Weatherby has forsaken it 270

RMB518

FNG
I have been watching the ability of the 270wtby mag ammo for several years. I think it might be a dead cartridge.

Nobody but Weatherby produces 270wtby ammo but Weatherby. Nosler did for a minute but that has clearly passed.

If Weatherby will not produce ammo the caliber its existence will not go on. I have one its a great rifle and I probably have a more brass than barrel life and will re load until such time comes.

Its a damn shame that Weatherby had choosen to produce PRC/Winchester factory ammo before supporting its own caliber rifles.

I hope I am wrong. I think I am done with my allure of Weatherby as a brand and anyone considering a Weatherby caliber be suspect.

t_carlson

WKR
That's too bad, its a cool cartridge.

I have one too. Never fired a shot from it. Its an old J.C. Higgins that started out as a .270 Win. and was rechambered to WBY. It was the elk rifle of my grandfather's best hunting buddy, and he gave it to my grandfather when he was terminally ill from lung cancer.

I like having it because its an old relic from they heyday of the magnum craze and the "good old days" of western BG hunting. I have no desire to hunt with it, however. I think I'll hang it above the fireplace someday.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I as well shoot the 270 weatherby it is by far my favorite caliber for 90% of everything so much so I am having a custom rifle chambered in it as well as 375 Ruger I'm in the same boat with more brass than I know what to do with but I'm always looking for more as well still have another 100 rounds to shoot of weatherby factory ammo also so I'm probably good for a bit. It is concerning though to see how it has become almost impossible to find it's a classic round just as the 300 weatherby.

OP
RMB518

RMB518

FNG
I too have another 4 or 5 boxes of 130gr ttsx factory ammo left. I wonder what they'd sell .for these days they were ~$90 new a few years back.
I prefer the heavier 150gr.

letrbuck

WKR
My LGS has over a case of 270wby ammo on the shelf at 56$/box. I forgot which bullet though. Send me a PM if you'd be interested in it

AGPank

WKR
When I was a teenager getting ready to buy my first rifle I read every gun magazine I could find. My dad had a 270. Rancher I knew had 30-06. I was convinced a 280 had a slight ballistic advantage over both.

The rancher I knew said that’s fine, but if you head out hunting and forget your shells, most every store will carry 270 or 30-06. I ended up with a 30-06.

Just saw a 6.5/284 in a Cooper, great deal. Same problem, where do I get ammo.

My dad just bought a 28 Nosler, outrageous expensive ammo.

I reminded of a saying “the enemy of good is better”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RMB518

RMB518

FNG
My LGS has over a case of 270wby ammo on the shelf at 56$/box. I forgot which bullet though. Send me a PM if you'd be interested in it
I really appreciate that but honestly I just need to slice out some time and reload my brass.

That's probably the take away message for me.

Most non-common cartridges have worked their way into reloader only, hardly ever shoot, or wasteful money pit (if you're actually going to shoot it some with factory) status. Was the 270 bee ever really popular? I always heard more about their other offerings. Maybe its just because the 270 WSM has been out since i've paid attention to rifles.

Love to hear how many 270 Bee rifles are getting sold a year these days..

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
If you want the company to survive, why would you want it allocating business resources to something that is not profitable?

This has been covered extensively in another thread. Weatherby has had to adapt to the times. Their proprietary cartridges and what built their name, are arguably irrelevant now. Fast and flat has been replaced by rangefinders, ballistic calculators and high bc bullets. Adapt or die.

amassi

WKR
Most non-common cartridges have worked their way into reloader only, hardly ever shoot, or wasteful money pit (if you're actually going to shoot it some with factory) status. Was the 270 bee ever really popular? I always heard more about their other offerings. Maybe its just because the 270 WSM has been out since i've paid attention to rifles.

Love to hear how many 270 Bee rifles are getting sold a year these days..

Correct it was never a barn burner by any means
The 257 and 300 were the best sellers by a large margin.
The 270 and 7mm never really took off and remained niche cartridges in a niche company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Any chance they are just in between production runs? Looks like most of the OG Weatherby cartridges are OOS on their website, even the 257 which is their best seller I think.

Hopefully they keep up with their 270, it's probably their best all around cartridge.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Any chance they are just in between production runs? Looks like most of the OG Weatherby cartridges are OOS on their website, even the 257 which is their best seller I think.

Hopefully they keep up with their 270, it's probably their best all around cartridge.
That's what I was referring to, other ammo companies have done that with some cartridges and then suddenly we see a large quantity of that cartridge.

OP
RMB518

RMB518

FNG
How many years are "in between runs"?

I guess why I'm annoyed is they have sought to pursue ammo/brass for Nosler/PRC before taking care of there proprietary cartilages.