversial questions. :)

The tent would be just my wife and I 60% of the time, add in son 20%, son and buddy 10%, and me solo probably 10%. I may have an opportunity at a 12 X 14' Davis, traditional pole setup, with stove, for $1K. I'm a bit worried about size. Anyone ever fit 4 adults in a 12 X 14? I know it wouldn't be ideal for a long period, but for 4 nights or so with cots and stove?

My other thing is I'd really like an internal frame to get rid of the pole in the middle. Anyone set up an internal frame solo, in particular a 14 X 16? If I buy new I'm probably going this route from a size perspective.

hunterjmj

WKR
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all the replies and the couple of PMs I've received. I've spent probably 30 nights over the last few years in a wall tent that my buddy had. It is the 16 X 20 Davis. Anywhere from 6 guys down to 3, Colorado 3rd season and 7 days of nasty Montana weather. It was cozy, especially since he insists on getting up to keep the fire going :) . Both brands seem good. I like the gromets on the Davis and being local, I'm struggling to see much added value in WTS. A little cheaper, but somewhat negligible. First world problems I guess. I'm certainly not rich, but this may be a long term investment.

Now to maybe even more controversial questions. :)

The tent would be just my wife and I 60% of the time, add in son 20%, son and buddy 10%, and me solo probably 10%. I may have an opportunity at a 12 X 14' Davis, traditional pole setup, with stove, for $1K. I'm a bit worried about size. Anyone ever fit 4 adults in a 12 X 14? I know it wouldn't be ideal for a long period, but for 4 nights or so with cots and stove?

My other thing is I'd really like an internal frame to get rid of the pole in the middle. Anyone set up an internal frame solo, in particular a 14 X 16? If I buy new I'm probably going this route from a size perspective.
I've set my internal frame up by myself many times. My tent is 14x19 and I will say with 5 dudes it's way to crowded if you don't have another tent for cooking. Last year we had 5 guys in my tent so we brought another 12x14 wall tent for gear, stove and a cooking setup. We normally hunt with 3 dudes which is just right to have a cooking setup and a small table.
When I was a kid we'd cut trees for the external tent frame and it was a pain.FE1A6294-8B31-4F6F-947A-25C79FE07DD0.jpeg

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR

My other thing is I'd really like an internal frame to get rid of the pole in the middle.

The internal frame is a very far second place. Tpoles are stronger, setup easier, pack shorter and lighter, handles snow far better. Internal frames are fool's gold and only popular because a set of angles can get marked up 10x their cost.

A 12x14 should be 14'6" to 14'9" in length. That means you can sleep two 7' cots on the wall opposite the jack, then one back center, and one back corner on the jack side. That would leave you a tiny path between the three cots in the back half. It's a good three cot tent, and doable with four but far from ideal.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
The internal frame is a very far second place. Tpoles are stronger, setup easier, pack shorter and lighter, handles snow far better. Internal frames are fool's gold and only popular because a set of angles can get marked up 10x their cost.

A 12x14 should be 14'6" to 14'9" in length. That means you can sleep two 7' cots on the wall opposite the jack, then one back center, and one back corner on the jack side. That would leave you a tiny path between the three cots in the back half. It's a good three cot tent, and doable with four but far from ideal.
Thanks, @sndmn11 . Always appreciate your perspective. For 4 cots we'd likely have two together for my wife and I. I know 4 would be super tight but from a value perspective (if I grab the used one, new it makes sense to go bigger) it may make sense for the few times and few nights we have more than three. We certainly couldn't set up a table to cook with that many.

I've only spent a few nights in a 12 X 14 when on our first elk hunt our nylon tent learned what wind was. Another buddy of our moved in to the large tent with the group and let my wife and I use his for a few nights. It was very spacious for two, a table with small stove on it, etc. One of the reasons I'm leaning 12 X 14 (aside from economics of the used option) is the percent of time it would only be two of us. Figure at the price I could rent it out a few seasons per year, save that up, and get which ever one I wanted.

We'll see. I sincerely appreciate everyone's thoughts.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks, @sndmn11 . Always appreciate your perspective. For 4 cots we'd likely have two together for my wife and I. I know 4 would be super tight but from a value perspective (if I grab the used one, new it makes sense to go bigger) it may make sense for the few times and few nights we have more than three. We certainly couldn't set up a table to cook with that many.

For $1k, everything you need but the hammer, I'd choose that.

Goose10

FNG
If you live in Parker just drive up and see the guys at Davis, they are great and can help you with anything.
We use one and sometimes two 12x14 for our elk pack trips for many years. Great size, fits 3 cots across the back and very comfortable. Sometimes we sleep 4 and that cot goes along the side opposite of the stove.
As far as poles, don’t worry about the middle pole with traditional poles. We use the regular poles sometimes but usually cut poles in the woods. Nothing beats having a ridgepole with cross bucks on the end.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
I would highly recommend NOT having a stove jack in the wall. I have a 10x12ft canvas elk tent for about 7 years now and use it at least a dozen times a year. It has a sidewall stove jack and it absolutely 100% SUCKS!!! It's main reason I am looking for a new tent.

I freaking hate it. It's such a pain in the ass with the stove pipes having to do 90 degrees to get out and then to go up. The weight of the pipes makes is susceptible to the pipe coming out of the stove or getting knocked off by wind. It's also a LOT harder to draft correctly and is a finicky bit%h. I'll never again get an elk tent with the stove jack in the side.

Under optimal conditions, there's not much issue with sidewall stove jack, but if you're camping more than 2-3 days, there's going be either a storm, wind, rain, snow, etc, that's going to screw with your stove and pipes.

Over the years I've got it pretty much dialed in, but a lot of the stress, bad experiences, and extra steps to make sure it's secure would be easily avoided if I had a stove jack in the roof instead.

If you're worried about burn holes in the roof, put in a spark screen.
Oregon Steeler, you can have a Stove jack added to the roof of your tent and the existing covered with a velcroed patch? You are in portland? Bravo tents in Camas can do it pretty easy and reasonable.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Generally, a wall tent is SHORTER, not longer, than the stated length, due to doubling the seams while sewing. Just saying......
agreed, I'm assuming that's a typo and he meant 13' 9"? ?? I realize that not what he said but ......