Is there one brand that is truly the best for carrying weight?

grfox92

WKR
Ive been using a Seek Unaweep 4800 for 6 years now. I was always happy with the pack and loved how it carried my gear. Fast forward to the last 2 years since I've been a resident out west and pack out a lot of animals every year.

I've grown to hate the pack. When it's adjusted right it is great and a joy to carry a heavy load, but it constantly needs to be adjusted. I'll use yesterday for an example. We killed a cow. We decided we would pack the whole cow out in one trip.

My pack was adjusted perfectly. With a shoulder, quarter, strap and tendy, I started back to the road and I honestly felt great. Heavy but it was carrying great. Then we stopped for a break, I dropped my pack, we rested, put my pack back on and it was a nightmare. Hip belt sliding down around my waist constantly, so I had to just suck it up and cinch down my shoulder straps and put all the weight there.

I've come to the conclusion that if I don't loosen my load lifters when I drop the pack it changes the suspension and it is no longer adjusted properly. It's not easy to remember to loosen them when you are doing a brutal packout. Is this normal on other packs? Is it that with a load that heavy no pack is going to stay where you want it

After 6 years, regardless I want to try something new. I know that pack fit can be personal and to someone's body. But what would you guys say is the best pack for carrying weight? When I first joined this forum the answer would have been Kifaru hands down, but with some recent developments from Exo and other companies I'm not sure that still rings true.

I'm thinking a Kifaru 44 Mag or an Exo K4. Curious on opinions from people who have tried and packed a lot weight on multiple brands and packs.

Thanks for any input.

Gary

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I've come to the conclusion that if I don't loosen my load lifters when I drop the pack it changes the suspension and it is no longer adjusted properly. It's not easy to remember to loosen them when you are doing a brutal packout. Is this normal on other packs?

I think it's normal with a lot of weight that it won't feel the same if you take it off and then put it back on. There's a lot of tension balanced within the suspension around your body, and the easiest way to get the same feel is to work through the same process of snugging.

“Is there one brand that is truly the best for carrying weight?”​

No.

For me, since the K4 came out, it’s EXO.

Before that it was a toss up between Stone Glacier and Kifaru.

May come a day when one of them come out with a pack that works better for me than the K4 and I’ll jump ship as I have loyalty only to my wallet.

Try as many as you can and go with the one that fits YOU.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just gotta try them. Nice thing is you can order one, try it out and ship it back if it doesn't work.
I personally think they all suck with heavy weights (100 +) but the SG 5900 so far for me has been the best.
I did try the Seek a few years ago and it was horrible with weight.

Randy

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Just gotta try them. Nice thing is you can order one, try it out and ship it back if it doesn't work.
I personally think they all suck with heavy weights (100 +) but the SG 5900 so far for me has been the best.
I did try the Seek a few years ago and it was horrible with weight.

Randy
Yea, I've heard people say that Seek is the most comfortable for heavy loads, and I've heard the opposite. Like I said in the original post, if adjusted right it's great, but getting it to stay where I want it over time has not worked.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
It is normal to need to loosen and adjust the load lifters each time you take the pack off and put it back on. The sternum is the only one I rarely touch.
So weather I had a Kifaur or an Exo or a SG, if I forget to loosen load lifters before dropping my pack, it will changes the adjustment of my suspension?

Drenalin

WKR
So weather I had a Kifaur or an Exo or a SG, if I forget to loosen load lifters before dropping my pack, it will changes the adjustment of my suspension?

In my experience with all of those, and Seek, MR, and Kuiu, yes.

Drenalin

WKR
In my experience with all of those, and Seek, MR, and Kuiu, yes.
It seems like Mark at Exo talked about this on one of their podcasts, and stressed the importance of loosening and retightening the load lifters each time - I think he called it “load creep.”

woods89

WKR

I've used Kifaru and SO, and I've always loosened suspension straps when I took the pack off, and readjusted when I put it back on.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

I absolutely think that is true, in that the way it rides on your body has to be set every time. The pack doesn't land in the same place, or return to your personal "zero" every time.

Loosen waist, shoulder straps, load lifters, and when you put it on, always do it in the same order/process setting those (belt, shoulder straps, load lifters). Load lifters can make very small adjustments in how much load hits the top of your back vs front of chest, with extremely small changes. By loosening every time, once the weight is set on your hips and your harnessing is in the right place, then you just bring that bag in towards your upper back. Fit can really change with small amounts of foam in the lumbar pad (and where in that pad) as well, and how that thing can stay parked as you move.

It is normal to need to loosen and adjust the load lifters each time you take the pack off and put it back on. The sternum is the only one I rarely touch.
Yes, every exo fitment video ever says to loosen everything and start over every time you put the pack on.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider

No. But to get the best fit everytime you want to start with the hip belt and go in order. The reason you are having problems with SO is because of all the nylon connections sagging. SO packs are sagging all the time. Even in there promotional photos. Other hunting packs don't have this problem

Yea, I've heard people say that Seek is the most comfortable for heavy loads, and I've heard the opposite. Like I said in the original post, if adjusted right it's great, but getting it to stay where I want it over time has not worked.

I hated the seek with heavy loads and I gave it a good chance, I really wanted it to work, but I hated it with a load

For me personally, the k4 is the best, might not be for you

Kifaru was excellent with a heavy load as well, but in hunting mode, the k4 is much more comfortable to me

The 3 packs I hated with much weight were kuiu, mystery ranch guide light, and the seek… everything else has been different levels of acceptable with a couple that were excellent and currently a stand alone

If you can wing it, buy from the top 2 you are considering and send the one you don’t like as much back, there is certainly some subjective-ness with packs, or we would all be able to agree on the best in different categories

No. But to get the best fit everytime you want to start with the hip belt and go in order. The reason you are having problems with SO is because of all the nylon connections sagging. SO packs are sagging all the time. Even in there promotional photos. Other hunting packs don't have this problem
That is what it always felt like to me, the weight sagged and I couldn’t get it high and locked in

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I have an SG X-curve and noticed the same. Here is my thought on why.

If you have the load lifters loose the top of the pack is not tight against your shoulders. This allows you to tighten your waist belt without resistance from the load lifters giving you a tight fit on the belt. Now you tighten the load lifters bringing the top of the back toward your shoulders and it adds a little more tension to the waist belt which is already tight without any gaps that can cause slipping.

If you don’t loosen the load lifters first the pack is tight to your shoulders which brings the bottom of the pack away from your lower back. When you try to tighten the waist belt it is fighting the load lifters and will leave a gap on the waist belt.