Watch Suggestions

Broomd

WKR
Casio pathfinder for most every day use, just picked up a Garmin instinct but haven't had a chance yet to put it through the ringer.
Second the pathfinder...mine is Ti, solar, and has atomic time keeping. Always exact to the millisecond.

Big_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Garmin Fenix 5X here and will probably be upgrading to the Garmin Epix gen2 sapphire which has an amoled display. Epix gen2 and the Fenix 7 are basically the same watch but with different displays. The Fenix 7x has a cool built in LED flashlight though. Too bad the 7x doesn’t come in a amoled display version.

DC Rainmaker does excellent product reviews of both the Garmin and Suunto watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I beat the hell out of my Instinct Solar hunting, working out, training on the fire grounds and running fires in general. Have had it for about 15 months and zero issues. I don’t think the solar is absolutely necessary but it does help with battery life in the summer/fall.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a G shock gd350. It's got a vibration alarm, which is nice for sleeping with earplugs in. The common theme uniting everyone I hunt with is snoring.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Garmin Fenix 5X here and will probably be upgrading to the Garmin Epix gen2 sapphire which has an amoled display. Epix gen2 and the Fenix 7 are basically the same watch but with different displays. The Fenix 7x has a cool built in LED flashlight though. Too bad the 7x doesn’t come in a amoled display version.

DC Rainmaker does excellent product reviews of both the Garmin and Suunto watches.

Those are really good reviews. Epix looks sweet

I run a Garmin Fenix 6X Pro and love it. Decent battery life and pretty large screen real estate. Altimeter and compass seem to be really accurate.

Backyard

WKR
Instinct. Had mine about 3 yrs now. Wear it everyday all day everywhere and it still runs and looks new. No problems ever. Get about 2 weeks per charge. Non solar.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the bigger / more expensive gamin models but always ended up back with their cheap and easy forerunner 35. It’s sub $100, does gps tracking for hikes and runs, shows text messages / calls, and runs forever. I love it because I can leave “my precious” in my pocket, backpack, running sleeve for hours and stay just enough in touch that if something important is going on, I know.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
The solar instinct is a great watch. have had it two years and not a single issue.

Timex Expedition. I have a few of them with one being 20 years old. I've only ever replaced the bands and batteries and I get over five years out of a battery. My wife has one of those fancy gps watches and she's always worried about the battery on even a short trip.

Garmin instinct now for 13 months. Been great and I've used the GPS for storing places I went to when I wasn't packing the phone or GPS unit. Was using a GShock Rangeman, another good non GPS watch.

Yooper

WKR
Word is the new Garmin Instinct 2 is coming out in the next week or so. I've got the original Instinct and love it for what it does. Might want to hold out and see what the next version offers if you're into the original one.

Vaer field watch
Simple and does what a watch needs to do for me.I never take it off unless i think i may damage it from working out or working on a vehicle etc.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
Using the Forerunner 245 but didn't need/want any map functions. Just as a general watch/fitness tracker

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Suunto traverse alpha here. Does everything I need it to reliably. It’s beat all to hell and not very pretty anymore. It’s been on hunts all over the world and still holds a charge for over a week at a time while using GPS mode for tracking runs at least 3 times per week. I’m not even sure if they make it anymore but when (if) this one craps out, I’ll be looking for another one. Bought it new back around 2017ish

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a big fan of the Garmin Instinct Solar. I have been wearing mine every day since I got it in 2020 and it still works well and is in great shape.

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Garmin Fenix 6X. Skip the solar; it’s gimmicky and watch is normally covered by sleeve anyways. The other option is some stronger face material. Battery lasts like a month when just using for telling the time. I’d expect a week or better even if using GPS.

I like the Garmin Fenix line...... believe it's the 5X Sapphire specifically
that's what i have as well... hadn't worn a watch for probably 20 years prior to the garmin, and the bulk took some getting used to, but i will never be without one now, i like it a lot, and it's surviving me, so that's a plus. maybe not the best option for everyone, but i like it a bunch