Washington Upland Bird

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anybody get after the upland birds this year? My GSP and I got 23 hunts in this year. We hunted just about every weekend that I wasnt big game hunting. We got some meat stacked in the freezer!

Here are a few highlights. Moose ended up bring 60 birds to hand.

Looks like you had a great year! How is your winter going, are the birds catching heck with a lot of snow combined with cold?

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like you had a great year! How is your winter going, are the birds catching heck with a lot of snow combined with cold?
Its pretty snowy over there. I'm a little worried. As long as the spring isnt too harsh we should be OK. We had a very mild winter up until 3 weeks ago

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
Dang, looks like you need a friend REAL Bad.
We stayed on the outskirts of Spokane last summer for a few days (between Spokane and the airport). I had no idea Wash. was such an upland hot spot. There were Turkey and those crazy looking quail all around the hotel.
Nice haul there, always wanted to shoot some pheasants.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, looks like you need a friend REAL Bad.
We stayed on the outskirts of Spokane last summer for a few days (between Spokane and the airport). I had no idea Wash. was such an upland hot spot. There were Turkey and those crazy looking quail all around the hotel.
Nice haul there, always wanted to shoot some pheasants.

Flak - if you want to hear a fun story. I grew up in Washington and trained English pointers and Shorthairs from childhood until about 7 years ago.

There are parts of Washington, back when the Thompson Contenders were new, guys would carry a little 7mm-08 in their pack while bird hunting during rifle deer season. Let's just say Chukars, Pheasant and Quail have been known to live with large bucks.

Flak - if you want to hear a fun story. I grew up in Washington and trained English pointers and Shorthairs from childhood until about 7 years ago.

There are parts of Washington, back when the Thompson Contenders were new, guys would carry a little 7mm-08 in their pack while bird hunting during rifle deer season. Let's just say Chukars, Pheasant and Quail have been known to live with large bucks.
Used to do something similar...

FLAK

WKR

I believe it. There were deer every morning just down from the hotel behind a u-haul rental place. This was in like an office/industrial park type place right off the interstate.
Another guy there was telling me there was a moose the morning we arrived but I never got to see it.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I believe it. There were deer every morning just down from the hotel behind a u-haul rental place. This was in like an office/industrial park type place right off the interstate.
Another guy there was telling me there was a moose the morning we arrived but I never got to see it.

Welcome to Spokane

Forks

FNG
Well done Brock on keeping that youngster on birds. I only hunted my EP and GSP on partridge in Central and this year the numbers were incredible.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well done Brock on keeping that youngster on birds. I only hunted my EP and GSP on partridge in Central and this year the numbers were incredible.
Thanks! This was his 2nd season and he hunts like a seasoned vet. We did hunt 1 day of chukar in central WA and yes, the bird numbers were great. My shooting was at fault that day, lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3sdad

FNG
Looks like you had a great year. Hunting behind a pointer is awesome. This year was my gsp's first season and its crazy how much she progressed thru the season. The 2019 opener can't come soon enough. Thank goodness for kokanee fishing to fill the gap.

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like you had a great year. Hunting behind a pointer is awesome. This year was my gsp's first season and its crazy how much she progressed thru the season. The 2019 opener can't come soon enough. Thank goodness for kokanee fishing to fill the gap.

Watching them learn is the best! I started keeping a journal of each hunt this year and making sure I write down specific traits I see him doing as he progresses.

3sdad

FNG
Watching them learn is the best! I started keeping a journal of each hunt this year and making sure I write down specific traits I see him doing as he progresses.
A journal is a good idea, I might have to try it. The only negative trait I noticed was her number of false points. She improved with every trip, so I suspect after her 2nd season it will be a non issue.