Weight

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
I really don't see how having a pack, rifle, food, water, stove, fuel, shelter, insulation, fire, and tools comes anywhere close to "being a contestant on survivor"..... I like to eat and be comfortable as much as the next guy. If I can do it for 30 - 35 lbs I'm all for it !!!

tmoz

FNG
I usually come in at 2400-2500 per day. I tried it at 3000-3200 and was packing food out. Like I pointed out earlier, that has a lot to do with my location.

The Rx nut butters are great - I personally like the texture and flavor better than the Justin’s nut butters.

I’ll try to get a LighterPack link up at some point. I haven’t updated my list there in a while.

ETA: Here's the LighterPack link: 5 Day Hunt
The link isn't working for me, any way you still have this list available? Would love to see how you got that light!

Drenalin

WKR
The link isn't working for me, any way you still have this list available? Would love to see how you got that light!
List has changed a little from when I posted that. I'm trying a Kuiu pack again, which is working ok so far, and that reduces the weight some more. Anyway, here's a rundown of what's in my pack:

Kuiu Pro LT4000...69.5 ounces
Kuiu Rifle Holder...2.8 ounces

FHF Bino Harness...2.5 ounces
Leupold BX-4 10x42...24.1 ounces
Leupold RX1400i...5.1 ounces

Yama Mtn Gear 8.5x8.5 Tarp...14.6 ounces (with lines and stakes)
Katabatic Gear Pinion Bivy...8.1 ounces
Katabatic Gear Flex 30...24.5 ounces
Thermarest XTherm...21.9 ounces

Cook set...12 ounces (BRS stove, Toaks 650 pot + lid, fuel, mini Bic, and Ti spoon)
Befree Water Filter...2.5 ounces
Smartwater bottle...1.2 ounces

Nitecore NU25 with shockcord mod...1.2 ounces
Thermarest Z Seat...2 ounces
CMT UL Trekking Poles...10.2 ounces
Possibles...9 ounces (patch kit, first aid, poop kit, fire starter, aquamira, toothbrush, toothpaste)
iPhone XR with Mophie Juice Pack Air...9.5 ounces
Nitecore NB10000 + cables...7.6 ounces

Kifaru UL Pullout...0.8 ounces
TAG BOMB Bags...5.1 ounces
Argali Serac...2.1 ounces
Kestrel Mountain Scalpel...1 ounce
Lawson Glowire...2.4 ounces
Nitrile gloves and Dude wipes...0.6 ounces

Warbonnet Stash jacket...6 ounces
Outdoor Vitals Loftek jacket...11.5 ounces
Kuiu Peloton 97 beanie and neck gaiter...1.2 ounces
Gloves...3 ounces
Socks...2.5 ounces

That gets us to 16.5 pounds. The water bottle will be full, so add 2.2 pounds there, and then add 20 ounces of food x5 days...comes out to 25 pounds.

tmoz

FNG
List has changed a little from when I posted that. I'm trying a Kuiu pack again, which is working ok so far, and that reduces the weight some more. Anyway, here's a rundown of what's in my pack:

Kuiu Pro LT4000...69.5 ounces
Kuiu Rifle Holder...2.8 ounces

Leupold BX-4 10x42...24.1 ounces
Leupold RX1400i...5.1 ounces

Yama Mtn Gear 8.5x8.5 Tarp...14.6 ounces (with lines and stakes)
Katabatic Gear Pinion Bivy...8.1 ounces
Katabatic Gear Flex 30...24.5 ounces
Thermarest XTherm...21.9 ounces

Cook set...12 ounces (BRS stove, Toaks 650 pot + lid, fuel, mini Bic, and Ti spoon)
Befree Water Filter...2.5 ounces
Smartwater bottle...1.2 ounces

Nitecore NU25 with shockcord mod...1.2 ounces
Thermarest Z Seat...2 ounces
CMT UL Trekking Poles...10.2 ounces
Possibles...9 ounces (patch kit, first aid, poop kit, fire starter, aquamira, toothbrush, toothpaste)
iPhone XR with Mophie Juice Pack Air...9.5 ounces
Nitecore NB10000 + cables...7.6 ounces

Kifaru UL Pullout...0.8 ounces
TAG BOMB Bags...5.1 ounces
Argali Serac...2.1 ounces
Kestrel Mountain Scalpel...1 ounce
Lawson Glowire...2.4 ounces
Nitrile gloves and Dude wipes...0.6 ounces

Warbonnet Stash jacket...6 ounces
Outdoor Vitals Loftek jacket...11.5 ounces
Kuiu Peloton 97 beanie and neck gaiter...1.2 ounces
Gloves...3 ounces
Socks...2.5 ounces

That gets us to 16.5 pounds. The water bottle will be full, so add 2.2 pounds there, and then add 20 ounces of food x5 days...comes out to 25 pounds.
Thanks for putting this together, very helpful!

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Mine adds up in the 50-60 lb range currently, for a 8-10 day trip in AK....but I am sure it may grow a bit once I add a few more things.

Luked

WKR
For me mine is 37lbs for 4 days including food
Will work on trimming mine down after this season.

Luked

WKR
Man I really didnt put it all down like some do with lighterpacks.com. I started to but never really finished it.
Its nothing special really.
I could shave a little weight with my sleep system by maybe 2lbs or so but the way it is now will work for this year. I will probably upgrade some stuff after this season.

S.Clancy

WKR
26lbs for 5 days....holy crap man!!

Last year Early November CO elk hunt. I was at 50lbs for 5 days. Temps into the teens, some rain, some snow, some heat!

I'll be lighter this year. I DIY'd some gear, and I have purchased some other stuff. I am also changing my food a little. For ME under 2lbs per day of food is good. No food - NO WORK from me....LOL.

Weight all depends on where you hunt and time of year. Some places I go there is no available water. Weight goes up. If there is lots of water around weight goes down. Temperature matters too, colder = heavier. If you have a big budget, or can be super spartan, weight can go down. A cuben fiber tarp or tent only weighs a few ounces - but comes with a commensurate price tag. Eating only foods that require no cooking, and eating only enough calories to keep you alive can reduce weight. A conventional tarp like the DD solo is only 9 ounces by itself, but it doesn't leave much room for error or gear.

Find the balance of gear, comfort, food, safety, and budget. Don't pack your fears, don't pack unnecessary stuff. Then the weight is what it is. My goal this year is 40lbs or less for 5 days.....November again....
My 14 day pack weight was 50 lbs.....

5 day without weapon is around 30 lbs.

Base weight is around 20, including clothes worn and binos.

Last edited:

JD Jones

WKR
Figured I would spend a little time to just see what I’m toting in.. comes in at 31lbs 3oz with water.
Add 5 days food, 38lbs 11oz. Add r.t.h gun weight another 7lbs 2oz

SG 5900 5# 11oz
Nalgene with water 2# 9oz
SierraDesign 0 nitro no sack 2# 8oz
Kuiu Mountain Star 58.6oz
Rapide pad 29.6oz
Filo pillow 8.9oz
Food 24oz per day
CNOC & platy qd 5.8oz
Cook kit 15oz
Bino harness, binos, lens pen, comms, 47oz
Med kit 6.8oz
Kill kit 19.5oz
Camp kit 51oz (23.5 is a heavy ass Sherpa 100 goal zero)
Kestrel 5.4oz
Tripod/head/bino adapter and plate 58oz
Poles with wiser quick mount 18.3oz
Fenix hm65r 5.1oz

Edit: 11oz rain jacket and ~18oz puffy call it 1.8 for insulation clothing not on my body

JD Jones

WKR

Am I reading this right? FHF is 2.5oz? I’ve never held one. SG has been the lightest I’ve seen but at 2.5oz that’s a fraction of their 9.~oz harness

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s my work in progress for next year as I don’t have a tag this year. Planning for September in Colorado and expecting some weather, shorter trip with a clear forecast would allow me to drop some weight. My bow is 7.5lbs with 5 arrows. Rounding up to 50lbs skin out weight. https://lighterpack.com/r/h2jbf5

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ looks good; any contenders you're looking at for a shelter?
Not yet. There’s a few threads and articles I want to read then probably see what people are unloading after their hunts in couple months. Most likely freestanding 2 person. I’m a little concerned about wind ( high altitude) so a tarp doesn’t sound appropriate.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not yet. There’s a few threads and articles I want to read then probably see what people are unloading after their hunts in couple months. Most likely freestanding 2 person. I’m a little concerned about wind ( high altitude) so a tarp doesn’t sound appropriate.
It still may not be what you want, but all the Seek Outside shelters I have used (Silvertip, Silex, Cimarron, Redcliff) hold up to wind without issue. It looks like they don't have DCF options at the moment, but even the Silnylon Silex is pretty light.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
heading out on a 4 day backcountry mule deer hunt (Mission Mountain Wilderness) and the pack weighs 34 lbs all in- including 6 lbs of food, 4 lbs of water and 1/2 lb of fuel- so roughly a 24 lb base weight; that's with a 65mm spotter and full sized tripod :)

y14qRjw.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For this trip (and last week sheep hunting as well) going with my Tarptent Aeon Li- with an optional pole (I like to have both my trekking poles with when hunting rough country) and 8" Easton nail stakes it's 22 oz

kptryjs.jpg