Weird broadhead flight question

I’m not sure what’s going on.

Mathews V3 31 67@ 29, 300 spine black eagle Spartans, 125 gr point, standard BE insert with 30 gr insert weight and 4 AAE Hybrid 26’s

Field points and 125 gr Iron Will wides flying well- the SEVR 2” mech isn’t flying well at all.

Doesn’t make sense to me I’m not sure what’s happening here.

Any thoughts?

Odd that this is second thread about the Sevrs not flying well.

Are they new? Like you purchased recently directly from them?

I assume they spin fine?

OP
Jacob Chapman
Odd that this is second thread about the Sevrs not flying well.

Are they new? Like you purchased recently directly from them?

I assume they spin fine?
Yes sir they are new from the factory.

I’m going to put it on the spinner shortly to verify as I’m not sure

OP
Jacob Chapman
Do you have an arrow spinner? If so does it wobble? Have you tried more then one head?
I have not tried more than one, I’m going to take all of them out of the package & spin each one.

I did spin test every arrow I have and know those aren’t the issue.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Just spin tested it-looks fine. Idk what the deal is.

Wouldn’t think I’d be close enough on spine to where the extra length from the SEVR is causing that bad of issues?

I’m at a loss

Zac

WKR
Is it the 2 inch model? Extremely long broadheads can actually tweak your spine more than a more compact head. The Sevr's are ultra long as well due to them sticking the entire blade profile within the ferrule. Gillingham talks about this a lot. I'd say you probably need to choose one or the other. You could always try turning down your limbs a touch to see if that would bring the mechs and the fixed together.

Is it the 2 inch model? Extremely long broadheads can actually tweak your spine more than a more compact head. The Sevr's are ultra long as well due to them sticking the entire blade profile within the ferrule. Gillingham talks about this a lot. I'd say you probably need to choose one or the other. You could always try turning down your limbs a touch to see if that would bring the mechs and the fixed together.

20220905_072921.jpg

That's an IW wide 124, Sevr 125 2.0 or 2.1 (same ferrule) and a swept Exodus. I feel like the length isn't a big difference between the IW and Sevr. His spine should be fine, unless arrows are 30" or something, guess that's a possibility.

Tho thinking about it now, balance point is definitely different, more weight out front on those Sevrs. Never really considered the broadheads FOC.

I would try a different head. There is no way this thing flys worse ( if it’s not bent or has a significant wobble) then an iron will wide just because it’s 1/2” longer. Maybe if your shooting softballs at 80 yards but not noticeably egregiously worse at 20-50.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Yes sir it’s the 2” model.

I’ll try turning down the limb bolts a quarter turn, see what happens.

Reactions: Zac
OP
Jacob Chapman
View attachment 448540

That's an IW wide 124, Sevr 125 2.0 or 2.1 (same ferrule) and a swept Exodus. I feel like the length isn't a big difference between the IW and Sevr. His spine should be fine, unless arrows are 30" or something, guess that's a possibility.

Tho thinking about it now, balance point is definitely different, more weight out front on those Sevrs. Never really considered the broadheads FOC.
I don’t know what to say, doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I would try a different head. There is no way this thing flys worse ( if it’s not bent or has a significant wobble) then an iron will wide just because it’s 1/2” longer. Maybe if your shooting softballs at 80 yards but not noticeably egregiously worse at 20-50.
I’m going to try another Sevr, and if that one spins well but doesn’t fly I’ll just sell em. I think Rage has a more compact profile vs the Sevr and will try them.

I’d rather not be exclusively shooting the IW heads as they are super pricey.

I’m not softball at 80 level good, but I can hit paper plate to 80 pretty consistently with field points (haven’t ever shot bh’s that far).

I did real well at TAC South Dakota- some really long shots there, but again all with field points.

Last edited:

WKR
I just had great flight in practice and in the field at 38 yards on a critter with a Sevr 1.5. Terminal performance was excellent as well. I'll be shooting them more in practice and hunting this fall and they have been impacting exactly with my 125 fieldpoints.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I have found Sevrs to fly really well in the past, I'm curious why people are having issues when they are getting fixed blades to fly, especially something like the IW wide.
I used to shoot the Ulmer Edge and those flew awesome.

I don’t get it at all. I’ve been bowhunting almost 20 years and never had an issue with mech’s flying.

I really want to get the SEVR flying well, or at least with my IW’s so I can shoot both

I used to shoot the Ulmer Edge and those flew awesome.

I don’t get it at all. I’ve been bowhunting almost 20 years and never had an issue with mech’s flying.

I really want to get the SEVR flying well, or at least with my IW’s so I can shoot both

You haven't been the only one. I just find it odd, maybe something has happened in recent production, however if they spin fine I can't see what else would be causing issues.

Thread 'Tuning Driving Me Crazy - PSE EVL 34' https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/tuning-driving-me-crazy-pse-evl-34.272386/

Trial153

WKR
I am only shooting the 1.5s and man they fly fantastic. At 75 yards, I can put it, an IW s/b and field point in group that I have pull them out to know which is which.

Maybe it’s the arrow? Is the nock end square if the front end is spinning true?

Last thing to check…and don’t ask me how I know this, make sure the head is the proper weight. I know some mutt that mixed up 125 with hundred grain broadheads and was charging his tail all afternoon trying to figure out why his sight tape was screwed up

OP
Jacob Chapman
I am only shooting the 1.5s and man they fly fantastic. At 75 yards, I can put it, an IW s/b and field point in group that I have pull them out to know which is which.

Maybe it’s the arrow? Is the nock end square if the front end is spinning true?

Last thing to check…and don’t ask me how I know this, make sure the head is the proper weight. I know some mutt that mixed up 125 with hundred grain broadheads and was charging his tail all afternoon trying to figure out why his sight tape was screwed up
I’m gonna get in touch with SEVR, see if they’ll let me swap out the 2.0 for the 1.5”s since they are a shorter profile & see if they fly better.

Nocks seem to fit well, and I put all 18 arrows on a spinner, had 5 that weren’t perfect so I labeled them for practice only.

Before I sell the heads/send them back I’ll try nock tuning & also try the other heads on different arrows.

Getting real close to opening day & need to get this figured out asap or just shoot the IW’s for everything I guess.

Wapiti1

WKR
Maybe you did, but did you try a different arrow with the SEVR 2.0? It's a long shot (no pun intended), but I've had weird results with some arrows.

Jeremy