Weird find in the woods

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hoping someone else might be able to shed some light on this:
In the woods this last month chasing elk and stumbled upon a 15ft circle of trees with spray painted numbers at the base. We were two miles in and off trail on USFS. They started with one at about southeast and went clockwise up to 11. Trees had no other markings and there wasn't any trash or disturbance on the ground. I've hunted the area many years and never stumbled on anything like this.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20231001_095136_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231001_095147_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231001_095157_Gallery.jpg

Trencher

FNG
At the risk of being a smart azz, ran out of paint, or couldn’t count any higher ? It always puzzles me what some people are capable of doing out there. I have seen some questionable stuff over the last 40 years. These live free or die types that are popping up all over don’t seem to have alot going on I’d think something like that, it’s nothing to do with forest service.

TreeDux

FNG
In the woods this last month chasing elk and stumbled upon a 15ft circle of trees with spray painted numbers at the base. We were two miles in and off trail on USFS. They started with one at about southeast and went clockwise up to 11. Trees had no other markings and there wasn't any trash or disturbance on the ground. I've hunted the area many years and never stumbled on anything like this.

Thoughts?

View attachment 608431
View attachment 608432
View attachment 608433
Timber plot or research plot maybe. The circular nature makes it seem like a prism plot but I have never seen one marked like that. To be on the safe side I wouldn’t stand in it at midnight.

When I worked for the FS, that was used for characterizing tree stands, inventorying fuel loads and habitat typing. As I remember we surveyed to a point then in a circular motion they would inventory the size, species and density of trees at that point. I remember doing similar things in inventorying fuel loading. That was in the early 1970s when there was Service in the Forest Service.

mi650

WKR
I've probably posted this story before, but:

I was out pheasant hunting once, just my lab and me. He found a dead coon. I didn't really think much of it, but decided to roll it over with my boot. There was a hole in it's chest,, about 2"x3",, and it's heart was gone. No other damage that I saw.

Another time, in the same area, we found a LOT of pot plants in the middle of a corn field. Several patches of them scattered throughout the field. Went back 3 days later and they were all gone.

KsRancher

WKR
In a Colorado wilderness area 10yrs ago I was hunting right at treeline and a boulder field. Came across a couple of aluminum shackle/hinge like pieces. A long ways from a road and a place that didn't appear to have ever been logged. I don't have a picture. But I can't think of a reason something like that would have been up there.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider

Thoughts?

View attachment 608431
View attachment 608432
View attachment 608433
That’s a classic…Analog alien beacon. Predates the digital age!