Weather CO 3rd season

What we fixin' to get ourselves into ya'll? This SE Texan wants to know. :D

Last year, I weathered the 2nd season blizzard in a Kodiak Canvas tent and a buddy heater. Single digits for days on end and 15" of snow. Even the locals left. Me and one guy with NY State plates were the only ones that were stupid enough to stay and hunt. After that, I figured I was good to go. LOL

What we looking at for 3rd season? Good, bad or just ugly? I see 20/40 most days. After last year, that doesn't sound all that bad to me so long as I get to see the sun every now and then.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Was there last year 3rd rifle. Me and a buddy in a lightweight tipi tent. No tent this year but still hoping for better weather. Good luck and be safe!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
In the SW, looks like it’s a high pressure parked on top of us. Chance of snow before the weekend, but it’s probably going to push North due to the high pressure ridge.

cnelk

WKR
Seems like this time of year the weather is on a 7 day cycle. Warm for awhile, then cooler for awhile.
Depends on what cycle you get. But the cooler cycles seem to get colder each week.

Go figure. It’s November

SonnyDay

WKR
Not sure where in CO you're headed, but my son and I are headed out for 3rd Rifle in CO as well.

A few resources I watch:

Current Snow Depth (This link starts you out in California...but you can scroll your way to CO).
NOAA Long Term Forecast (8-14 days)

Have fun and good luck!

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where in CO you're headed, but my son and I are headed out for 3rd Rifle in CO as well.

A few resources I watch:

Current Snow Depth (This link starts you out in California...but you can scroll your way to CO).
NOAA Long Term Forecast (8-14 days)

Have fun and good luck!
Thanks for the links. We are headed out from Oregon and will be there next Friday. Looking forward to my first hunting trip to Colorado in 21 years. I moved to Oregon from Texas and have never made the trip back in 21 years due to work and family, it's time!

Phaseolus

WKR
The truth is third season is too far away to accurately predict the weather. It 61 and nice here in Palisade, i’m going for a short hike wearing shorts in a few minutes. Plan for all types of weather and you will be fine.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It could be pleasant .. or it could snow 20 inches .. depends on elevation, location etc and just weather systems. Currently it is pleasant.

It's looking like cold nights (as usual) and then mild sunny days in the 50's for opening weekend in the southern part of the State.

looks like a little snow here in northwest colorado tuesday-ish, then partly cloudy 40*'s for highs during 3rd season.... not great for moving game down in elevation. not enough snow to move them. but you won't get one if you don't try your hardest , the animals are still there - just tougher to find. good luck all!

OP
Newtosavage
looks like a little snow here in northwest colorado tuesday-ish, then partly cloudy 40*'s for highs during 3rd season.... not great for moving game down in elevation. not enough snow to move them. but you won't get one if you don't try your hardest , the animals are still there - just tougher to find. good luck all!
Was thinking the same thing. If last year taught me anything, it's that I am still good to go in 15" of snow and single digits although I'd prefer 20's and 40's if I have my druthers. Looks like the start of the season might be just that. Since my units range from 6k to 11k, the weather might have a lot of bearing on what elevation I choose to set camp in. But right now, it's looking pretty good. At least compared to last year's 2nd season blizzard!

SonnyDay

WKR
Kinda hoping for a bunch of snow in NW CO so we can track, and potentially make some of the haul on skis/sleds...

CoHiCntry

WKR
Looks like it's gonna be a warm one where I'm hunting... unfortunately. Highs in the mid to upper 50's maybe even low 60's. Cooling towards the end of the week but not much. As it gets closer the forecast has gotten warmer and warmer (n)

OP
Newtosavage
Kinda hoping for a bunch of snow in NW CO so we can track, and potentially make some of the haul on skis/sleds...
While not a BUNCH of snow, there was just enough the two days before the season to lead me to my buck on Tuesday afternoon. :D That was at 9400 feet.

Back at base camp (7200') things were downright balmy. One afternoon it reached 64 degrees and yesterday morning while packing for home, I took a bucket bath in the sunshine at 7:30 a.m.

Compared to last year's 2nd season, this 3rd season was spectacular weather!

I know some wished it was colder with more snow, but after last year I could use a few reasonable seasons.