Is there one brand that is truly the best for carrying weight?

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
That is what it always felt like to me, the weight sagged and I couldn’t get it high and locked in
They even say this in the 20 minute meat packing tutorial. You are supposed to readjust the harness because of sag. There is also folding of the hip belt because of the soft foam and the way the frame attaches to it.

They even say this in the 20 minute meat packing tutorial. You are supposed to readjust the harness because of sag. There is also folding of the hip belt because of the soft foam and the way the frame attaches to it.
One of my most memorable trips out was due to my seek, haha

Literally 3-4 days later my sis in law killed a buck on the other side of the same ridge… same exact route out of there and I had basically the same exact weight, but with my k2 with a k3 belt and it was such a huge contrast, I could have carried that pack all day… same pack out, same weight, one was miserable and one was easy. Wasn’t horrible until about 75#, beyond that it got brutal

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just have to try them and see what works for you. I went all in with Kifaru and it carried weight nicely.

I gave SG a try two seasons ago and sold all my Kifaru. It fit me better and handled weight a little better as a result.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
That is what it always felt like to me, the weight sagged and I couldn’t get it high and locked in
Yes. This explains it perfectly. Not sure how much half a cow with bones in weighs, but I'm guessing 100lbs +/-.

When I first strapped my pack on and got everything tight, we went about 2 miles, side Hilling on very steep terrain, steep down hill, my hip belt never moved an inch, it stayed on my belly button exactly where I positioned it. After I took the pack off and put it back on, it would literally immediately start sagging down to my waist. I could grab the bottom of my hip belt and hoist it up in line with my belly button, tighten the hip belt with everything I had and just feel it immediately slide down to my waist.

This is just an example from this weekend, but it's happened on almost every pack out. I wish I knew sooner how important loosening everything was beforehand. Now I know for sure and can make sure I do it going forward.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
How does the k3 compare to the k4 for those of you that have used both. EXO became very popular with everything before the K4, and I have a lot more than just a pack I want to upgrade, just curious if a used K3 would fit the bill.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
In my opinion it really depends on the person and how the pack fits them. For me I generally run with stone glacier as they fit me very well.

That said if your truly carrying extremely heavy loads then the barneys freighter pack is hard to beat. Assuming it fits you well.

I will take my stone glacier all day for loads of 80 to 90 lbs or less, but if I'm packing serious weight in excess of 100 lbs then it's the barneys for me hands down.
My buddy just bought a Barney's, I had never heard of them. But it sure seems like they might be the "best". Not very popular among western hunters for some reason.

So sorry if this gets long winded but this is what I have tried.

Alpz outdoors, kifaru duplex lite w 44mag , stone glacier sky 5900 , mystery ranch beartooth 80 .

To preface this all packs were set and sized appropriately for me . All packs carried a load of 60lbs , I'm 5'8 170lbs with a 31" waist .

We will start with the kifaru since it's seems to be a fan favorite. For starters the pack was very robust and stiff which was to be expected . The hip belt was comfy, but for the life of me with a heavy load I had a bad hip pinch making my hip feel like it was on fire down the outside of my leg . I adjusted it a few different ways and the issue persisted . The lumbar pad was awesome but for the life of me the hip pain persisted . And I couldn't get over the painful hikes out . None the less a great pack , however just not for me.

Alps outdoors commander x was a great pack ( my first pack ) and honestly for the price point it carried the weight very very well , I packed out an entire mule deer in one trip , bone in on that pack . Only about 2 miles , it sucked yes and I was uncomfortable yes . But over all I didn't have any hip pinch or issues in the shoulders . After about a mile I did feel way more fatigued then I feel like I should have.

Mystery ranch beartooth 80 , great pack , not a fan of the layout that's why I'm selling mine . But I also had a little hip pinch in this pack aswell with a load over 40# total in the bag , gear included , hunted in the back country with this pack for 10 days, and honestly it wasn't awful but I did have to readjust the hip belt often . As the pack would work its way down and start to sag for me , all tho I have no rear end ( they call me frog ass). So that very well could have been a factor . Again good pack just not for me .

Stone glacier krux frame . So far this frame has been a dream I just got it a few days ago and have already hauled a load in it. And man everything just feels right for me with this pack , I don't get fatigued, I don't get hip pinch and no sag. So far the stone has been a winner for me .

I should mention the only packs that I physically owned and bought was the alpz , stone , and MR . The kifaru was borrowed from a buddy of mine who is the same size as me .

Overall, there's alot of good packs , but I just don't see myself leaving stone for any other pack .

Hope this helps.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
So sorry if this gets long winded but this is what I have tried.

Alpz outdoors, kifaru duplex lite w 44mag , stone glacier sky 5900 , mystery ranch beartooth 80 .

To preface this all packs were set and sized appropriately for me . All packs carried a load of 60lbs , I'm 5'8 170lbs with a 31" waist .

We will start with the kifaru since it's seems to be a fan favorite. For starters the pack was very robust and stiff which was to be expected . The hip belt was comfy, but for the life of me with a heavy load I had a bad hip pinch making my hip feel like it was on fire down the outside of my leg . I adjusted it a few different ways and the issue persisted . The lumbar pad was awesome but for the life of me the hip pain persisted . And I couldn't get over the painful hikes out . None the less a great pack , however just not for me.

Alps outdoors commander x was a great pack ( my first pack ) and honestly for the price point it carried the weight very very well , I packed out an entire mule deer in one trip , bone in on that pack . Only about 2 miles , it sucked yes and I was uncomfortable yes . But over all I didn't have any hip pinch or issues in the shoulders . After about a mile I did feel way more fatigued then I feel like I should have.

Mystery ranch beartooth 80 , great pack , not a fan of the layout that's why I'm selling mine . But I also had a little hip pinch in this pack aswell with a load over 40# total in the bag , gear included , hunted in the back country with this pack for 10 days, and honestly it wasn't awful but I did have to readjust the hip belt often . As the pack would work its way down and start to sag for me , all tho I have no rear end ( they call me frog ass). So that very well could have been a factor . Again good pack just not for me .

Stone glacier krux frame . So far this frame has been a dream I just got it a few days ago and have already hauled a load in it. And man everything just feels right for me with this pack , I don't get fatigued, I don't get hip pinch and no sag. So far the stone has been a winner for me .

I should mention the only packs that I physically owned and bought was the alpz , stone , and MR . The kifaru was borrowed from a buddy of mine who is the same size as me .

Overall, there's alot of good packs , but I just don't see myself leaving stone for any other pack .

Hope this helps.
Thank you. My buddy who I mentioned who just bought a Barneys was replacing a SG 7900. He had it on a goat hunt and said the bag wanted to roll and move when he had a lot of weight in it. Everyone seems to have a dissatisfied experience with packs which makes me think they are like boots, in that they don't fit everyone and you need to try a few before finding what's right for you.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
A SO is a very comfortable pack if you are carrying nothing more than your knife and a sack lunch, after that it is a no go.

The K4 is awesome, the SG is awesome but the 26” frame is to tall for me, the Kifaru is awesome but not quite on the same level as the K4 for me.

Last edited:
How does the k3 compare to the k4 for those of you that have used both. EXO became very popular with everything before the K4, and I have a lot more than just a pack I want to upgrade, just curious if a used K3 would fit the bill.

I haven’t used the k3, but put a k3 belt on my k2 and assume it carries very similar to the k3

Some had problems with the k3 slipping, but for me personally, my k1, k2 with the k2 and k3 belt all carried weight well for me and none slipped… the difference for me vs my kifaru was load stability with really heavy loads, the kifaru was more stable with a lot of weight

That’s where k4 shines, it has the same stability for me, and that classic exo comfort both in hunting mode and with super heavy loads… prior to k4, I had a very hard time deciding a favorite between my exo (k2 with k3 belt) and my kifaru, it was a toss up… the exo was more comfortable in all scenarios and carried a heavy load comfortably, but I did like the locked into your back stability of the kifaru… now it’s a very easy decision, the k4 has it all for me… it’s comfortable in all scenarios, and when coming off the mountain heavy, you can lock in a heavy load and be super stable, which is nice navigating tough terrain or blowdown with a heavy load

I appreciate the thought they put into the k4, and makes me curious how they could possibly improve on the design, but I know in a few years they will, because that’s what they do.

Another very cool thing about the k4 is the lumbar pad doesn’t trap debris and wear my back raw (only pack I’ve used that it hasn’t been a problem ever) and this is the longest I’ve had a pack and not developed a squeak somewhere, and it’s been very wet and very dirty a lot of times, so that’s a good sign

My pack is one of my favorite possessions. Everyone has their own taste in packs, but for me, I currently have zero desire to try anything else, which is another first for me… I have also tried about everything I could minus stone, and at this point I don’t think I ever will

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I haven’t used the k3, but put a k3 belt on my k2 and assume it carries very similar to the k3

Some had problems with the k3 slipping, but for me personally, my k1, k2 with the k2 and k3 belt all carried weight well for me and none slipped… the difference for me vs my kifaru was load stability with really heavy loads, the kifaru was more stable with a lot of weight

That’s where k4 shines, it has the same stability for me, and that classic exo comfort both in hunting mode and with super heavy loads… prior to k4, I had a very hard time deciding a favorite between my exo (k2 with k3 belt) and my kifaru, it was a toss up… the exo was more comfortable in all scenarios and carried a heavy load comfortably, but I did like the locked into your back stability of the kifaru… now it’s a very easy decision, the k4 has it all for me… it’s comfortable in all scenarios, and when coming off the mountain heavy, you can lock in a heavy load and be super stable, which is nice navigating tough terrain or blowdown with a heavy load

I appreciate the thought they put into the k4, and makes me curious how they could possibly improve on the design, but I know in a few years they will, because that’s what they do.

Another very cool thing about the k4 is the lumbar pad doesn’t trap debris and wear my back raw (only pack I’ve used that it hasn’t been a problem ever) and this is the longest I’ve had a pack and not developed a squeak somewhere, and it’s been very wet and very dirty a lot of times, so that’s a good sign

My pack is one of my favorite possessions. Everyone has their own taste in packs, but for me, I currently have zero desire to try anything else, which is another first for me… I have also tried about everything I could minus stone, and at this point I don’t think I ever will
Sounds like I'll be looking into a K4 for next year. Time to start selling stuff haha. Thanks for the info.

The SG load sling carries the weight higher than the others for me so i vote SG. a lot of it though is how it fits you.

Wrench

WKR
All internal frame packs will require refitting every time you take it off. It's not the pack moving on your body or suspension needing to be better....it's the load moving.

Fill a garbage bag with water and try to pick it up the same way twice.

Now put that bag in a cooler and pick up the cooler twice....piece of cake.

That example is exactly why you get better results from external frame packs. I hauled out this year's muley in one trip in an original dana designs k4 external and it was solid. I have an alaska range which is a solid shelf copy of the barney's freighter that could have been the choice with same results. I have hauled in excess of 110lbs in a mr nice, kifaru tactical, kifaru hunter, badlands original 2800 and the externals I've mentioned. The internals all need adjustment as the load setttles in. The mr has had the most brutal load ever when I killed a big mule deer 6 miles in on day 2 of a 7 day trip, so I came out early at 135#. I had to adjust a few times when I transitioned from decent to side hills...etc. the camp in my pack was fluffy enough to make it tough to really lock the load down hard......totally not the packs fault. I actually prefer that nice frame to the rest because of the way it fits me compared to my other internals.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
All internal frame packs will require refitting every time you take it off. It's not the pack moving on your body or suspension needing to be better....it's the load moving.

Fill a garbage bag with water and try to pick it up the same way twice.

Now put that bag in a cooler and pick up the cooler twice....piece of cake.

That example is exactly why you get better results from external frame packs. I hauled out this year's muley in one trip in an original dana designs k4 external and it was solid. I have an alaska range which is a solid shelf copy of the barney's freighter that could have been the choice with same results. I have hauled in excess of 110lbs in a mr nice, kifaru tactical, kifaru hunter, badlands original 2800 and the externals I've mentioned. The internals all need adjustment as the load setttles in. The mr has had the most brutal load ever when I killed a big mule deer 6 miles in on day 2 of a 7 day trip, so I came out early at 135#. I had to adjust a few times when I transitioned from decent to side hills...etc. the camp in my pack was fluffy enough to make it tough to really lock the load down hard......totally not the packs fault. I actually prefer that nice frame to the rest because of the way it fits me compared to my other internals.
When you say the internals all require adjustment as the load settles....

I would have to remove the load from my seek for example to re adjust the suspension by getting to the tri glides on the back of the frame. Are you saying you would have to remove the meat to get re adjusted?

Also, the Exo K4 for example, would that be considered an external frame? The bag removes from the frame, meant attaches to the frame and then the bag re attaches. Would that pack have the same benefits of an external like a barney's or old school Dana like you mentioned?

woods89

WKR
I had a fairly rigorous packout with a SO Lanner about a week and a half ago, and it worked great. I wish my legs had worked as well!

I can actually get the load closer to my back with it than I could with my Kifaru Duplex.

The issue, in my opinion, is simply the adjustments when taking off/putting on. I always loosen belt/shoulder straps/load lifters when I take it off. When I put it on, I generally crank my shoulder straps as tight as possible, then tighten the belt to what feels right, then tighten load lifters, then let out shoulder straps a bit, and them make a few little tweaks to load lifters and shoulder straps until it feels right.

Mitten32

WKR
Ive been using a Seek Unaweep 4800 for 6 years now. I was always happy with the pack and loved how it carried my gear. Fast forward to the last 2 years since I've been a resident out west and pack out a lot of animals every year.

I've grown to hate the pack. When it's adjusted right it is great and a joy to carry a heavy load, but it constantly needs to be adjusted. I'll use yesterday for an example. We killed a cow. We decided we would pack the whole cow out in one trip.

My pack was adjusted perfectly. With a shoulder, quarter, strap and tendy, I started back to the road and I honestly felt great. Heavy but it was carrying great. Then we stopped for a break, I dropped my pack, we rested, put my pack back on and it was a nightmare. Hip belt sliding down around my waist constantly, so I had to just suck it up and cinch down my shoulder straps and put all the weight there.

I've come to the conclusion that if I don't loosen my load lifters when I drop the pack it changes the suspension and it is no longer adjusted properly. It's not easy to remember to loosen them when you are doing a brutal packout. Is this normal on other packs? Is it that with a load that heavy no pack is going to stay where you want it

After 6 years, regardless I want to try something new. I know that pack fit can be personal and to someone's body. But what would you guys say is the best pack for carrying weight? When I first joined this forum the answer would have been Kifaru hands down, but with some recent developments from Exo and other companies I'm not sure that still rings true.

I'm thinking a Kifaru 357 Mag or an Exo K4. Curious on opinions from people who have tried and packed a lot weight on multiple brands and packs.

Thanks for any input.

Gary

I wouldn’t consider the 357 mag if you’re looking for comfort. That’s an internal frame suspension and is not going to be as comfortable under heavier loads.

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Definitely consider an AKEK pack! I know this is a Chevy vs Ford type of debate but I know several guys that have switched from other name brands and love it more than any other for hauling weight! You can try before you buy right on the website. If you don't like just return and no money lost!

You won't be disappointed!

Brandon

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I wouldn’t consider the 357 mag if you’re looking for comfort. That’s an internal frame suspension and is not going to be as comfortable under heavier loads.
I 100% was thinking 44mag but wrote 357.

I am still MR partial, loved my Crew Cab until I had to downsize due to international work. I am trying to find a DATL now as that more fits my needs.