Warmest Down Coat

I want to buy my wife a new down coat for Christmas. Currently she wears a really old mountain hardware coat she has had for years. Looking for something with a little durability but she’s extremely cold natured so I want something super warm. Any suggestions? She is 5’6” but small and petite.

eamyrick

WKR
Really like my Mont Bell Alpine Light. They have an even warmer version. They are broken down on Mont Bell’s website. For reference I wore the Light down to -9 with layers.

rclouse79

WKR
If price is an isssue I would look at the outdoor research hooded cold front jacket. There are some colors on sale for under $100. I almost ordered a second this week to have a backup. I ordered a few down coats online, and this is the only one I was pleased with warmth wise. It has a lot of fill compared to the other down coats I tried.

rclouse79

WKR
Rab has some women’s options and makes great down coats.
I don’t know if I got a lemon, but I ordered a synthetic rab coat and it came apart at the seams in multiple locations. I liked it enough that I went over all the spots with my sewing machine.

Geewhiz

WKR
I’ve been looking for the same for my wife. So far the winner is the Rab axion pro. It’s got 9.7 oz of 700 fill down which is the most down I’ve found in a coat in my search so far. That’s a lot of down.

I bought my wife this one last year. It is by far her favorite gift I've ever bought her. Very warm. It's not going backpacking tho.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Really like my Mont Bell Alpine Light. They have an even warmer version. They are broken down on Mont Bell’s website. For reference I wore the Light down to -9 with layers.

I’ll second Montbell, I have the full Alpine parka and it is fantastically warm. Over the Thanksgiving week I sat stationary for 2+ hours in the teens wearing it with minimal other layers (eg t shirt and a fairly thin fleece) and was comfortable. The outer fabric is typical for what I would expect in a down jacket, definitely not something I would want to bust brush in but I’m it worried about it spontaneously exploding either

I bought 2x Montbell jackets from the Japan site and got both ~$400 jackets (each) for $240 shipped.

Can anyone beat 9.7 oz of 700 fill down?

Get your checkbook out.

Tod osier

WKR
I want to buy my wife a new down coat for Christmas. Currently she wears a really old mountain hardware coat she has had for years. Looking for something with a little durability but she’s extremely cold natured so I want something super warm. Any suggestions? She is 5’6” but small and petite.
At the higher end of the price range, but there are a lot of very warm very well made down coats offered by Canada Goose.

Reactions: Duh

Dented

WKR
Another vote for Canada Goose. Do NOT buy the cheap ones advertised. They're fake. The real stuff is really solid. My kids argue over who gets my stuff when I'm dead. They're all heart sometimes...😅

Feathered Friends has great gear also, but not bombproof like Canada Goose.

Reactions: Duh

Geewhiz

WKR
Another vote for Canada Goose. Do NOT buy the cheap ones advertised. They're fake. The real stuff is really solid. My kids argue over who gets my stuff when I'm dead. They're all heart sometimes...😅

Feathered Friends has great gear also, but not bombproof like Canada Goose.
Mother mercy $1650 for a coat? It better be warm!

OP
Bezamaelee
Dadgum this is great. I thought I might get a handful of recommendations but this is awesome. Lots of good info here. Thanks, all. And Merry Christmas everyone!

87TT

WKR
Here ya go.
OIP.SM6uRToDR9ChXU458HLoDAAAAA

Tod osier

WKR

Think about a nice pair of gloves and a good snow shovel to go with it.