Warmest Down Coat

ScottP

WKR
Mainly just wearing around the barn doing chores. And then also that outdoor sporting events, Treestand hunting etc.
Lands End and LLBean have many such coats at good prices. They also have coats of varying lengths. I got my wife what we call the "sleeping bag coat" last year from LE. She loves that thing when it goes <0 and someone has to walk the dog...

The forloh option looks nice if you want to keep it all in USA. I wish the mid weight jacket had a hood.

My wife was using a spare puffy of mine when we were dating for cooler season backpacking. I got her an arcteryx thorium hooded puffy and she wears the shit out of it. It's not super light 10d shell fabric so it works well for casual wear.

hard to pay full price though.. they blow em out on clearance at least once or twice a year.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife was looking for a very warm jacket (playground duty in Montana) after a lot of looking I got her a Mountain Hardware Phantom Alpine down jacket- 7 ounces of 850 fill, it's a furnace (but still light- ~ 1 lb)

They retail for $450, but on sale now on MH's website for $200 :)

Duh

WKR
Got mine a Canadian goose down with the coyote fur hood. We live in ND and she loves it. Got little kids and it’s held up to their abuse so far. I was skeptical and not thrilled with the price tag but haven’t heard a complaint from her about being cold. It’s the longer version they sell.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider

For lightweight daily casual.

For durable, hard use. Don't underestimate the importance of soft, cute, and stylish for women. If she's prone to cold, get her a long cut parka to cover her thighs

Geewhiz

WKR
My wife was looking for a very warm jacket (playground duty in Montana) after a lot of looking I got her a Mountain Hardware Phantom Alpine down jacket- 7 ounces of 850 fill, it's a furnace (but still light- ~ 1 lb)

They retail for $450, but on sale now on MH's website for $200 :)
Do you happen to have a link to that? Im seeing it for $337

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don’t know if I got a lemon, but I ordered a synthetic rab coat and it came apart at the seams in multiple locations. I liked it enough that I went over all the spots with my sewing machine.
I think you got a lemon. I've got several pieces of Rab gear, and they've all held up well.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can anyone beat 9.7 oz of 700 fill down?

8.3oz of 850 actually out maths the 9.7 of 700. Box baffled, not sewn through. Not sure if Stellar has any women's jackets with that much down. Nunatak, but you might have to wait forever to get one for her.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I got my wife a arcteryx puffy coat a few years ago. She’s typically cold and the coat keeps her warm. It’s also well made so it’s holding up well.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Warmest? My Rab Positron Pro is not truly the warmest, but it is warm enough that I rarely use it, even in Alaska.

The Rab Electron Pro is an awesome jacket, it is warm, but not too warm. Cut long too. My wife really likes hers, and I really like mine. It also does not make one look like a marshmallow, the Positron on the other hand does. My wife gets cold easily, she rarely pulls out her Positron though.

Between me and my wife we have 6 Rab jackets and one sleeping bag. All 7 products have held up well.