Weight of the world in a limited space!?

Tristan

FNG
With the packs, bino harness, and rifle sling all fighting to cling to the same small patch of space between your neck and outside edge of your shoulder.. how are all of you managing these systems from always fighting with each other?? I struggle mostly with once my pack and bino harness are situated my sling never wants to stay on my shoulder and I am not a fan of burying it into the scabbard on my pack… not to mention with the bino harness on my chest my side arm typically lives in my right hip and fights against my buttstock for space as well! Too much junk lol

Rob5589

WKR
The rifle sling is an issue for me as well. I need to research it for a solution. My favorite change last season was ditching the bino pack/harness and going to the Rick Young harness.

OP
T

Tristan

FNG
The rifle sling is an issue for me as well. I need to research it for a solution. My favorite change last season was ditching the bino pack/harness and going to the Rick Young harness.
I’ll look up the Rick Young harness

My rifle is either on my pack due to the terrain which means both hands are on trekking poles, or I am carrying it. I have never cared for slings much, only using them when I have to.

I grew up wearing a chest rig and a pack so that has never really bothered me. I keep both pretty light so that has also always seemed to help.

OP
T

Tristan

FNG
My rifle is either on my pack due to the terrain which means both hands are on trekking poles, or I am carrying it. I have never cared for slings much, only using them when I have to.

I grew up wearing a chest rig and a pack so that has never really bothered me. I keep both pretty light so that has also always seemed to help.
I’ve never like my rifle far from my hands, I grew up very hunting elk in Oregon oldschool with just a Fanny pack but nowadays I pack ready for anything in Alaska and that includes bino harness and pack and sidearm and rifle close by!

I don't carry a side arm, I don't need one I've already got a rifle. I don't remember the last time I tried to carry my rifle on my shoulder, with a quality pack it's difficult.

Kifaru gun bearer when I'm hunting, when I'm moving to or from an area in the dark it's strapped to my pack.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'll echo what justinspicher said, my rifle or bow are either securely strapped to my pack or they're in my hands. I haven't used a sling on my rifle in 15+ years. Back when I did have a sling on my rifle, I found it cumbersome while hunting, potentially getting caught on brush/branches and causing a distraction for me. Ditched the sling and really haven't missed it.

LostArra

WKR
I have learned to really like the Slik Sling from the same group that makes the Montana Bow Sling (Creative Outdoors).

Kuiu rifle sling with an extra strap to keep it snugged in tight works great when on the move. In my hands otherwise. Trying to manage it with a shoulder sling is a hassle. I took mine off this year. Some bino harness are more comfortable than others. I've had good luck with the Kuiu pro harness, it distributes the weight well.

JD Jones

WKR
Echo others above... Strapped with trekking poles /4wd engaged or more than likely I’m just carrying my weapon (bow or gun)

I use a Stone Glacier Quick Release Sling when rifle hunting with a backpack on. It's advertised for carrying the gun behind your shoulder alongside your pack, but if you want to carry with the barrel in front of your shoulder (which I personally prefer), you can shift the buttstock cradle further forward on your hip belt and attach the QR strap to your pack's shoulder strap.

Ark6

FNG
I’ve had decent luck with a sling hook on my right shoulder strap and tucking the butt of the rifle behind my pistol grip on the pack waist. I’m planning to move my pistol to my chest rig, but I’m also going to upgrade to a larger bore pistol for anything which might include bears, so think I’ll then either do a quick sling of some sort of strap it to my pack (not a huge fan of strapping to the pack due to the barrel heigh and chance of knocking a scope against something and not knowing it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10ringer

WKR
When Rifle hunting without my pack the last chance archery “slingmate” works best. This was a joint creation by Travis T-bone Turner and the guys at LCA.

e771dd7b494d8a98f12a9e7b6bb15109.jpg

Hunting with a pack on, the Kifaru gun bearer is a slam dunk. Its universal and will work on any backpack. Buy one for you and a few more your buddies, its a game changer!!!

JohnB

WKR
Here’s a potential sling solution for you that has worked well for me:

SlingHook Universal Sling Clip for Backpack Shoulder Straps, fits Any Pack, fits Any Sling, Hands Free Hiking, Simple Fast Installation, Doubles as Tactical Sling Support https://a.co/d/25QXZpD
Here is another vote for those things. If I'm in timber my rifle is in my hands but if I'm doing a bunch of glassing I love having it on my shoulder with that hook keeping it in place.

Kifaru Gun Bearer on occasion i rifle hunt. Hands free so i can do other things with my hands. My Lag Tactical holster fits perfect on the waist belt underneath the belt pocket. No bino harness. I’ve figured out how to strap my binos to my pack or I just wear them around my neck. When elk hunting I have calls and a bugle tube as well. I feel like a walking sporting goods store at times that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
When Rifle hunting without my pack the last chance archery “slingmate” works best. This was a joint creation by Travis T-bone Turner and the guys at LCA.

e771dd7b494d8a98f12a9e7b6bb15109.jpg

Hunting with a pack on, the Kifaru gun bearer is a slam dunk. Its universal and will work on any backpack. Buy one for you and a few more your buddies, its a game changer!!!

The gunbearer is an awesome option