Water storage at camp

Looking for opinions on storing water at camp. Looking at using an MSR Drom light bag, filling at a water source near camp and pumping through a filter into nalgene, cook pot ect. I've done it in the past with a cheapo bag and looking for something better.

Datslab

FNG
Any reason you can’t bring water to camp? I fill 8 gallon water jugs and it works well for me.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
I use the nalgene cantene. They’re like $15 bucks, pretty light, and stand up on their own when full which is nice. They do have the full size nalgene opening.

I do this for an area that I frequently hunt. There’s a reliable water source about the last 1200’ from the ridge line where I camp. I hike right past it on the way in. I have used a gravity filters to filter into my MSR Dromedary bag. But I’ve also used MSR Aqua Tabs. Drop in a few as per the instructions and finish the climb. They have a bit of a taste but not terrible if you’re thirsty. You don’t notice if you are cooking with it or using it for coffee and drink mixes.

Attachments

• FAA04311-FA55-4ABF-A049-FB2BB11280B8.jpeg
    FAA04311-FA55-4ABF-A049-FB2BB11280B8.jpeg
    731.1 KB · Views: 103

tdot

WKR
I tried the MSR Drom Lite last year as I heard the new version didn't have the poor taste of the previous version. Well that was BS, they have a horrible taste. Yes they're durable, but the water is absolutely disgusting. Plus the new caps leaked and spun off easily. I had 3 bladders, all were the same.

Based on reviews on Rokslide, I tried the Cnoc bladders. They're awesome. Tough, tasteless, easy to fill. I bought a filter that threads directly to it and use it either as a gravity filter or a squeeze filter, depending on my needs. Usually have 3-4 bladders with me for water storage at camp and on my back.

Werty

WKR
Like said above get a 5 or 8 gallon collapsible water jug/bladder. Make a couple of trip to fill it up. Also 2 liter pop bottles are cheap and light. So many option out there. Good luck

Ranger619

WKR
2 liter Platy bottle. They hold 2.3 liters and weigh less than 2 oz. if I remember. I carry 1-3 depending on my trip. I can fill them and leave them in camp then throw the empty in my pack and fill it during the day if I run across water.

TomJoad

WKR
Another platy user. Mostly use the 2L clean/dirty gravity setup unless it’s a late hunt (tablets in that case). I frequently spike nowhere near water. During the day I’ll fill up and filter 2L in the clean bag and on the way back to camp fill the dirty 2L bag if possible.

positives: lightweight and takes up no space, especially considering the 4L capacity. Nice and easy to hang in a tree fir the camp kitchen tap on demand.

neg: managing freezing in later seasons or during storm cycles. Doable... I keep my filter hose setup in the bottom of my bag, but a pain.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Platypus bags for water and whiskey. They are not as tough as the MSR Bags but they are much lighter.

AKDoc

WKR
Looking for opinions on storing water at camp. Looking at using an MSR Drom light bag, filling at a water source near camp and pumping through a filter into nalgene, cook pot ect. I've done it in the past with a cheapo bag and looking for something better.
I have two MSR Dromedary bags (10 liter) and have used them every year on remote Alaska trips for the last six years, e.g., remote hundred-mile pack-raft floats, two-week moose drop camps, etc. They get heavy use in the field each year with no problems or complaints at all from me, and they are still going strong. Mine are not the "lite" model bags, so they are 3ozs heavier by comparison.

In the field our various water sources have always been pretty close to camp. One of my chores is to collect water at the source in my gravity filter bag (Katadyn Base-camp) and then hang it at/near the source to directly fill the MSR bag from the filter while I go do something else. I return to a full bag of potable water and carry it and the empty filter back to camp...done that a bazillion times. Two bags are good for a base camp...just one if I'm on the move daily and moving camp.

I've personally not experienced any adverse taste from my MSR bags nor cap failures.

Mosby

WKR
I carry some Evernew water bags in my pack and fill them up if water is scarce or a hike. I don't like skimping on water.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved

Our closest water was a mile away from camp, and away from our hunting area. We packed in a 5gal collapsible, each of us had 3L bladder, 2 nalgene and a Platypus Water tank.

Would last us (2 of us) 3-4 days depending on temperature and miles we put on that day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just looking at that this morning. Dumb question but I'm guessing it's easy to pour?
Very easy to pour. The opening is slightly larger than the opening of your average Gatorade, I'd say. You can also get a katadyn filter that threads directly onto the reservoir and use it as a squeeze filter.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I was just looking at that this morning. Dumb question but I'm guessing it's easy to pour?
I have had zero issues. Some people have complained about the taste but I didn’t notice any. Then again, I had the common sense to wash it a few times before use in the field.

tdot

WKR
I just used a Drom Lite this past weekend. My god is that spigot slow putting that water out. It felt like a 5 minute wait to get my nalgene filled up. Does the Cnoc spit out water faster than the Drom Lite?
The CNOC has a neck opening the same size as a Smart Water bottle. I use the same water filter on both. If you are referring to the tiny dropper bottle cap that the Drom Lite uses, then yes, the CNOC is much faster. If you unthread that dropper bottle cap off of the Drom Lite, it's the same basic opening as the CNOC. There are other thread on caps for the Drom Lite.

I may reconsider my recommendation for the CNOC. Last year it was great, this year, day 1 of my sheep hunt it sprung a leak. Easy to deal with and didn't cause issues, but it's the first bladder I've ever had that leaked.