Warmest mid layer hoody for us thin blooded guys?

Wapiti151

WKR
Well if pulling the sleeve up over you hand, you won’t really notice, other than having some extra material there. I will say, for cold hikes or hunts…those weird mittens are actually pretty nice to have. I didn’t like them at first, then I used them and was glad I had. My hands also run really cold, so comes in handy for me…no pun intended. Sitka doesn’t really show it on the website, but this is how I wear mine most of the time. Then the mitten material folds down and you tuck your fingers in it.

IMG_0200.jpegIMG_0201.jpeg

I dont think the kuiu peloton 240 is very warm at all for a mid layer but some people do. for hunting brands the sitka ambient is hard to beat. some discontinued half zip hoodies are still floating around for close to half off. for non camo option look up the mtn hardware summit grid hoodie.
they can be found on sale often, I got mine for 30$ from steep and cheap and its very comfortable and warm. my xl weighs 14oz.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a warm midlayer I think the Cirque Lite would be a solid choice. It was the warmest of the midlayers I tested, but still did well on the move.

Another option in colder temperatures is to bump your base layer weight up to something like Sitka’s Core medium weight or Patagonia’s Thermal weight and use one of the midlayers with Alpha or Evolve insulation.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the pieces I wear as a mid-layer depending on the hunt are Sitka heavyweight hoody, First Light Kiln, Kuiu Strongfleece 260 hoody and Kuiu Kenai jacket. When it's really cold and I'm stationary, I wear the Sitka heavyweight hoody as a base layer. It is a great, versatile piece and probably my favorite all around.

Rjk300

FNG
Kuiu merino 120 crew t shirt then merino 200 zip t then 260 strong fleece then all seasons guide jacket on cold day about mid 20’s to about 40. The ultra down vest is the game changer for me either worn as a mid layer or outer. Light weight easy to pack and very warm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been very impressed with both my Sitka ambient and kuiu 97 as mid layers. I think both punch above their weight in terms of warmth.

if you want a seriously warm piece, look at the Sitka traverse hoody or jacket. Sherpa lined fleece with a pretty tough outer face. much warmer and more breathable than a comparable soft shell like a jet stream. Not wind or water proof but give some resistance to both. Love mine enough that I have one in subalpine and two solids that I wear around town.